Fel-Pro cork Valve cover gaskets SUCK!

As stated a couple times above, the real issue that is not necessarily readily apparent to many is to be sure adhesive such as 3M or similar is only applied to the interface of the valve cover gasket to the valve cover. If you apply sealant to the bottom of the valve cover gasket where it mates with the top of the head, you will surely have oil leaking issues. Many newbies will try to use adhesive on both sides of the valve cover gasket and that is why they can't get them to seal properly and not leak.

Are you talking about the FEL-PRO MS90425? I have those on my 1971 T-code Monaco. No issue after almost 10k miles.

View attachment 540958

This thread @ayilar is pertaining to the valve covers to top of head interface.

What you are referring to is the exhaust manifold to head interface gasket. Those that you are showing though are great for that application and I use them as well with good results

As stated a couple times above, the real issue that is not necessarily readily apparent to many is to be sure adhesive such as 3M or similar is only applied to the interface of the valve cover gasket to the valve cover. If you apply sealant to the bottom of the valve cover gasket where it mates with the top of the head, you will surely have oil leaking issues. Many newbies will try to use adhesive on both sides of the valve cover gasket and that is why they can't get them to seal properly and not leak.
What's adhesive? The valve covers either pour out the back, or they don't. That's been my experience, regardless of what the material is.

I would like to do a comparison of cork vs rubber vs won't leak gaskets in the near future.

Last edited:
What's adhesive? The valve covers either pour out the back, it they don't. That's been my experience, regardless of what the material is.

I would like to do a comparison of cork vs rubber vs won't leak gaskets in the near future.
I use the fiber gaskets (not cork) made by Felpro that are relatively thick (i.e. have a good amount of compressibility and I use a clear adhesive that brushes on easily and seals very well in short order. I will go out in my garage tomorrow and report on which one I was told to use by my engine rebuilder so I can be very specific in that regard.

Just as a test, I did "waste" one gasket to see if putting that same adhesive on the bottom side of the gasket as well where it meets with the head and torqueing it down as the specs indicated and sure enough, it leaked profusely. Until my rebuilder was specific about it, I had been doing it incorrectly for many years and never could get a good seal. Now I get a very good seal and no leaks at all and am humbled. I still can't explain why that is the case though. It seemed to me that sealing both sides was sensible, but it just isn't - next time I see him I am going to ask him to explain why sealing only the top side works and sealing the bottom side as well does not.

Also, for completeness, my engine rebuilder recommended that I use Edelbrock Gasgacinch sealant for the installation of the Felpro gasket to the underside of the valve cover and it worked well.

Last edited:
Back