Engine paint..1962

olmoparnut

Reaction score
Any suggestions on where to get the proper engine paint color for a '62 Chrysler without spending a fortune? As I recall, it was more of a "blue/green" or turquois color than the later "Chrysler Blue". Internet paint vendors want more for a 12 oz. spray bomb than i can purchase 4 cans at the local parts store.
Thanks in advance.

Turquoise is correct. The paint ain't cheap, as you figured out. There is no Krylon or other big-box-store brand equivalent available. Spend the money and do it right. And do NOT use Corporate (Chrysler) Blue on a '62!!! The first use of that color was in 1969, and then only on some 318 and 340 blocks. It became across-the-board in everything starting in the 1972 model year.

Duplicolor shows a "chysler green" #de 1619 which they claim is correct. Available at most parts stores and wally world. Anybody tried it?

I used Bill Hirsch Engine Enamel for the motor on my '65. '62 used the same color. The correct name should be Chrysler Turquoise.

Any suggestions on where to get the proper engine paint color for a '62 Chrysler without spending a fortune? As I recall, it was more of a "blue/green" or turquois color than the later "Chrysler Blue". Internet paint vendors want more for a 12 oz. spray bomb than i can purchase 4 cans at the local parts store.
Thanks in advance.
all 62 361 and 383 were turquoise. go to mymopar.com to print off a complete list of all mopar motor colours from 1960 to 1974. rexus 31 looks a little too blue but it could be the lighting.

this is turquoise.

100_0504.jpg

Duplicolor and Bill Hirsch are both good choices. I've used both. 2-3 cans of duplicolor or a pint of the Hirsch product thinned.

The color name is Chrysler turquoise. It looks more blue when fresh but has a tendancy to lighten up after a couple of heat cycles.

engine left (Small).jpg

Just wondering. Were'nt there noticible differences in the original hues looking at different engines ?
I know from one employee of a GM Europe engine plant who used to mix together leftover body paint into the engine black which led to bluish black etc. tones. As Long as it appeared to be mostly black it was considered o.k. ;)

Thanks in advance.
just found the eastwood paint code. 51622zp chrysler turquoise. hope this helps.

Back