Cowl Drain Holes

MarPar

Meat Man with a Hat
Reaction score
1969 Newport 2 door hardtop...

I finally got around to taking apart the cowl panels and vacuumed out the cowl wells.

I want to make sure the drain holes in the cowl are not stopped up. the FSM mentions the drains, but it does not say specifically where they are, and I have searched the forum to no avail.

Could one of y'all point me in the right direction as to where these drain holes are?

thank you!

a few pics for your viewing pleasure..

DSC06691.JPG
DSC06698.JPG
DSC06717.JPG

DSC06721.JPG

Hi Mario,
On my Polara they are off to the left and right with a smaller one running under the wiper motor...
These drains are huge and usually can hold about 2 lbs of crap on each side going down the rear part of the front fenders
The holes are actually about the size of 1/4" x 1" between the front door and the rear of the wheel well on each side of the car.
I can check out the Newport later but I have a feeling they are in the same areas

There is one under the wiper motor. the Sides just drain into the air plenum behind the kick panels, the is a drain there but the fenders need to come off to clean.
2012-02-02_002.jpg

The center one can be seen right under the wiper motor and above the throttle cable.

The side ones can barely be seen a few inches back on the side and a couple inches up from the bottom.

Alan

here is a better picture of the lower side ones.
2014-03-01_001.jpg

You can reach in here with the kick panel and vent removed.

Alan

thanks Tommy and Alan.

So basically I have to take the fenders off to clean said holes?

edit: did not see your last 2 posts, Alan.

I will poke around tonight and see if I can find the holes behind the kick panel.

the rubber flap is covering up the drain under the wiper motor?

thanks Tommy and Alan.

So basically I have to take the fenders off to clean said holes?
You should be able to get to them from inside by removing the kick panels and vents.
You might be able to just unblolt the fender at the bottom and pull it out a little.

Alan

So you say I may be able to get to the ones on the side if I loosen up the fender a little bit?

When and if I can get to those holes, should I just shoot air up there?

Mario

So you say I may be able to get to the ones on the side if I loosen up the fender a little bit?

When and if I can get to those holes, should I just shoot air up there?

I would try to access them through the kick panel vents first, you can scoop out any leaves this way.

This was from a water test after I fixed an issue with water getting in the car.
2014-03-01_005.jpg

Alan

I would try to access them through the kick panel vents first, you can scoop out any leaves this way.

This was from a water test after I fixed an issue with water getting in the car.
2014-03-01_005.jpg

Alan

I do have the interior out at present (because of a water leak) so ill try that route first. Im a bit worried about taking the cowl vent door out though. I was reading the FSM last night, and it doesnt look easy.

I do have the interior out at present (because of a water leak) so ill try that route first. Im a bit worried about taking the cowl vent door out though. I was reading the FSM last night, and it doesnt look easy.

The kick panel vents are just held in with a dozen screws, nothing difficult about it. Easy enough to do regularly just to clean them.

Alan

oh. I thought you had to take out the cowl vent door and assorted accessories...it's just the panel itself?

Just be sure I'm clear where I am talking about...
69Kick1.jpg
69Kick2.jpg

The sill plates need to come up first.

Alan

yes sir. that is it. my entire interior is out at present, so access to it will be easy peasy.

for whatever reason I thought that on the drivers side there is a vent door blocking access to the bottom of the rocker.

I currently have both kick panels off, but it has been a while since ive been in the wheelhouse of the olde girl.

ill give it a look see tonight.

thank you so much for all your help Alan and Tommy!!

Mario

Back