First Drive in 32 years.

I don't mind just using jack stands. I put rubber pads down on the floor & it's not so bad.

You also loved roofing during the summer once.
Talk to me in another 15 years.

(Sent using Forum Runner)
I hope you're wrong but I know that you're right. 41 kinda sucks, I can hardly wait for 60. Knowing that cars (and drag racing) is an old man's sport is the only thing that keeps me smiling.

It's a double edged sword. You finally have the time but no longer the money.

For me it's more about physical deterioration. I did a triathlon a 2 or 3 years ago but it's harder & harder to avoid injury. I have a really bad problem with my left elbow that I'm pretty bummed about.

He already suffers from mild glaucoma, can't tell dusky rose from pink. LOL.

Last edited:
Jeez, Ill be jumping from the nearest bridge now......can see no reason to wait around until to old to do anything anymore.

I agree with Fred, I love the wheel s and I love the tires. Now you need a set of rear springs ..... We are all happy for you as we all know that feeling and a great one it is......How sweet it is..

First off, the Magnum 500s are the IDEAL wheel for that car. Chrysler used them on the car on the cover of the sales literature, so there's no more obvious reason to have them. They look great.

Second, OK, the rear of the car isn't "up" as much as the front, but that doesn't mean it needs new rear springs. The existing springs can be re-arched (for a WHOLE lot less money than buying new ones) and the whole job done at a spring shop in a few hours.

Sounds like a 4 post.

Four post, 16' long, 8½' wide, and 7' tall.

Tough to make use of the 7' when I've got 10' of headroom in the garage.

But I can stack two cars in one spot.

Just my personal preference....I'll spend the extra $$$ and go with new springs.

I grew up to a guy who lived next door to me who ran his own spring shop.

I swear it was right out of the 1800s. Dimly lit, couple of overhead electric chainfalls, pits in the floor and the absolutely largest electric gun I'd ever seen to unscrew u-bolt nuts. Had the rear springs on a '60 Phoenix done there once. The guy who did the work had a forearm even bigger than the gun. Spindle speed was about 30rpm. Didn't break a thing.

You can probably inspect it now in the Henry Ford museum. :) These old guys should be retired by now. Got a garage around the corner where the owner is one of the last people around here with first hand experience on multicarb systems, he turns 70 next year, he's tough, they will drive him out of business in a hearse.

Last edited:
I perfer rearching the original springs where possible. For one thing, they are original. As long as there are no cracked or broken leafs then a good spring shop can arch them to the original load rating, or to what ever load rating you desire, (within the load range of the spring).

Aftermarket springs are usually some generic material and made to fit a varity of vehicles. Theres always a good chance that once installed the rear of the car will set to high, and thinking they will settle is just BS. I've been there a few times nowanddon't even concider aftermarket springs except to replace damaged or broken originals.

It's important to replace the bushings and bolts also.

Back