Don't need a engine to go fast.

Turboomni

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
No engine 545 mph. They blew away 400 mph many years ago. Most videos you can't see it . No small feat to pilot these rc aircraft. I have met many an airline pilot and then ask me why i know so much as an enthusiast,, I tell them I build and fly RC airplanes and helicopters. Many said to me that is much harder to do than pilot a real one. Cause they tried it.

Last edited:
I watched my buddy crash his stuff and decided to save my money and just keep watching him crash. Fun, but expensive. I still remember looking through tons of magazines and catalogs, dreaming of some cool planes I couldn't afford.

Thanks for posting.
I had flown R/C for many years but lost interest due to the expense & politics of the local flying clubs...
Agree on the fact that the choppers are very difficult to fly having heard that the hand eye coordination is the most difficult to master of any task.
Still have my first kit from the kids back in 1991 It's suspended(inverted) in the garage now
It's a Hobby Dynamics Sportee 60 sport flier that was designed to be an introduction to aerobatics along with being a docile plane for the weekend flier
I've logged close to 200 flights with this one if not more.

I gifted my collection last year to a young R/C enthusiast that was the grandson of a senior member I trained back in the mid 90's
IMG_3231.jpg
IMG_3237.JPG

I have been in RC since the early 1980's and control line airplanes before that. Built many kits over the years and am now building a 7 foot wingspan antique design. First kit since 1990. I am very rusty at building with wood. Also fly helicopters alot. Here is one from my collection,a Minature Aircraft which WAS an American company that went out of business 5 or 6 years ago. This one is an RC antique and is all mechanical mixing unlike the simpler computer mixing of today. This actual heli kit was manufactured in 1994. It is all carbon fiber . Carbon main blades and a rotor diameter of 5 feet spinning at 1800 rpms. An unshrouded lawn mower actually. On top is an onboard generator spinning off the crank. This powers all electronics and there is a small backup battery in case of failure that is always being charged by the generator. This heli design was also used by the Army in the early 90's as a scout and drone. I have been flying this helicopter regularly and is a joy to fly. Very different the the Computer mixing today that I also fly. They fly on rails. Kinda like comparing my C body and a newer car of today. They don't compare.

20170106_140131 (2).jpg

20170106_140154.jpg

20170106_140500.jpg

20170106_140611 (2).jpg

20170106_140534 (2).jpg

20170106_140134.jpg

20170106_140145 (2).jpg

20170106_140154 (2).jpg

20170106_140500 (1).jpg

20170106_140611.jpg

If you don't set all this mess up correctly and are a novice and pilot it ,,you will never know what happened to you.

If you don't set all this mess up correctly and are a novice and pilot it ,,you will never know what happened to you.

Even as an experienced R/C pilot, I had way too many tail strikes flying rotary for my pocket book at the time so I stuck to Fixed wing aircraft.

Last edited:
Many said to me that is much harder to do than pilot a real one. Cause they tried it.

The reason they're harder to fly is there is no "feel". When you make a change at the controls all you have to go on is visual feedback, you can't feel the magnitude or effect of your change like you can in a real one.

Yes indeed. The buttometer is useless. I have flown and do fly with pro pilots. Some of course are very good. I know a young kid that is a amazing RC heli pilot ,far better than I and is now about to become an airline pilot when all this Covid stuff lifts. I also know retired pilots and a retired helicopter pilot who have a hard time with flying RC helicopters and are a bit better with RC airplanes.

Last edited:
Back