Front clip, getting the paint right....

Catfish

Reaction score
I was on the phone with my painter yesterday discussing what color needs to be where under the hood. My '65 had some really crappy undercoating type **** sprayed all over the engine compartment by the previous owner. Since everything was blasted, there was no telling where the body color ended and black began. So we are just doing the very front of the core support with the top and engine side of it body color. Obviously it will have a cleaner paint line than the factory. But it's been so many years since I have had my car I cannot even remember what all is on the front clip. Is there a gravel pan behind the bumper?

I was on the phone with my painter yesterday discussing what color needs to be where under the hood. My '65 had some really crappy undercoating type **** sprayed all over the engine compartment by the previous owner. Since everything was blasted, there was no telling where the body color ended and black began. So we are just doing the very front of the core support with the top and engine side of it body color. Obviously it will have a cleaner paint line than the factory. But it's been so many years since I have had my car I cannot even remember what all is on the front clip. Is there a gravel pan behind the bumper?

I had my painter paint and clear the core support then I scuffed and shot it with flat black (spray can, unmasked) to mimic the factory look. I went off photos I took prior to taking the car apart. You can kinda see it in the pic below. IMO, I wouldn't want a masked, clean line there. This "spray bomb" on the assembly line probably took all but 10 second to apply. It was applied to black out the grill.

the assembly line probably took all but 10 second to apply. It was applied to black out the grill.

There were exceptions to the core support blackout treatment. My 69 300 never did have it. I have seen several B-E & C bodys that have never had it applied also. Maybe a break time thing....

I left the black off when I refinished the car and even redid the factory grease pencil marks..... I have no idea what they mean.

core support markings (Large).jpg

original core support marking (Large).jpg

factory markins (Large).jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I know it's not a real clean line. I told the painter that as well. Thanks for the photo, so is the front of the core support the only black?

Yeah, I know it's not a real clean line. I told the painter that as well. Thanks for the photo, so is the front of the core support the only black?

I can only speak for my car. The front of the core support was blacked out and the outer part (closest to the wheel) of the inner fenders were black as well.

I left the black off when I refinished the car and even redid the factory grease pencil marks..... I have no idea what they mean.

In your case the DD stands for Daily Driver I guess. :)
Got a circular "paint OK" tampo from qc still on the upper side of the support visible on the 300.
I read someplace else that UAW retired meets are a great source for such info. Someone with family UAW members from the Detroit area, maybe ?

Last edited:
Back