Donny's 1970 300

You used a u-joint kit on a Chrysler do you have a aftermarket steering column, does it have a slip joint in it.

You used a u-joint kit on a Chrysler do you have a aftermarket steering column, does it have a slip joint in it.
No aftermarket column, stock one. What's a Slip Joint? I joined the lower steering column to the gear box with the U-Joint kit and shaft from Flaming River. They don't make a 'kit' for this application, I had to piece one together, but, they have the U Joints, and an 8" shaft, cut it to fit, but, don't rush, can't cut it too short. Upper and Lower U-Joints are different part numbers from Flaming River, but, it has the slightest feeling of less sloppiness in the steering -- and in these cars, anything to improve that feeling is worth it.

IMG_6904.jpgIMG_6906.jpgIMG_6907.jpg

IMG_6904.jpg

IMG_6906.jpg

IMG_6907.jpg

Nice, Donny. Did the exact same thing on my Polara & it took all the slop out, hopefully forever. The guys doing my build said that's the only way they ever do em.

Wow, it's been a while! Update time! Well, I've been busy working on other people's cars and their project stuff, Media Blasting and changing Floors, Qtrs, Dash, Roofs, Wheelhouses, etc. for them all, and never get time to do my own stuff! Well, this month of August I've been lucky to have my part time High Schooler helping me out for the summer enabling me to get caught up and 'ahead' slightly on stuff that belongs to customers. This and last week I've been working on the 300, and my Satellite (see B Body for that thread).

The main painter, actually, the ONLY painter over at musclerodshop.com has a 70 Charger, and he and I will be swapping services. I Media Blast his car and parts, he does the bodywork on my 300 and its parts. It's not a straight swap, I'll reimburse him, and I'll be buying all the supplies, but, his work is flawless. It will be a slow-go, Fender here, Hood there, next Fender, etc. But, it will allow me to undo the horrendous work I did on this car starting in circa 1984, again in 1987, then, again and starting again in 1997. All was based on my time and availability as I was still then in the US Army, but, not now! I'm retired baby! lol!

So, both donor 300 Fenders came off recently, along with the Inner front Fenders, all remaining trim, etc has come off, inner fenders have been media blasted, main Fenders will get that service this weekend. I'll prime them, and take them to the painter at MRS. It's all a bit here, and there, as likely many of you know all too well.

So I'm new to C-bodies and to this thread, but just wanted to commend you on your car and your service to our country! This thread was an interesting read. I'm blown away that you could even order a console in a 4-door C-body, never seen one??!?! And then to top it off the U-code TNT motor. Can't be more than a handful of those built like that.

I'm getting started on my first C-body project, a 1971 300 2-dr with the U-code and console options as well. I'm enthralled with the 1970-71 300s.

Keep up the good work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4hDgb9AXIU&list=UUL24L00cTkLS_sFPwtMgr-w

I took a little drive today, there's a lot of stuff to do on this car, a LOT! Yeah, my grandfather ordered this car this way, it is indeed rare that it has the console in a 4 dr car! The bucket seats are way cool too, not power, not power anything, except brakes and steering, it has Air conditioning, AM radio, and rear window blower motor, one mirror and it's remote controlled, roll down windows on all 4 doors. The next big thing I'm doing is fix the exhaust system!

Yeah Donny, it seems to be running like crap! Sounds like Christine when she got back from smoking Buddy & Moochie.

I know what the crap is; old gas! Carb will have to come off and get a complete clean! Anyone here that can't recall the days when you'd buy gasoline, and it could sit for weeks or months, and still be potent? I do, and I miss those days!

Too cool Donny!

I wish I had my Grandpa's last car....1976 Valiant with a Slant 6.

I miss gas that doesn't absorb moisture...

DrBlast (specializing in plastic media blasting) Follow up on this car. The exhaust system drivers side muffler is bad, had a blow out on the top of the muffler, how and why this happened I don't know, but, I know I'm rendering a solution! Also, got the new style flexible exhaust connectors which I'll be fitting them in the immediate area (like 1-2 inches from the exhaust manifold) allowing (as intended) the exhaust system to remain immovable as the engine moves in its motor mounts side to side - keeping from breaking anything!

I lifted my 'status' from my fb page and put it above as it's about the 300, and this is the C Body place for sure! Also, today I had my HS Senior helper come by after school to give him some Carb cleaning 101 lessons. He removed it, kept track of clips, hoses, couplings, etc as I instructed him to do, put it on the work table and handed him 2 cans of AutoZone carb cleaner I got today on sale, he was very timid in cleaning the outside, I showed him how it's done, he 'got it' and cleaned the entire outside off. I then showed him how to remove the top cover plate and he did, and, he was careful (which is good) and Matt is right, the Carb was filled with crap, crappy gas is crap! Some more carb cleaner inside and drenching it, then, some small towels to get inside and wipe down everything that didn't come out, he put it back on hooked it all back up, I checked it, and it looks good. Will test fire it tomorrow to ensure things are good to go.

Also, today, on my 300 I finally fixed the right rear door latch enabling me being able to open this from the outside for the first time since 1980, yes, 1980! All this time I've been reaching over the seat and opening the door that way thinking something let loose inside. Well, lucky for me I'm right next to an Upholstery shop, he came over with his Door Panel removal tool (which I don't have) and I assisted him in taking it apart (as they do these all the time). He was impressed that the Door panel has never been off (so was I), and, after about an hour of activating the push in button on the outside, watching the mechanisms move, doing the same with the interior door opening handle, I figured out it needed to be adjusted. Above the Latch in the Door Jam, not the doorjam, but in the Door, above the screws that hold the Latch into the Door, well, right above the screws is a little access hole, and, a set screw / socket head screw was right inside this little hole. I loosened it up, this freed up this mechanism which I moved over a bit -- this enabled the door opening button to start to work! Those amazing engineers at Chrysler, all mechanical levers, rods, connectors, amazing! Nothing electronic inside these door, nothing!

Today I fabricated in some flexible exhaust pipes to fit right off the exhaust manifolds. This car used to have a crude flexible system, but, I seemed to have tossed them thinking they of no worth, or, I can replace them later, haha, lesson learned, don't throw ANYTHING away ever! These new flexible pipes are very cool, very cool!
IMG_2589.jpgIMG_2591.jpgIMG_2595.jpgIMG_2597.jpgIMG_2598.jpgIMG_2599.jpgIMG_2600.jpgIMG_2601.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg

IMG_2591.jpg

IMG_2595.jpg

IMG_2597.jpg

IMG_2598.jpg

IMG_2599.jpg

IMG_2600.jpg

IMG_2601.jpg

Back