Get your Hankook Optimo H724 WW tires while you can!

@Sir Dodge alot — agreed, nine years on tires is well past their safe date, especially on a DD.

i have put a total of 12k or so miles on H735 Hankook, most of them in my DD 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. I have been impressed by how much better they are in the rain than the H724. They are not as good as Michelin or Continental all seasons blackwalls, mind you, but I feel quite safe.

I was looking in the Hankook website the other night. The whitewall 14" tires are still listed, so you might get "some fresh ones" as your current ones aged-out a good while back. Nexen also has some current whitewalls. Or spend more, larger bucks to get some Diamond Back fused-on whitewall tires. Usually good reviews from them.

Stay safe,
CBODY67

Now is the time to go to 15 inch tires while they are still available.
Not an idea I've disregarded yet, but the current 14 inchers just barely rub on the fender from steering lock to lock, no damage to the fender or any structural part of the car, botched alignment job?

I was looking in the Hankook website the other night. The whitewall 14" tires are still listed, so you might get "some fresh ones" as your current ones aged-out a good while back. Nexen also has some current whitewalls. Or spend more, larger bucks to get some Diamond Back fused-on whitewall tires. Usually good reviews from them.

Stay safe,
CBODY67
Yes I believe 9 years on the tires were a wee bit pushing it, but now that there seems to be another new line of tires (H735's) I might just go with those instead of going for an older model tire, regardless, the car still needs 2 pairs of new "shoes"!

Unless the website is being wonky or my ineptness is the cause, the Hankook website doesn't even list the "optimo" model tires.

Just the next up model which is Kinergy is showing, has the optimo model been discontinued perhaps?

Last edited:
I've put about 7 sets of Nexen 235/75/15 tires on 7 different vehicles as I remember. One tire of a set developed a belt pull on at 50k miles. One tire of a set developed a belt pull at 30k miles. They have been satisfactory otherwise. The rest have less than 10k miles.

The 50 psi extra load tires are rated for less load at 30psi than the same size 44 psi or 35 psi tire at 30 psi. And running the 50 psi tire at 30 psi is bad for the tire sidewall. They should not be run under their max psi load rating. And running them at 50 psi on a 4,000-pound car will wear the center. With a really nasty ride.
The 235/75/15 50 psi extra load tire is for big passenger conversion vans and stuff like that.

I've put about 7 sets of Nexen 235/75/15 tires on 7 different vehicles as I remember. One tire of a set developed a belt pull on at 50k miles. One tire of a set developed a belt pull at 30k miles. They have been satisfactory otherwise. The rest have less than 10k miles.

The 50 psi extra load tires are rated for less load at 30psi than the same size 44 psi or 35 psi tire at 30 psi. And running the 50 psi tire at 30 psi is bad for the tire sidewall. They should not be run under their max psi load rating. And running them at 50 psi on a 4,000-pound car will wear the center. With a really nasty ride.
The 235/75/15 50 psi extra load tire is for big passenger conversion vans and stuff like that.
I set the PSI at around 38 to 40, kind of the middle ground, but the tires are blown. I'll check out the Nexen brand, appreciate it.

I don't think I'm entirely thrilled with Nexen. I'll try something else next.
The 14-inch Hankook's on my 64 New Yorker are ok.

In the end, The fabled H724's are no longer with us, so instead went with the Hankook H735 215/75R14's.

Bought these tires from tire rack, just be sure it has the white stripe! And not the black wall or BOLD white lettering!

Tires came in at $106 ordered 2 of them so around $261 with tax.

Apparently the H735's are made in the U.S also so getting a hold of these tires shouldn't be too hard compared to the H724's which is made in Korea/other.

Some snazzy new "shoes" pictures below.

PXL_20230922_220056048.jpg

PXL_20230922_220147011.jpg

PXL_20230922_220131539.jpg

PXL_20230922_220114515~2.jpg

PXL_20230922_221348485.jpg

In the end, The fabled H724's are no longer with us, so instead went with the Hankook H735 215/75R14's.

Bought these tires from tire rack, just be sure it has the white stripe! And not the black wall or BOLD white lettering!

Tires came in at $106 ordered 2 of them so around $261 with tax.

Apparently the H735's are made in the U.S also so getting a hold of these tires shouldn't be too hard compared to the H724's which is made in Korea/other.

Some snazzy new "shoes" pictures below.

View attachment 618370

View attachment 618373

View attachment 618374

View attachment 618375

View attachment 618377

The country of MFR should be molded into the sidewall near the rim. On the 15" Hankook Kinergy I checked out last year it said Indonesia.

Regardless, a rating of 680/A/A not bad!

The country of MFR should be molded into the sidewall near the rim. On the 15" Hankook Kinergy I checked out last year it said Indonesia.

Regardless, a rating of 680/A/A not bad!
Right you are, it says Indonesia, I suppose made in the U.S is old news.

They look good. Let us know how the car likes them.

CBODY67
Took the car for a drive and it feels tighter/more responsive on steering inputs.

But then again this might be the placebo of newly installed tires, which might have been an identical steering "feel" with the H724's, no matter, the car still needs new shoes for the rear still!

Pardon the eye candy beauty shots with the new tires in the front with a picturesque background.
Temperature was just right for a drive that evening!

PXL_20230923_000302855.jpg

PXL_20230922_235540095.jpg

PXL_20230922_235452622.jpg

Last edited:
I was looking at/for a set of Hankook Kinergy H735 whitewalls just now and... could not find them at Discount Tires, and they are on special/closeout at the Tire Rack. Please don't tell me they are being discontinued?

1705675821107.png

these are good tires @ayilar.

there are other brands now so there may be selections worthy. i do know, however, sticking with the brands we each like is important, too.

my problem though? others may feel differently, so i dont wanna start a 'fight". :)

i find myself "aging out" on tires.

ignoring my $ loses incurred and to come, its buggin me as my retreat (irony - age-related) from the hobby approaches.

i have scrapped "new" 10 year old tires with <500 miles on them. some dry rotted, some not evident of any "rot"-- just old.

other folks drive a 10+ year old tire like a brand new one. to each their own. i aint judgin' others. i just wont do it.

my learning example. i bought a bunch of Firestone pursuit radials (225-235's) 20 years ago. they were five years old, unused tho, at that time. had to "duke it out", so to speak, at a state police auction with a used tire dealer ... $$$$. I "win" ( turned out "pyrrhic" tho)

i figured climate-controlled storage, cars on jack stands, etc., would save them.

It didnt.

obviously "rotted" ones i pitched. i still drive on others .. police cars .. like my 90 yr-old grandma drives her 1998 Lumina going to church on Sunday. takes a bit of the fun outta it for me.

other tires (OEM-like WW's and RWL's, in particular, on 60's-70's cars that I prefer), not re-popped like Goodyear polysteel radials have been -- $$$$$), i'm gonna have to do same thing -- scrap "new", ancient tires cuz all the stuff I own is 40+ years old.

or, when time to move them to new homes, tell prospectives tire age whether they ask or not. they can factor that into their price/purchase decision should age-based replacement be in their plans.

learned my lesson on batteries .. 10 years ago I scrapped 25 DieHards. couldnt hold charges. i now have 1 battery for every 10 cars, then if they age out, i only buy 1 -- not 10.

Last edited:
IronMan makes (or did make) whitewall tires in these 15" sizes:

225/70R15
215/70R15
205/75R15

IronMan RB-12 NWS All Season - Touring (White wall)

No idea about the availability. Doesn't seem to be any 14" versions of equivalent size.

I have been very happy with the handling/comfort combination of the Hankooks. That is what I'd like to stick with, if possible. Some other folks share my preference, which is why I am alerting folks that they might (I don't know) be on their way out.

IronMan makes (or did make) whitewall tires in these 15" sizes:

225/70R15
215/70R15
205/75R15

IronMan RB-12 NWS All Season - Touring (White wall)

No idea about the availability. Doesn't seem to be any 14" versions of equivalent size.

Too small for my cars. . .

When I bought the 300L last summer, I had to buy tires right away as the wheels and tires had to go back to the seller. I decided I wanted to stay with the original 14" wheel covers and that locked me into a 14" tire.

Nothing with a white wall was available readily and since I had already stretched the budget, I didn't want to pay $$$$ for a specialty tire anyway.

I ended up with a 215/78-14 Hancook Kinergy H735. $78 each to my door from Amazon and I bought 5. Not a white wall, but I've never been a big fan of white walls anyway. Mounted them all up and honestly, the car needs the WW tires to look right with the wheel covers. The car rides fantastic though... and seems to handle nicely, so for that part, I'm happy with the tires. I just don't like the look.

Dj64erf.jpg

So.... I've been trying to figure out what to do. Every solution leads towards replacing the tires and wheels and going to a 15" combo and losing the wheel covers and I really don't want to do that. I even wondered about "Porta-Walls" like they used years ago but they weren't that good back then and they don't work with radials anyway. Then I stumbled onto a video about using these white letters that glue to the tires and that got me thinking and lead me to these: White Wall for ANY TIRE | TIRE STICKERS

Everything I've read and watched makes me think this just might work... and at $150, not cheap, but not that crazy either. Worse case scenario is I'm out $150 and I have to flip the tires back around to the blackwalls.

One thing I did was have Mrs. Big John cut some vinyl "white walls" from vinyl in a 1" width on her Cricut to see how they look. Obviously those probably wouldn't make it to the end of the road, but I can see if that's the width I want. Just waiting for some warmer weather to try this... and once I figure out the width, I'll order some and see how they work out.

When I bought the 300L last summer, I had to buy tires right away as the wheels and tires had to go back to the seller. I decided I wanted to stay with the original 14" wheel covers and that locked me into a 14" tire.

Nothing with a white wall was available readily and since I had already stretched the budget, I didn't want to pay $$$$ for a specialty tire anyway.

I ended up with a 215/78-14 Hancook Kinergy H735. $78 each to my door from Amazon and I bought 5. Not a white wall, but I've never been a big fan of white walls anyway. Mounted them all up and honestly, the car needs the WW tires to look right with the wheel covers. The car rides fantastic though... and seems to handle nicely, so for that part, I'm happy with the tires. I just don't like the look.

View attachment 639314

So.... I've been trying to figure out what to do. Every solution leads towards replacing the tires and wheels and going to a 15" combo and losing the wheel covers and I really don't want to do that. I even wondered about "Porta-Walls" like they used years ago but they weren't that good back then and they don't work with radials anyway. Then I stumbled onto a video about using these white letters that glue to the tires and that got me thinking and lead me to these: White Wall for ANY TIRE | TIRE STICKERS

Everything I've read and watched makes me think this just might work... and at $150, not cheap, but not that crazy either. Worse case scenario is I'm out $150 and I have to flip the tires back around to the blackwalls.

One thing I did was have Mrs. Big John cut some vinyl "white walls" from vinyl in a 1" width on her Cricut to see how they look. Obviously those probably wouldn't make it to the end of the road, but I can see if that's the width I want. Just waiting for some warmer weather to try this... and once I figure out the width, I'll order some and see how they work out.
Your approach is good. Keep us updated!

Back