Ethylene Glycol or the new "Permanent" anitfreezes for our Original Mopars?

You will need to run the Ethylene Glycol anti-freeze, preferably the extended life type which is supposed to be good for 50-100k, depending on the service conditions. You have an iron block and a brass radiator and this anti-freeze is the best suited for your application. Modern Propylene Glycol anti-freezes were a sap given to animal rights activists to keep cats and dogs from getting poisoned, as it is a food grade product. On modern cooling systems made mostly of aluminum this product works as long as it does not get exposed to atmosphere or combustion gasses. It breaks down quickly into corrosive by products that destroy aluminum radiators and castings if the cooling system does not remain sealed for some reason.

I do not run the pink crap in anything I own, including my modern vehicles for that reason. The very worst of the modern anti-freezes was the orange stuff that GM used. It is a blend of Ethylene Glycol and Methylene Glycol, this product was highly unstable and trashed a lot of cooling systems because of corrosive byproducts.

Dave

Must resurrect this thread. I had bought 3 jugs of Prestone "Dex-Cool." It has an orange cap, BUT the ingredients say a mix of Ethylene Glycol and Diethylene Glycol + rust inhibitors. It warns of being poison and does not include Methylene Glycol.

Should I return this and get a straight Ethylene Glycol product? Or is this a suitable product for our old cars?

Must resurrect this thread. I had bought 3 jugs of Prestone "Dex-Cool." It has an orange cap, BUT the ingredients say a mix of Ethylene Glycol and Diethylene Glycol + rust inhibitors. It warns of being poison and does not include Methylene Glycol.

Should I return this and get a straight Ethylene Glycol product? Or is this a suitable product for our old cars?

That one will work, the formula is stable and will protect both Iron and Aluminum. It works best if not mixed with any other antifreeze blends as that can dilute the anti corrosion additives. (Label usually says it will mix with any other product) Prestone Prime is a better product that has a longer life. If you are planning to drain it out after the rust problem is dealt with, then go ahead and use what you have.

Dave

I'd return it.

Everything I've read on Dex-Cool warns of mixing ethylene glycol with Dex-Cool. It's my understanding that there can be a chemical reaction that will turn the coolant to gel. So, unless you have completely flushed the system, you may have an issue.

The other issue, and again, this is my understanding, is that the Dex-Cool isn't the greatest in an "open" cooling system. The issues that GM owners had was when a car lost some coolant, there would be problems with corrosion in the system where there was air present. GM Owners Still Steaming Over Dex-Cool

If nothing else, there is at least some question of if it's the right stuff for your car. So... why do use it? Get the green stuff your car used since day one and not worry.

I'd return it.

Everything I've read on Dex-Cool warns of mixing ethylene glycol with Dex-Cool. It's my understanding that there can be a chemical reaction that will turn the coolant to gel. So, unless you have completely flushed the system, you may have an issue.

The other issue, and again, this is my understanding, is that the Dex-Cool isn't the greatest in an "open" cooling system. The issues that GM owners had was when a car lost some coolant, there would be problems with corrosion in the system where there was air present. GM Owners Still Steaming Over Dex-Cool

If nothing else, there is at least some question of if it's the right stuff for your car. So... why do use it? Get the green stuff your car used since day one and not worry.

If this is GM formulated Dex Cool, John is right. I think though that they no longer make the original formulation orange stuff that caused all the problems. Methylene Glycol (Component of GM Dex-Cool) went bad *** nasty when exposed to air or combustion gasses. Not all the Green colored antifreeze these days is Ethylene Glycol, so read the label. You would appear to have purchased a product that does not contain either Propylene Glycol or Methylene Glycol which were the ones that went bad. (Methylene Glycol and Ethylene Glycol made jello without the proper additives) it is getting hard to find a pure Ethylene Glycol any more, you best bet would be a Diesel truck stop or industrial engine supply company. I use the Prestone Prime and it holds up well for 5 years or more.

Dave.

Last edited:
If this is GM formulated Dex Cool, John is right. I think though that they no longer make the original formulation orange stuff that caused all the problems. Methylene Glycol (Component of GM Dex-Cool) went bad *** nasty when exposed to air or combustion gasses. Not all the Green colored antifreeze these days is Ethylene Glycol, so read the label. You would appear to have purchased a product that does not contain either Propylene Glycol or Methylene Glycol which were the ones that went bad. (Methylene Glycol and Ethylene Glycol made jello without the proper additives) it is getting hard to find a pure Ethylene Glycol any more, you best bet would be a Diesel truck stop or industrial engine supply company. I use the Prestone Prime and it holds up well for 5 years or more.

Dave.

That could be... My research into it was in 2001 when I bought my '91 Corvette that someone had put Dex-Cool in. I read a lot about it and decided to replace the Dex-Cool with good old Prestone. Took a lot of flushing to get rid of it, but I think I was good to do it.

So... Everything I know about the subject (and a lot of others LOL) could be dated.

Still.... I think I would use something else besides the Dex-Cool.

That could be... My research into it was in 2001 when I bought my '91 Corvette that someone had put Dex-Cool in. I read a lot about it and decided to replace the Dex-Cool with good old Prestone. Took a lot of flushing to get rid of it, but I think I was good to do it.

So... Everything I know about the subject (and a lot of others LOL) could be dated.

Still.... I think I would use something else besides the Dex-Cool.

The last place I worked before I retired, we got into a major warranty related hassle with GM over the crappy Dex-Cool. We had a mixed fleet of vehicles that were mostly low bid, so we had GM, Dodges, Peterbuilts and Ford Trucks, everything from 3/4 ton to class 7.
One of the Diesel engines in a GM class 6 truck went in for a warranty replacement of the water pump. The good folks at the dealership pulled the water pump and found the housing and the pump severely eroded due to corrosion of the aluminum parts on a truck that had only 56k. Dealer service department wanted to know if we had substituted and other type of antifreeze. Checked the service records on this 6 month old truck and told them no, they had done all the service work to maintain the warranty.

After some head scratching and complaining they replaced the water pump and housing. Two weeks later it went back for a leaking radiator, same issue, dealer found bad heater core as well. They replaced them both. About a month later the engine blew, cause determined to be severe erosion of the block and head resulting in a head gasket failure.

As we had 5 of these other trucks, My curiosity was getting the better of me, so I ran test strips on each of them for the coolant.
Found four of the five to be out of spec and in the corrosive zone. Called the dealer. They did not believe me. So I told them, well, it is your call, do you want to someday soon replace everything under the hood or do you want to send somebody out to to check. They declined. Two months later another truck went in for an engine knock. Blown head gasket, motor beyond repair.

I told the dealer service manager that I thought it was a coolant issue, he replied it was a metallurgy problem with a bad batch of engines. At this point I sent out a coolant sample from the 4 remaining vehicles to an independent testing company, all came back corrosive and degraded and all had less than 50k. Sent the results to the dealer and asked if we could change the coolant to a different type, answer was a resounding, "NO" you will void the warranty. They third truck went in about a month later.

Dealer said it was imperative to send in all remaining vehicles for cooling system service. They replaced coolant with more Dex-Cool. I kept running test strips, just because I am an *******. Took 3-4 months to go corrosive again. Dealer was more humble this time, replaced all coolant with standard antifreeze and no further problems. Do not know if they ever told GM.

Dave

Last edited:
Dealer said it was imperative to send in all remaining vehicles for cooling system service. They replaced coolant with more Dex-Cool. I kept running test strips, just because I am an *******.
:thumbsup: :rofl: Folks should NEVER underestimate the powers and abilities of a good *******. :thumbsup: :thankyou:

OK folks, can someone make a recommendation for a specific product? @Big_John, for example, which brand do you use in your 300?

OK folks, can someone make a recommendation for a specific product? @Big_John, for example, which brand do you use in your 300?
Whatever is cheapest... I just buy the straight green stuff for older cars at the local NAPA and make sure that it's not already "premixed".

ZEREX! NAPA cut the best deal in town for it when I got mine last Fall. Many of the corporate-franchise auto part stores carry green ethylene glycol brews with their label. Walmart's is made for them by Prestone. The Zerex mix I put in my 66 Newport 383 last Fall still looks good, though I always drain the coolant after the summer, putting in a fresh 50% mix come November. That gets us through winter. Then, come spring, I can start thinning this down to a summer ratio around 25% glycol, with water for the rest. For pump lube and rust prevention, I deem that the minimum glycol presence to work safely with.

Again, ZEREX from NAPA. Trouble your weary head no more.

Back