First day out with Sport Fury. Not the best.

What is that thing on the passenger fender?
............VV.........
img_20190127_113008393-jpg-jpg.jpg

Never saw one there.... usually they are closer to the condenser or on the fire wall. I thought maybe it was some cock-a-mamie fuel filter. :rofl:

Yes, it has dealer air conditioning installed. Not functioning at present and not a priority.

I followed the adjustment per the Tech dude in a Chrysler training film on YouTube. 1/16 increment adjustment on idle mixture screws. No more stalling. Surges with light throttle at cruise. Has a flat spot at low throttle like it's going to die. I can give it more gas and it goes fine.

Sounds like you are fighting the same battle it took years sorting out of my '71. The driveability/running anomalies described sound familiar to me. My case ended up being a combination of factors related to the fuel system: ethanol, engine heat, pump/pressure issues, contamination, etc. See if it seems to get worse as the weather warms up. I finally replaced literally everything in the fuel system to include a new tank, stainless lines, NOS AVS, and electric pump. Then I installed a 1" carb spacer and re-routed the fuel line away from the engine, approaching from behind off the firewall and insulated it in the engine bay portion. It's been fine for 3 years and even starts dead cold on the 1st try after sitting for a month if I let the pump run 10 seconds to build pressure before cranking.

It was all about the fuel system on mine.There were multiple issues at work early-on, but boiling ethanol ended up being the biggest factor.

Last edited:
I still believe getting rid of the damn points! They are contributing to your surging and stumbling.
I speak from experience.
Based on what you said you have a new coil new distributor new tank new fuel pump.rebuilt carb (twice)
Replacing the fuel filter was suggested did you do that yet?
Dont make me come down there! I will send you out the back bush to pick a branch I can use to whip you with!! Ha ha. Picking the skinny branch will hurt more than the big one.:poke:
(Jusy kidding btw)
Just listen to us old pfft's. We grew up or lived with these cars all along.
My main concern is that fresh rebuild needs to be running right for a proper break in.

I did replace the fuel filter.

The ethanol seems to be a big factor. Reading on it, I saw a suggestion to add Marvel Mystery Oil to raise the boiling point. I did and topped off with no ethanol mid grade. I am not seeing fuel seepage from carburetor now.

I plan to reroute the fuel line as Nadir Point mentioned. It is right against the water pump housing.

I will be changing the ignition. Wife made me take a break from $. It has to be budgeted.

I had that same bracket, and it didn't even fit on my trw pump, no matter how much i tried to get it to work

I went down the same rabbit hole with that bracket and my p/s pump. It does NOT fit. Maybe its because I have A/C. The floppy bracket can be adjusted properly, but you hafta have the right tool. Here is a picture of it and a link:

Chrysler Power Steering Bracket Adjuster Tool

006863a.jpg

Last edited:
I use Marine Sta-bal in my fuel, it neutralizes the ethanol and also keeps the fuel fresh for a couple years. I run it in everything I have that uses gasoline, vehicles, quads, snow mobiles, lawn tractor, weed eater, power washer etc. Everything fires right up and no issues with fuel sitting for months or years in the tanks or carbs.

Made it to and from work with no stalls. Less feedback from the brakes but new front brakes are on my priority list.

I did find some coolant leaking from the lower water pump housing bolt. I first noticed coolant on the bottom of the block. Also found it had dripped on the metal fuel filter. No leaks since I tightened the bolt.

Question. Did this car come with a radiator overflow? Present radiator is not the right one for the car. It has an overflow fitting and I lose half a cup when I shut the car down. A friend be suggests I get a 2 liter bottle and some hose and rig up an overflow.

Made it to and from work with no stalls. Less feedback from the brakes but new front brakes are on my priority list.

I did find some coolant leaking from the lower water pump housing bolt. I first noticed coolant on the bottom of the block. Also found it had dripped on the metal fuel filter. No leaks since I tightened the bolt.

Question. Did this car come with a radiator overflow? Present radiator is not the right one for the car. It has an overflow fitting and I lose half a cup when I shut the car down. A friend be suggests I get a 2 liter bottle and some hose and rig up an overflow.
The bottle trick works, but there are aftermarket tanks out there also.

I no longer feel so stressed about ol' Blu after reading through this thread.

@cbarge I am willing to contradict every single thing you say if it means you'll come down and work on my car. I have a taser, switches, and a leather belt strong enough to tow a C-Body. I will whip myself constantly, and even mount a switch to a fan to whip me in my sleep... You're an artist....

As for the Fury, @Joseph James the whirring from the rear could be the rear differential, wheel bearings, or brakes dragging. Definitely dive into those brakes, ASAP, I thought mine were just "getting bad" and it turned out the shoes were cracked, and backing plates were gouging into the drums, and the only thing that kept them from locking solid was the profuse amount of brake fluid leaking from the wheel cylinders.

The bottle trick works, but there are aftermarket tanks out there also.
I still have my Mountain Dew bottle zip tied to the radiator core support!

It has an overflow fitting and I lose half a cup when I shut the car down
You might have too much coolant in the radiator,if you fill it to the top of the neck, it will always puke some out. It took me a week or so of filling it less and less until it stopped puking some when I shut off the car. I then opened the radiator cap and looked at the level and I knew how full to fill it. Just one more thing to pay attention to.

I no longer feel so stressed about ol' Blu after reading through this thread.

@cbarge I am willing to contradict every single thing you say if it means you'll come down and work on my car. I have a taser, switches, and a leather belt strong enough to tow a C-Body. I will whip myself constantly, and even mount a switch to a fan to whip me in my sleep... You're an artist....
:rofl:

Back