Disc brake conversion?

63Imperial

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I recently purchased my first big boat, a 1963 Imperial Crown four door hardtop. I have gone through the brakes a few times, bled and adjusted, etc. I still don't have the stopping power I would like to have in this big car. Of course, with four drums and a GVW of 5,200 lbs I can't expect it to stop on a dime. However, I have been talking with a Mopar buddy of mine at work, and he has suggested a disc brake changeover. I think it's a great idea, but I am not sure how to go about it. He says he has everything for disc brakes from a 1976-77 era New Yorker. I am not sure what else I may need to do the conversion. I know the Imp will no longer be original, but how can you frown upon a brake upgrade? Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to provide any input or additional advice or suggestions. I really appreciate any help.

Not too sure of how schooled you are in this endeavor but I highly recommend buying a complete conversion kit from a reputable supplier. To hell with the old $h!t - it doesn't come with instructions or technical support and can be a serious effort to install. Let some one else do the engineering for you, that's what they do and they know there's a lot of liability on the line. I highly advocate the upgrade but I also recommend spending some "dime" and talking directly to the manufacturer. Sometimes a small investment this way can save a lot of coin that you'd spend needlessly on parts you don't really need. Nice part is that most aftermarket systems have a reserve of parts for later (disk pads) or the manufacturer will tell you what "parts house" parts work with their system. I use Corvette pads on my SSBC system so I can pick the pad material and pad manufacturer and get them most anywhere. They actually use Corvette calipers for their system for my car - lucky me. Good luck. Do it once, do it right!

Thank you, I was unaware that there were kits available for the car. I know my first step is to change to a newer master cylinder, if one is not provided with said kit. It is the old single pot cylinder, I believe a 1967 or so will fit with the same length rod/piston. I will do some further research on the conversion kit, as I work at a parts store; I may be able to get a hell of a deal.

Back