fuselage dual exhaust pictures

The noisy "Turbo" mufflers are going to be replaced with these '68 Caddy mufflers

View attachment 591097

Too noisy for me... LOL.

They started out with a nice deep rumble, but after a few years, they got noisier and developed a drone. The Dynomax mufflers are kind of a mix between a glass-pack and a regular muffler. I think the fiberglass matting in mine has blown out.

I discovered this when reading a post on Facebook about Addison's Silver Bullet street racer. He used 4 of these mufflers. An old friend of mine got in a discussion with someone else about it and he said he used the Caddy mufflers on his own Dart with a TTI system because he wanted it aa little quieter and said it worked out great. My friend is one off those guys that if he says it works... It works...

I couldn't get to swapping the mufflers, but should be able to do it soon. I took a before video and used a sound app on my phone to record the decibel change.

BTW, Rock Auto had the best deal on the mufflers.

@Big_John
Swapped those mufflers yet, got any feedback?
I tried to quiet mine down last summer. I swapped on several different Walker muffler sets, and I think the 21856 might've been one of them. They were all Walkers, all 2.5" in/out, all ones geared toward quiet. None of them make a huge difference over the Walker turbos I had on there.

The only difference I noticed on them was in the neck of the outlet pipe, looking inside I could see they necked down, all of them were around 1.75-1.5" IIRC. Thought for sure the smallest neck would decrease teh sound, but I was disappointed.

I then thought due to me having an X-pipe that each cylinder pulse is allowed to flow thru 2 mufflers, so I tried a rubber expandable stopper in one of the tailpipes - and that made no difference.

Granted, my 'testing' was done merely by listening at idle, but I came to the conclusion that having 2-1/2" pipes from front to back was never going to be as quiet as I wanted.

@Big_John
Swapped those mufflers yet, got any feedback?
I tried to quiet mine down last summer. I swapped on several different Walker muffler sets, and I think the 21856 might've been one of them. They were all Walkers, all 2.5" in/out, all ones geared toward quiet. None of them make a huge difference over the Walker turbos I had on there.

The only difference I noticed on them was in the neck of the outlet pipe, looking inside I could see they necked down, all of them were around 1.75-1.5" IIRC. Thought for sure the smallest neck would decrease teh sound, but I was disappointed.

I then thought due to me having an X-pipe that each cylinder pulse is allowed to flow thru 2 mufflers, so I tried a rubber expandable stopper in one of the tailpipes - and that made no difference.

Granted, my 'testing' was done merely by listening at idle, but I came to the conclusion that having 2-1/2" pipes from front to back was never going to be as quiet as I wanted.
Yes, they've been on for a couple months now and it was worth doing.

At idle it's about the same, although the tone isn't quite as deep. At speed though, they're great. No more drone in the car.

The inside looks like it doesn't neck down at all, although who knows what's going on inside.

It was good money spent. BTW, cheapest was Rock Auto.

With Turbo

With Caddy mufflers.

The B-body HP would allow dumping between torsion bar and engine.
both of mine are b body. if nothing else it least demonstrates that b car manifolds can be used in c car. thank you for the compliment. the shops i worked took great pride in doing quality exhaust work. i loved doing that work. when it's done right, it's a thing of beauty.

Big John, you have posted my shinking brain is not seeing it. What were your muffler part numbers?
There is a short scene in "Sugarland Express" of a C-body cop car idling, I have been trying to find a clip of that scene. The scene is when the cops are waiting in a small town for the kids to order chicken, evening.
Just came to mind that it was a great shot of original duals and sound.

Big John, you have posted my shinking brain is not seeing it. What were your muffler part numbers?
There is a short scene in "Sugarland Express" of a C-body cop car idling, I have been trying to find a clip of that scene. The scene is when the cops are waiting in a small town for the kids to order chicken, evening.

Walker 21856

I think I searched for 1968 caddy or something like that.

hAVWsz7.jpg

There is a short scene in "Sugarland Express" ...

Coincidentally, I watched Sugarland Express in just the last few weeks. Make sure to get the copcar sound and not the mid-50s Buick sound!

There's also a good note in Gone in 60 Secs (the original) when they are setting up the policecars at the Mazda car dealership.
1688692757804.png1688692792836.png
And also nice soundclip nearing the end of the The Shawshank Redemption as the copcars float by.
The Fury is either a 3 or a VIP, neither of which are likely to be a marked copcar.
But more importantly, there's a flaw in said Fury - who can spot it???
1688692498457.png

both of mine are b body. if nothing else it least demonstrates that b car manifolds can be used in c car. thank you for the compliment. the shops i worked took great pride in doing quality exhaust work. i loved doing that work. when it's done right, it's a thing of beauty.
It's 'known' that the driverside B-body manifold (rear dump) fits on Slabs (some if not all) but I haven't heard of the fitment into a Fusey.
What do you have?
The B-body manifold is the same as C-body for at least 1 of the casting #s.

The inside looks like it doesn't neck down at all, although who knows what's going on inside.
FWIW, I had to look about 8+" into the outlet pipe to see where it necked down, had to stick a flashlight in there.
Had to use these to get a measurement, and had to hold it with needlenose pliers, too.
1688693908103.png

The reason I like to use original movies from that time is the cars were still new or a few years old and un modified. In the Blues brothers during the highway crash scene it's amazing how many dual exhausts are able to be seen. In later made period movies, the cars are just our current cars with the perfections and problems we have.

(rear dump)
that is what i have. vehicle is '69 newport with 440. bought the manifolds from two different vendors at opposite ends of the swap meet at Stafford Springs. what a hike that was. spotted one then hours later the second. had to hoof it back to the first, snag it, then hike back for the second one. thirty years ago.
exhaust 016.JPG
exhaust 012.JPG

TTI’s. As can be seen in the second photo, they hang a bit low. There’s lot’s of room above the pipe where it comes under the stub frame crossmember, but the HP manifolds don’t allow the headpipes to go higher. Consequently, the whole setup hangs too low, and scratches at the speed bumps. - Had I known this beforehand, I would have gone with a custom job.

IMG_9312.jpeg

IMG_9315.jpeg

I installed a left side 73/74 B body HP exhaust manifold on my 72 Polara with a 440, it hit the Bendix booster so I swapped in a Midland Ross unit from a 73 C body wagon to gain the clearance I needed.

that is what i have. vehicle is '69 newport with 440. thirty years ago.
Ah, a Fusey with RB and B-body HP.
Does your steering column have the thick rubber coupler?
Did you install teh manifold when it had a brake booster? (or only with hydroboost?)

I installed a left side 73/74 B body HP exhaust manifold on my 72 Polara with a 440, it hit the Bendix booster so I swapped in a Midland Ross unit from a 73 C body wagon to gain the clearance I needed.

The booster on teh left is the one that interfered, and is the one on the right the one you switched to?

1689098894229.png

Did you install teh manifold when it had a brake booster?
the manifolds were installed with the o.e drum brake booster in place. disc brake system from '69 new yorker was installed some years later. hydroboost and rear discs were the last modification to the car. done in '00 with parts from my lincoln, wrecked 12/'99. steering box and column are original to the car, '69 newport.

This is a video from an exhaust shop in The Netherlands. It shows a dual stainless system on a Imperial with a 440

That car has a really neat tone, quiet and stock at idle, then more authority.
Any idea what mufflers those are?

I would not be surprised if he made them himself..
looking at the way that they're welded at the front, it wouldn't surprise me either. looking to see the hangers on the exhaust pipes. maybe they hadn't been installed yet. typical European. all hand made and classy as can be. great job and a beautiful shop.

Back