Does anyone here have a 440 powered 66 Fury?

strokerpost

Reaction score
I've pretty much decided to keep my 66 Fury III that was my dad's and do the 440 swap that he was collecting parts to do. What I'm asking from you guys (and gals) is to help me with info on the differences underhood in my 318 poly car and a factory 440 Fury. If you have a 66 Fury with a 440 and its either a factory 440 car and still correct appearing, or if you have done what I'm gonna do and did a swap to look factory, I'd REALLY appreciate underhood pix, LOTS of pix. Lol. I'd like to see some good close up pix of the throttle and kickdown linkages, bellcrank etc. Also correct valve covers and intake. This is a non-A/C car that will be getting aftermarket A/C at some point. This will just be a lot easier than swapping the dash and heater box and cutting more holes etc. Anything you can help me with in the way of the differences would be appreciated.
ken

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

Last edited:
Kool, start posting fellas and ladies, this mans got a job to do!
A suggestion would be a google images search but it wouldn't be as much fun as getting what you need here.

Nice ride! If you are really going to undertake this project your should get a factory service manual to know for sure how the BBs were supposed to be set up. Pics are a good secondary resource.

Nice ride! If you are really going to undertake this project your should get a factory service manual to know for sure how the BBs were supposed to be set up. Pics are a good secondary resource.
That is a good thought, ill have to start scoping out ebay. Thanks. Once my back is healed up good enough to do some things and once i have a decent pile of parts gathered, ill start the project and try to document it all here for any that would be interested.

That is a good thought, ill have to start scoping out ebay. Thanks. Once my back is healed up good enough to do some things and once i have a decent pile of parts gathered, ill start the project and try to document it all here for any that would be interested.

I transplanted a 440 and a 4 speed into a 66 Fury I had that was a /6 3 speed manual car. THAT WAS TOUGH. Your 318 replacement will be a pc. of cake in comparison. Sorry, I don't have any pics left but I can help from memory.

< Sent from my tablet >

I have a 67 Fury III with a 440. Was a 318 car but didn't run. Acquired the 440 and dove right in without doing any research...that was dumb on my part. From the word go, I had fitment issues. The engine/ trans bolted up in the factory small block locations, but the engine was so close to the firewall that I had to trim the pinch weld on the firewall so I could bolt the manifolds on. Quickly realized I had no room for stock style kick down linkage I used Lo-car throttle & kick-down cables which actually work really well and look better than stock style. I did not know about needing different motor mount to place the engine in the correct location and as a result, the BIGGEST issue I have is if/when I have to pull the right side valve cover off I have to pull the heater blower motor out as well. Also, don't put a 7qt oil pan on. Didn't know about the steering clearance with the idler arm. Other than that I drive the hell out of it! One plus to my dilemma is I have LOTS of room for electric fans.

I've pretty much decided to keep my 66 Fury III that was my dad's and do the 440 swap that he was collecting parts to do. What I'm asking from you guys (and gals) is to help me with info on the differences underhood in my 318 poly car and a factory 440 Fury. If you have a 66 Fury with a 440 and its either a factory 440 car and still correct appearing, or if you have done what I'm gonna do and did a swap to look factory, I'd REALLY appreciate underhood pix, LOTS of pix. Lol. I'd like to see some good close up pix of the throttle and kickdown linkages, bellcrank etc. Also correct valve covers and intake. This is a non-A/C car that will be getting aftermarket A/C at some point. This will just be a lot easier than swapping the dash and heater box and cutting more holes etc. Anything you can help me with in the way of the differences would be appreciated.
ken
hope these pictures come out. they are from my 66 fury 440 4 speed numbers matching wagon. 100_0415.jpg100_0420.jpg

100_0415.jpg

100_0420.jpg

That car is amazing, I think we'd all like to see more of it. Click the box that says "Forum" in it at the top of this page, then scroll down through the list to the forum titled "Members projects and restorations" and click on that. Once on that page you will see a box that says "start new thread" just above the list of threads, click that and you'll get it from there.

That car is amazing, I think we'd all like to see more of it. Click the box that says "Forum" in it at the top of this page, then scroll down through the list to the forum titled "Members projects and restorations" and click on that. Once on that page you will see a box that says "start new thread" just above the list of threads, click that and you'll get it from there.
thanks detmatt i will do that and post some pics of the progress on this badboy.

Did you buy this car off E-bay? A big block 4 speed wagon how rare is that.

My 66 is an original 440 car, but it's not stock. I can post a few pics of the engne bay if that would help you, but like I said, it's not stock. Can I ask why you want to go with a 440 transplant? Alot of work is ahead of you and some major cash to do this. Why don't you put in a crate 360hp motor,..or if you're not looking for an hp package, have the 318 rebuilt better than new with some good upgrades.

Back