First day out with Sport Fury. Not the best.

If you look at the parts book you will find there is an o-ring that seals the pump reservoir to the cast pump. I can’t quite remember how it comes apart. It has been a while since I rebuilt mine. The service manual made it pretty easy to rebuild.

Cost me a tow bill. The cop said AAA was taking too long to arrive. In truth, I was in a busy intersection and it was a dangerous place to break down.

AAA will pay you for that tow bill. You'll have to make a couple calls and ***** a bit, but they will pay it.

If you look at the parts book you will find there is an o itring that seals the pump reservoir to the cast pump. I can’t quite remember how it comes apart. It has been a while since I rebuilt mine. The service manual made it pretty easy to rebuild.

I found it in my FSM. It does mention that reservoir solder joints can leak, but I am going to order the rebuild kit. $6 at Rock Auto versus $118 for a reman with reservoir. You are probably right about the oring. It's likely the original 50 year old pump.

You will need a pulley puller. If you don’t have one most parts stores will loan/ rent you one. I liked the one I got from O’Rielys so much that I kept it. I think I am now up to about 5 or 6 different pullers. I think I have one duplicate as I forgot I had it.

All the p.s. pumps I had (Federal,TRW or Saginaw) all leaked from big o ring between reservoir and body of pump.
Rarely had one leak from the shaft unless it had super high mileage on it.
Removing the pulley is a ***** and not often necessary.
Since you will be removing the pump from the engine now is the time to upgrade to the solid pump bracket. The slipper type bracket is terrible and flops around causing the belt to also flop around.
I will show details later.

Last edited:
All the p.s. pumps I had (Federal,TRW or Saginaw) all leaked from big o ring between reservoir and body of pump.
Rarely had one leak from the shaft unless it had super high mileage on it.
Removing the pulley is a ***** and not often necessary.
Since you will be removing the pump from the engine now is the time to upgrade to the solid pump bracket. The slipper type bracket is terrible and flops around causing the belt to also flop around.
I will show details later.

Thank you. The belt is floppy. I will look for the bracket and look forward to your future details.

How do you know which pump is on the car?

mancini-racing-big-block-saginaw-power-steering-pump-brackets-25.jpg

With a new o ring and reservoir can, I used "the Right Stuff" sealant.
No leaks as of yet..
25223.jpg

boab september 2017 003.JPG

I had that same bracket, and it didn't even fit on my trw pump, no matter how much i tried to get it to work

So, this morning I put normal (10% ethanol) gasoline in. I had been running pure gas with no ethanol. The last time I had ethanol gasoline in the car it did this same thing. Some things I have found on the internet suggest that the ethanol gasoline has a lower boiling point and may be flooding it out. It was definitely flooding out. I could smell the gas.

Still going back to some sort of fuel delivery issue. If you are "flooding out" and you "smell gas", that leads to something like a stuck float. Again, going back to garbage in the fuel system...

The ethanol gas isn't your problem and don't worry about a little leak in the power steering right now.

Still going back to some sort of fuel delivery issue. If you are "flooding out" and you "smell gas", that leads to something like a stuck float. Again, going back to garbage in the fuel system...

The ethanol gas isn't your problem and don't worry about a little leak in the power steering right now.

Drove it home. Ran okay. It surges at cruise speeds (light throttle). I stopped for gas. It died twice leaving the gas station. After that, it ran ok.

Looking at the carb when I got home, I could see gas where accelerator pump comes out of top of carb.

Remanufactured carb. I've cleaned it once. I don't know what else to do other than get a kit for it and clean it again.

Drove it home. Ran okay. It surges at cruise speeds (light throttle). I stopped for gas. It died twice leaving the gas station. After that, it ran ok.

Looking at the carb when I got home, I could see gas where accelerator pump comes out of top of carb.

Remanufactured carb. I've cleaned it once. I don't know what else to do other than get a kit for it and clean it again.
If there's more junk in the carb, it's coming from somewhere. Cleaning it out is good, but if it's pulling junk from the tank/lines//pump/filter, it's just going to keep causing the same issues.

Those carbs can be troublesome.
Some of them can be ruined by over tightening the wing nut on the air cleaner.

Install a clear Fram G2 fuel filter before your fuel pump to see if any crud is coming from your tank and lines. I always run one of these on all my vehicles, cheap and nice to be able to see what is being caught. My wagon had horrible stuff getting caught in the filter for a number of years before it finally cleaned itself out. Plus I would rather not have that stuff running through my fuel pump.

If there's more junk in the carb, it's coming from somewhere. Cleaning it out is good, but if it's pulling junk from the tank/lines//pump/filter, it's just going to keep causing the same issues.

Not impossible, but the fuel tank, line, filter and pump are all new.

Not impossible, but the fuel tank, line, filter and pump are all new.

The carburetor is a new reman itself. Rebuilt by a Canadian company. It has maybe 50 miles on it. I disassembled it last weekend and everything was clean. I did remove idle mixture screws and blew out the circuit.

Followed by...

Clay like substance in carburetor. This is a fresh reman!

Second pic is after disassembly of carburetor. That is some kind of thread that was attached to the check ball under Venturi assembly (I think that is the proper name).

img_20190226_164330486-jpg.jpg

You didn't have crud in the carb to start with based on what you've said. Then you had crud in the carb. I have no idea where that crud came from, but it came from somewhere... Unless you've dealt with making sure there's no more crud coming into the carb, it's going to keep happening.

Could it be the new tank/lines/etc. ? I don't know, but it is coming from somewhere.

Back