Edelbrock 1406

live4theking

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
In one of the threads which I cannot seem to locate someone said that the newer Edelbrocks are lean from the factory.

What is considered newer?

I've found a guy selling one that he bought in 2004. He said it ran great when he took it off.

Thanks

Throw it on and if it needs more tuning than you can do in stock form, then order a kit.

John, I'd be a little leery on that carb. It'll probably need a kit anyway. If it's been laying around for 13 years it may be pretty crappy inside, dried out gaskets and other parts may be plugged. Just a word to the wise.
If you get it at a good price it will be ok, I don't know what a rebuild kit would cost. Hate to see you throw good money at something that may never be right. Just trying to help, not being mean.

John, I'd be a little leery on that carb. It'll probably need a kit anyway. If it's been laying around for 13 years it may be pretty crappy inside, dried out gaskets and other parts may be plugged. Just a word to the wise.
If you get it at a good price it will be ok, I don't know what a rebuild kit would cost. Hate to see you throw good money at something that may never be right. Just trying to help, not being mean.
There's only the gasket for the top on the Edelbrock's, not a lot of parts otherwise. Kits are cheap. I was assuming a good going over and cleaning would be a given, but yeah, don't pay retail if it's been laying around a while. They can be had for $100 all day long, even cheaper sometimes.

13 years old? I would rather give up the bucks for a new one that will plug and play right out of the box and has a warranty.

Hasn't been stated how long it's been off the car, just bought in 2004.

I am the one whose recent experience with them has been less than stellar within the last 8 - 10 years. They just don't run as strong out of the hole than ones I have purchased new in the pre-2007 timeframe, approximately. The one you are considering is one I would prefer over anything they are now producing. Even playing around with their kits to improve the situation doesn't help much, but some.

And I still don't like the lack of a bowl vent for all their carburetors for vehicles operating in hot climates. Makes for very hard starting after shutdown under hot conditions and some driveability issues for a short while thereafter as well.

Nothing wrong with being mean

I think it would have been worth it for $60 + a rebuild kit.

Others are right though. It seems their quality control is very sporatic.

I’ve had 3 come through here the last 2 years. First on the Córdoba. It ran great, but started to leak a little being an older carb. Threw a rebuild kit at it, and no problems out of her after. Was a little hard to start when real warm out, but nothing a little throttle wouldn’t take care of, and get her going.

2nd was on the truck, bought new from the local O’Reillys. Ran decent for a month, then went to s#it. Ran rich as a pig. Adjusted the floats, which seemed to help at first, but right back at crap a couple weeks later. Maybe too much fuel pressure from the pump? Idk..

3rd is on the blumo. Again brand new out of the box from local O’Reillys. Runs GREAT right out of the box. Havnt touched it at all. Just put it on top, hooked it up, and not one problem out of it....

Runs GREAT right out of the box. Havnt touched it at all. Just put it on top, hooked it up, and not one problem out of it..
I thought this is how Edelbrock recommends you start tuning. It's been "calibrated at the factory" for a pretty good baseline, and you go from there. I've had good results with my Edelbrock's that I've used, Sta-bil has been my biggest enemy. I will say this, I can get my car running well enough to get it to someone who can fine tune it with my Edelbrock's than vs my Holley.

1406 (600cfm) is a good size carb for a street 383 but "runs GREAT right out of the box" is pure luck no matter wich carb you choose, there's so many factors that affect how it should be tuned.
Hard to start when hot? cured with an 1/2 inch carb spacer.

Yeah I went ahead and ordered the 1406 with electric choke. I have a factory manifold ready to go but I might go for the Edelbrock performer.

If you put the 1406 on a Performer manifold use the thin adapter plate that comes in the manifold box. The performer manifolx is cast to accept a spread bore factory carb. The 1406 is a square bore. If you are putting the 1406 on a factory manifold you will need the thick 3/4" adapter plate.. You will also need the Chrysler linkage adapter for either application. You can call the Eddie Tech Line and they will tell you the same thing.

13 years old? I would rather give up the bucks for a new one that will plug and play right out of the box and has a warranty.
So I'm having troubles with my 51 year old Holley again so I've started to consider switching. I noticed this while looking at listings on ebay.
Edelbrock Warning.jpg

edelbrock tag.jpg

So much for a warranty in the day and age when it's extremely difficult to find ethanol free fuel. I've got two stations near home, but am I supposed to never take the car long distance...

I think it would have been worth it for $60 + a rebuild kit.

Others are right though. It seems their quality control is very sporatic.

I’ve had 3 come through here the last 2 years. First on the Córdoba. It ran great, but started to leak a little being an older carb. Threw a rebuild kit at it, and no problems out of her after. Was a little hard to start when real warm out, but nothing a little throttle wouldn’t take care of, and get her going.

2nd was on the truck, bought new from the local O’Reillys. Ran decent for a month, then went to s#it. Ran rich as a pig. Adjusted the floats, which seemed to help at first, but right back at crap a couple weeks later. Maybe too much fuel pressure from the pump? Idk..

3rd is on the blumo. Again brand new out of the box from local O’Reillys. Runs GREAT right out of the box. Havnt touched it at all. Just put it on top, hooked it up, and not one problem out of it....

So, Zach how have they been running lately?

So much for a warranty in the day and age when it's extremely difficult to find ethanol free fuel. I've got two stations near home, but am I supposed to never take the car long distance
That doesn't mean ethanol free, it only means E-85, regular fuel only has 10% ethanol mixed in. E-85 has anywhere from roughly 60-85% ethanol. I run regular fuel and th only part I've ever replaced was an accelerator pump plunger. Ethanol might have hurt it a tiny bit, but sitting did more damage. I wouldn't worry about the ethanol levels in regular fuel.

I have never seen an E85 warning on an Eddie carb. I have a new one in the box and don't see any E85 warning unless its something that started recently.

Back