Epic Whoops thread.

Oops. I guess there’s a limit for everything:

Heh seen a lot of this on the kids channel "I Do Cars" engine tear downs. I've come across several of these instances in my career, that engine someone drove it for many miles to get it all beat to **** like that. Just a high speed explosion and shut down don't end up with beat to **** parts like that, they drove it on (amazingly) on 4 cylinders to get that beat. It is really amazing on what the clueless do to drive a car/truck to death, if it will still roll they will still go... LOL

(edit) Watching the rest of this video brought back memories of my very early day's into car repair with a foreign sports car friend that had grenade'd 2 manual transmissions, now being very young and a 'fresh'ee' to car transmissions I knew very little about how they worked and the boneyard's had plenty so we just did a boneyard R&R. Later on I learned about modern transmissions and 'Synchro's' seems this fell'a was reading way to many 1960's sport car racing mag's and thought 'double clutching' was the exciting way to drive his sports car. Welp that just double works the Synchro's as they are the 'brakes' to get the dogs(?) (I'm in motorcycle mode now) to change gears without grinding/clashing, smooths out the shift. Now on race cars without synchros like 1950's, yeah the pedal and throttle fun needs to be done (I guess). After the second transmission I said I ain't doing this anymore for ya. Seems he didn't learn as I got a call from him one day to come tow him as the car had died down the road from my place. IIRC I had to use my mothers 1973 Plymouth Fury as I think I was only motorcycle riding then. Fooking PITA with a chain and him at the wheel of the breakdown (chain snap). When I got the head off the 6 cylinder seems he exploded a piston doing who knows what on the highway and all that was left was the rod and wrist pin going up & down in the cylinder. He must have been driving for quite awhile like that, I'd say 40/50 miles (he wouldn't fess up) from the very deep gouges that the wrist pin left in the cylinder. I don't remember if I put a junkyard engine in it, but by then I pretty much washed my hands on fur'in cars.

Last edited:
Alright, enough of the silly stuff, let's get serious.
Had a look'ee at CoParts last night...

1968 Plymouth GTX Crashed.001.jpg
1968 Plymouth GTX Crashed.002.jpg
1968 Plymouth GTX Crashed.003.jpg

In all my years going back to the early 1970's when these 1968+ car's were plentiful in the junkyards, I have never come across a rear end crunch this bad. Could it be this car was <ahem> restored with many aftermarket sheetmetal panels?

CONFUSED.QUESTION.gif

View attachment 635323View attachment 635324View attachment 635325

In all my years going back to the early 1970's when these 1968+ car's were plentiful in the junkyards, I have never come across a rear end crunch this bad. Could it be this car was <ahem> restored with many aftermarket sheetmetal panels?

View attachment 635326
No, it got shoved into a tractor-trailer by another, it would appear. Replacement parts would have zero impact on that type of crash..

View attachment 635326
I demolished a 65 Polara (4 door, lots of rust) in a demolition derby. I hit a 65 Imperial so hard that the rear end of the car rose up to settle higher than the roof. I hardly damaged the Imperial.

My point is that with enough momentum, it can happen, with original materials.

It'll get squashed no matter what. The results are the same. Physics, ya know.
Heck I don'kno maybe it was the result of some tube wannbee WhistlinDiesel type jackass but here's a picture of the front end which seems odd. Ya think with a crushed gas tank like this it would be ended up in a ball of flame (unless there was no gas in it) Anything is possible with this one. lol

1968 Plymouth GTX Crashed.004.jpg

Same with the motorcycle auction side, there were like 1/2 dozen 0 mile brand new 636cc something Yamaha Sportbikes all the same model that were totaled, listed as a 'roll over'. With looking at the road rash-less damage I take it that they may have been in a transport truck that rolled over thus the insurance write off.

Heck I don'kno maybe it was the result of some tube wannbee WhistlinDiesel type jackass but here's a picture of the front end which seems odd. Ya think with a crushed gas tank like this it would be ended up in a ball of flame (unless there was no gas in it) Anything is possible with this one. lol

View attachment 635335

Same with the motorcycle auction side, there were like 1/2 dozen 0 mile brand new 636cc something Yamaha Sportbikes all the same model that were totaled, listed as a 'roll over'. With looking at the road rash-less damage I take it that they may have been in a transport truck that rolled over thus the insurance write off.

Wow, in one hit, 100% of the sheet metal is toast. Can't tell if the windshield survived unscathed or not, but looks like the vent glass is ok. Rear end, transmission is probably toast as well. The engine might have suffered a cracked crank or block, at the minimum....

At least the passenger compartment didn't get squashed, however with no headrest the driver surely received some neck injuries from this one.

View attachment 635326
Take the Torque Thrusts off and junk the rest!

I demolished a 65 Polara (4 door, lots of rust) in a demolition derby. I hit a 65 Imperial so hard that the rear end of the car rose up to settle higher than the roof. I hardly damaged the Imperial.

My point is that with enough momentum, it can happen, with original materials.
No wonder those Imps are usually banned. Lincoln Continentals, on the other hand:

A friend used a ’68 300 back when they were “just” used cars. Same thing happened to it when he terminated a Lincoln. The Chrysler kept going…

Wow, in one hit, 100% of the sheet metal is toast. Can't tell if the windshield survived unscathed or not, but looks like the vent glass is ok. Rear end, transmission is probably toast as well. The engine might have suffered a cracked crank or block, at the minimum....

At least the passenger compartment didn't get squashed, however with no headrest the driver surely received some neck injuries from this one.
Safety advocates have been criticizing rear seat designs for years. Google yields lots of web pages on the subject. Seat-strength standards are stuck in…uh, the late Sixties.

All three occupants of this Honda Accordion survived the crash after some drunk plowed into the stalled car on an Omaha highway. It’s apparent which side the back-seat occupant was not in.

1704324348981.jpeg

(...)
Safety advocates have been criticizing rear seat designs for years. Google yields lots of web pages on the subject. Seat-strength standards are stuck in…uh, the late Sixties.

All three occupants of this Honda Accordion survived the crash after some drunk plowed into the stalled car on an Omaha highway. It’s apparent which side the back-seat occupant was not in.

View attachment 636631

Stalled in a lane at 3:15 a.m.... that's a guaranteed hit.

Back