Door sticker authenticity

69Chrysler300

Reaction score
Door sticker authenticity / Door Vin decal

Hello,

Somebody told me something is wrong with my door sticker. He thought it is not original, because it has the wrong date on it. I never noticed this before. Is he wright?

And yes indeed, according to my VIN plate, the production date of my car (69 chrysler 300 Convertible) is 830 (30th August) 1968(?). But my door sticker says 3-1969!!!!

I am confused. Does this means I have a reproduction door sticker with a wrong date on it!:sad3: And what about the sticker layout and font. Is this sticker original?

Can somebody help.

P1030848-klein.jpg

Last edited:
This is what the sticker should look like and I have never seen a font like that. If Your car has been repainted it is definitely a replacement sticker.

299825 2011 door tag.jpg

Definitely looks to be a repro and it's too bad that they went through the trouble and couldn't even get the date right. Here are a few more examples of originals.

IMG_7847.jpg

IMG_7901.jpg

IMG_5385_4.JPG

Door jamb stickers......

I may be wrong but I thought these door jamb stickers were used starting with the 1970 model year and later.
My 69 has original paint in the jambs and no sticker like this.

Door sticker confusion...

Definitely looks to be a repro and it's too bad that they went through the trouble and couldn't even get the date right. Here are a few more examples of originals.

Another fact about the doorsticker font: According to the MMC Detroit site 'The text size and font style on the door vin decal should match the build sheet style.' Well if you look at the text size and font style of my (C=Jefferson plant) build sheet (see pic), my door sticker is definitely a reproduction (with wrong date:BangHead:). Yes my door had a repaint. Also underneath the original sticker!

This also means that the door sticker of one of the red cars with date '1/1970' is also a reproduction! Look at the font style and the slash. It should be '1-1970' and al zero's should be printed as Ø. So it should be printed '1-197Ø'.

I added a picture of a green '70 car door sticker. This one has a different font for '5' and '3' and should correspond with the build sheet font!!!! Otherwise this is a reproduction to!

Production sheet font style.jpg

vindecal_03.jpg

Last edited:
1968 chrylser do not have door stickers?

I may be wrong but I thought these door jamb stickers were used starting with the 1970 model year and later.
My 69 has original paint in the jambs and no sticker like this.

According to bluefury71 my car never had a door sticker! :surprised-005:My car was build in august 1968!

Who has a '68 Chrylser with original door sticker?

Last edited:
Door VIN sticker......

The difference in the font on the stickers may be attributed to the plant where the car was manufactured, Different plant....different font.

1970 New model production began in August of 1969, therefore the 1969 dates. The 5th digit is the model year. In all the stickers shown, (except for the 71), that digit is 0, (1970).

I have attached a scan of the cover sheet to a 8 page technical service bulletin that covers all the model identification areas on the new 1969 Chrysler corp model passenger cars. (This is a Plymouth, Chrysler and Imperial division bulletin but the info pertains to Dodge passenger cars also). It calls out the VIN tag on the top of the dash, the body ID plate, and the enging and trans Vehicle ID #'s.
No where is there a door sticker mentioned.

As stated, I believe that method of ID was started on the 1970 model year and is incorrect to display on a 1969 model.

If anyone has knowledge of this I would welcome hearing about it.

69 model year bulletin (Large).jpg

Last edited:
Back