Dilemma

streetmachine

Reaction score
Hey all, I just wanted to get a quick take on this and normally don't post stuff like this. I have a deal locked on a car but, my hurdle is selling my Dakota Convertible that I've had for sale for since October at a great price. I've had some interest but, people talking about waiting after the 1st of the year. I think its just the time of the year as well. Anyways, my other hurdle is my wife. She says no other cars until I sell the truck but, the problem is this vehicle is option how I want it and it is local and I know what it is. There has been some interest in this car and I have until January to go through fully with the purchase.

In regards to my wife, I love and respect her. I've always did the wait until I have sold thing as asked. But, I had to settle for less (miss opportunities) in the options or condition department because of waiting for other vehicles to sell. Over the past year I've been helping/contributing my wife save money for a new car and save money in general. There has been times when I have helped her pay bills and she has done the same in the past for me. I will continue to help her but, I don't want to miss an opportunity as this will be the last old car I buy for a while and it's the only hobby I really have other than storm chasing.

My plan is to take out a small loan (unless the truck sells) and pay it off once the truck sells. This is a one time opportunity in my eyes and I've already missed enough opportunities. I still plan on selling the truck anyways but, I'm also trying to be a good husband but, I also know that if I miss this opportunity it will cost me more money in the long run due to traveling and then having to go back through another search which is a pain. I always support her in what she does and never complain because I know it makes her happy. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts is?

You need to tell this to your wife. If this deal is to good to pass up, then I hope she will agree. I would calmly explain that the car would be paid off when the Dakota sells, and it will sell. Good luck. Please don't go behind your wife's back and do this deal. She won't forget it, ever.

Forgiveness is easier than permission. Ultimately you know your finances. If this is something that you can afford, then pull the trigger. If you have been buying crap on a regular basis and are in debt up to your eyeballs, take a pass. So what I would do, since you have until Jan, is put a deposit (get a written receipt) on it, and price your truck to sell. Almost wholesale. List it on ebay. Move it.

Over the past year I've been helping/contributing my wife save money for a new car and save money in general. There has been times when I have helped her pay bills and she has done the same in the past for me. I will continue to help her but

This is a one time opportunity in my eyes and I've already missed enough opportunities. I still plan on selling the truck anyways but, I'm also trying to be a good husband but, I also know that if I miss this opportunity it will cost me more money in the long run due to traveling and then having to go back through another search which is a pain. I always support her in what she does and never complain because I know it makes her happy. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts is?

Remember you asked what peoples thoughts were;

Sounds more like a boyfriend/girlfriend arangement than a husband/wife. Never understood people getting married and keeping things separate. But whatever. Given the construct of your relationship dynamic, I'd say buy it, it's obviously your money.

Thanks everyone. I will try to her to see what she says but, I have a feeling she what she will tell me. We don't have things necessarily separate. We have a joint account for bills but, I have been paying most of the bills except most of the grocery stuff even then I clip coupons. I guess I'll see how it all plays out. I have a feeling she will tell me "no" so I guess it is what it is.

Thanks everyone. I will try to her to see what she says but, I have a feeling she what she will tell me. We don't have things necessarily separate. We have a joint account for bills but, I have been paying most of the bills except most of the grocery stuff even then I clip coupons. I guess I'll see how it all plays out. I have a feeling she will tell me "no" so I guess it is what it is.

My comments come from being divorced....You are discussing issues, have common goals and appear to have a give and take relationship. It would be different if she was telling you "No" all of the time and then spending the money foolishly. Alot of people wait until the first of the year to get their tax refund. Sometimes waiting for things gives you time to see how important it is to you. Either the reasoning to purchase is stronger or you decide to wait for another opportunity.

If you need to borrow to get the vehicle, then you can't afford it. Sell your truck first then go search for your dream vehicle. Patience will reward you.

Hey all, I just wanted to get a quick take on this and normally don't post stuff like this. I have a deal locked on a car but, my hurdle is selling my Dakota Convertible that I've had for sale for since October at a great price. I've had some interest but, people talking about waiting after the 1st of the year. I think its just the time of the year as well. Anyways, my other hurdle is my wife. She says no other cars until I sell the truck but, the problem is this vehicle is option how I want it and it is local and I know what it is. There has been some interest in this car and I have until January to go through fully with the purchase.

In regards to my wife, I love and respect her. I've always did the wait until I have sold thing as asked. But, I had to settle for less (miss opportunities) in the options or condition department because of waiting for other vehicles to sell. Over the past year I've been helping/contributing my wife save money for a new car and save money in general. There has been times when I have helped her pay bills and she has done the same in the past for me. I will continue to help her but, I don't want to miss an opportunity as this will be the last old car I buy for a while and it's the only hobby I really have other than storm chasing.

My plan is to take out a small loan (unless the truck sells) and pay it off once the truck sells. This is a one time opportunity in my eyes and I've already missed enough opportunities. I still plan on selling the truck anyways but, I'm also trying to be a good husband but, I also know that if I miss this opportunity it will cost me more money in the long run due to traveling and then having to go back through another search which is a pain. I always support her in what she does and never complain because I know it makes her happy. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts is?

Ok !! You asked and I am going to give you my opinion strait from where it counts .......

1. Your Married !!
In regards to my wife, I love and respect her, As you should as she should you !
2. I've been helping/contributing my wife save money for a new car and save money in general. See #1 above.
3. There has been times when I have helped her pay bills and she has done the same in the past for me. See #1 above.
4. My plan is to take out a small loan (unless the truck sells) and pay it off once the truck sells. This is a one time opportunity in my eyes You have a workable plan, explain it clearly, calmly and concisely to your wife as well as See #1 above.
5. I always support her in what she does and never complain because I know it makes her happy. See #1 above.
6. If you and your wife both agree with the above answers to the above five items there should be no problem with you buying this car, Your in a marriage damn it where everything is equal 100 percent 50/50 and not a mirage with each of you having two separate visions heading to a place that does not exist. Conversation, reasoning, understanding, acceptance and love is what makes the marriage work. Now I do not know your whole life situation and how you and your wife get along but in my eyes the above for me is and has been tried and successful for over 26 years of my first marriage and is equally working well on my new marriage now for the past six months.

Best of luck !!!

Paul

here's another opinion...

If you have to take a "small loan" to buy this car I would not do it. It can be a big thing in life with old cars but for most of us its just a hobby(nice to have).
It's amaizing how our dreams can affect us. To convince yourself you can easy find a lot of reasons to buy this particular car. This is the best deal...This will never come back.. this car is what I have been dreaming of for many years....I will never ever have this chance again etc etc....
Sometimes our wifes can see things from att better angle. So ask yourself, is it worth it. ... and just by starting this thread....i read it that your are not 100% sure yourself...
Good luck!
/Ola

No loans for a car ever unless you need it to make money. Getting to work is the best example.
Never count your eggs before they are hatched.
No loans for toys. Period. You could be injured next week and can't work. The roof can start to leak. Your own car may need brakes A to Z next week.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have a better suggestion how about you make me a sandwich? I like special stuff as long as it isn't Roadkill. The only reason why I proposed the loan was so that I wouldn't miss out and would pay it back anyways since my truck is worth more than the vehicle of interest. Like I said, if I could can obtain it will be the last one I would buy. The amount is small in my eyes anyways. Having the money isn't the issue but, trying not to touch savings. But, after reading elsewhere I think I've got a good proposal on things. Thanks again.

Back