Clay works

300rag

It's Not Going to Shift Itself
Reaction score
I tried a clay bar for the first time today. Damn, it did a fine job. Slick and shiny now.

reflection.jpg

Now you'll start to try different clay bars! I like the blue Meguiars with their detail spray as a lube.

Been using the clay for years now, sure does make a difference doesn't it? Its extra work, but worth it in my opinion.

I also use Meguiar's 3 step system after claying. Cleaner, Polish, then Wax. Always looks great and gets lots of positive comments from strangers who see my cars.

Last edited:
Here's a tip using Clay Bars..... instead of using the wet spray they suggest or provide ie; in a Mother's Kit, just use regular car wash soap and suds up the area to be clayed and run the clay bar. I've found the soap provides a more slippery surface and the procedure finishes up much faster. And you don't have to keep spraying a little area here and a little area there.

Now you'll start to try different clay bars! I like the blue Meguiars with their detail spray as a lube.

Big John, whats the blue bar advantage? Have only used the white bars from Meguiars and the gold bars from Mother's as 300rag stated. Didn't see any difference in those.

Big John, whats the blue bar advantage? Have only used the white bars from Meguiars and the gold bars from Mother's as 300rag stated. Didn't see any difference in those.
It's mostly personal preference. The blue clay is the mild version of their professional line. They have an aggressive red clay too.

I've tried a couple different clay bars with different lubes (soap etc.) and the blue with their detail spray does the best job for me and is, hands down, the fastest.

Auto Geek has some decent "how to" instructions. Auto detailing clay, detail clay bar, clay lubricant, Pinnacle Poly Clay, Wolfgang, auto detail clay, meguiar's detailing clay, auto clay bar

Wax comes before polish. Polish finishes the process. That's why when you use polish and nothing else, not a lot happens.

Sorry Patrick, I'm going to have to disagree with you on the polish. WAX is LAST.

Process I've used and believe to be valid is from Maguiars recommendations.

Wash - Using 2 bucket method
Dry - Shammy to prevent water spots
Clay Bar - To remove contaminants from the surface of the paint.
Paint Cleaner - Another step to ensure a clean contaminant free paint surface.
Paint Polish - Buffs and conditions the "bare" paint surface.
Wax - Carnauba wax to protect the paint from the elements.

I also like to hand wipe the car down with a clean lint free towel between each of the above steps. Very tedious, but the results are worth the effort.

Meguiar's : Home

I've always used polish last. Compound, clay bar, wax, polish. I use compound only on a car with very oxidized paint. Never had an issue going that route.

I would have to agree with Mopar & Missiles. Polish has a very very fine grit to it which is how it is able to make the paint/clear coat shine. Wax on the other hand is the protectant of the paints finish. If you were to use polish over the wax coating you are essentially removing the wax you had just previously put on. Wax when properly applied will still give the Polish look without swirl marks.

Think of it sandpaper, polish being more coarse than wax.

Found out the Maguiar wax actually takes off quite some paint like a mild polish. I skip the polishing part with most of my cars as the paint is in good shape the polishing effect with that wax is enough for my Standards.

Found out the Maguiar wax actually takes off quite some paint like a mild polish. I skip the polishing part with most of my cars as the paint is in good shape the polishing effect with that wax is enough for my Standards.
Sounds like a "cleaner/wax" type of product. They do a little bit of polishing in addition to waxing.

Back