Get your Hankook Optimo H724 WW tires while you can!

A friend of mine who "knows a guy" got back to me and said he could get the Hankook Kinergy ST H735 in 225/75R15.

You can roll-your-own narrow whites like I did. Paid about $125 a tire 3 months ago for these Coopers.
View attachment 464901

How did you "roll your own"? I was thinking that an alternative may be permanent whitewall stickers from somewhere like tirestickers.com (Canadian site tirestickers.ca ).

Veering a bit off-topic, what car are those Spyders going on?

How did you "roll your own"? I was thinking that an alternative may be permanent whitewall stickers from somewhere like tirestickers.com (Canadian site tirestickers.ca ).

Veering a bit off-topic, what car are those Spyders going on?

Choose your favorite method to spin the tire. Take a piece of 80 grit sandpaper and hold it against the inner diameter of the whitewall, choosing how much of the whitewall you would like to remain. In my case, I cut the whitewall down to about 1/2 it's original size. Sand until the raised portion of the whitewall becomes flush with the rest of the inner sidewall. (Probably about 1/8" ). Move on to a finer sandpaper, such as 120 grit. You'll find the rubber actually sands like wood.

While it's spinning, use a brush to clear the rubber crumbs. You may want to stop spinning and check your work. Get it spinning again and use a spray can of black FlexSeal™ to paint the area you just sanded. Likely it will also get on the area you want to show, but no worries. Allow to dry.

Once dry, spin again and gently touch the remaining raised rubber area with the 120 grit. The black will sand off, leaving a nice sharp line.

Fini

About $7 worth of materials.

Choose your favorite method to spin the tire. Take a piece of 80 grit sandpaper and hold it against the inner diameter of the whitewall, choosing how much of the whitewall you would like to remain. In my case, I cut the whitewall down to about 1/2 it's original size. Sand until the raised portion of the whitewall becomes flush with the rest of the inner sidewall. (Probably about 1/8" ). Move on to a finer sandpaper, such as 120 grit. You'll find the rubber actually sands like wood.

While it's spinning, use a brush to clear the rubber crumbs. You may want to stop spinning and check your work. Get it spinning again and use a spray can of black FlexSeal™ to paint the area you just sanded. Likely it will also get on the area you want to show, but no worries. Allow to dry.

Once dry, spin again and gently touch the remaining raised rubber area with the 120 grit. The black will sand off, leaving a nice sharp line.

Fini

About $7 worth of materials.
Do you know Burt Munro?

My Cooper Trendsetters are 2 years old and the white sidewalls are brown and won't clean up. Any experience with wsw paint? Looks like several options. I'd rather brush it than spray it on.

My Cooper Trendsetters are 2 years old and the white sidewalls are brown and won't clean up. Any experience with wsw paint? Looks like several options. I'd rather brush it than spray it on.

Westley’s Bleach White spray and a stiff tire brush or as a last resort I go old school with a Brillo pad.

Westley's Bleach White works well, but with continued use it will yellow the white. So use it for the tuff stuff but not as your go to normal tire cleaner.

Westley's Bleach White works well, but with continued use it will yellow the white. So use it for the tuff stuff but not as your go to normal tire cleaner.

I am also having this problem with my Cooper Trendsetters. I am worried the problem is associated with a defect in the tire's construction. . . I think I'll try some Simple Green on them and see what happens.

I am also having this problem with my Cooper Trendsetters. I am worried the problem is associated with a defect in the tire's construction. . . I think I'll try some Simple Green on them and see what happens.

In my experience They all do it.

Yeah, the bleach white seems to leave the black discolored. Then you gotta use dressing which streaks the white. It's a vicious circle. White letters are hard to keep white, I'm old school, steel wool on white walls.

Never had any problems with Westley’s. But I only use it on the car maybe twice a year.
It’s also good at removing that yellowish/brown scuz those tire dressings all leave. ‘Course the key is not letting the Westley’s dry on the tire. A tire brush and soapy water has never left any stains and the black looks like a new tire rather than that phony shine from those tire dressings.

So I don't really have an issue with my white letters or walls yellowing or drastically discoloring right now. I wonder if it might have something to do with use of a tire dressing, which I painstakingly keep off of my whites due to the streaking?

Otherwise I clean my tires with Maguire's wheel cleaner and a tire brush.

I noticed today that I can no longer find the Hankook Optimo H724 tires from America's Tire Company anymore and while they carry the Hankook Kinergy blackwall, the do not show the Hankook Kinergy available in white walls at present. So I will go to the Tire Rack from here on to get the white wall.

I remain concerned that the Cooper Trendsetter tires are not modern technology otherwise I would consider them and folks seem to complain that their whitewalls turn yellow after time and it can't be removed. I don't need that and the Hankooks so far have not demonstrated that characteristic.

Unfortunately though, the Kinergy ST tires are now the standard load rating rather than the higher load rating as the H724s were. The world keeps getting ever cheaper :BangHead:

I just realized that America's Tire Company now offers a Nexen 235-75-15 in a whitewall and an XL load rating of 109S XL, which is even a higher load rating than the former Hankook Optimos which I recall were a 108S XL load rating. So I will likely order a set of these to try them out. I even like the sidewall much better than the Hankook name that was too large and suggested foreign made at the outset - not cool for an American made old full size car even though they were made in Korea like the Nexens, not China which is a plus:

nexhh6_w_ang_l.jpg

BRANDPLPlogo_nexen_tire.png

NEXEN TIREN PRIZ AH5235 /75 R15 109S XL WW
Item #3328550,000 mile warranty$96.00/ea
+ Installation costs added in cart

Available now, arrives as soon as Friday, June 25 at My Store
1099 E Foothill Blvd
Upland, CA 91786
Free services included in the price:
AirchecksFlat Tire RepairTire Rotation
Read Reviews (3)
10% off now for signing in! (tire and wheel sets only)
10% Military discount for active duty, veterans, family and spouses
learn more

I have noticed that Korean parts are usually significantly better than Chinese parts. When I bought Dorman replacement power window motors made in Korea they held up well and now the Dorman power window motors are made in China and I have noticed reports of installation problems and some instances of failed motors now. Ugh!

Last edited:
I just realized that America's Tire Company now offers a Nexen 235-75-15 in a whitewall and an XL load rating of 109S XL, which is even a higher load rating than the former Hankook Optimos which I recall were a 108S XL load rating. So I will likely order a set of these to try them out. I even like the sidewall much better than the Hankook name that was too large and suggested foreign made at the outset - not cool for an American made old full size car even though they were made in Korea like the Nexens, not China which is a plus:

View attachment 468790

View attachment 468791
NEXEN TIREN PRIZ AH5235 /75 R15 109S XL WW
Item #3328550,000 mile warranty$96.00/ea
+ Installation costs added in cart

Available now, arrives as soon as Friday, June 25 at My Store
1099 E Foothill Blvd
Upland, CA 91786
Free services included in the price:
AirchecksFlat Tire RepairTire Rotation
Read Reviews (3)
10% off now for signing in! (tire and wheel sets only)
10% Military discount for active duty, veterans, family and spouses
learn more

I have noticed that Korean parts are usually significantly better than Chinese parts. When I bought Dorman replacement power window motors made in Korea they held up well and now the Dorman power window motors are made in China and I have noticed reports of installation problems and some instances of failed motors now. Ugh!
Interesting. They also offer them in 225/75R15 but the load rating is only 102S.

I just bought another set of Kinergy ST in anticipation of a possible car deal.

They were the last set of 4 in stock at the Tire Rack. Granted, they are expected to be back in stock on Sept. 3, but these days it seems supply chain issues are everywhere, so I decided to play it safe and get them already.

PS: they are $10 more expensive than back in April, when I bought a set for my 1970 TNT 'vert.

Kinergy ST .png

Last edited:
Just to stick this as an FYI since I saw you gentlemen discussing tire longevity/reliability in wet weather.

I daily drive my C body/forward look Chrysler going to college, so it's a bona fide daily, anywho I've used the Hankook H724 P215/75R14 98s and have had a few notable issues with them.
Now I may have used them past the "safety date"
Or just asking too much from them.

The tires perform OK in wet weather, but the traction diminishes when you are taking a turn(1 to 2 MPH?) more of an understeer situation is quite the "normal" situation you can get into with these tires.

Bought the tires in 2014
Had the one blow out the sidewall in 2023.
(Thankfully it blew with the car parked)

The second tire blew the side wall around 3 months later of the same batch of tires I bought in 2014.

Noted the sidewalls have started cracking on the blown tires, I still have 2 more tires that are from the 2014 year range that are mounted on the car, those are still holding air but the sidewall is cracking, I can surmise that the remaining tires may blow their sidewalls by the end of the year.

I plan on getting a pair of tires soon before the inevitable "dual blowout " occurs.

Update: 2023 the H724's are not sold anywhere, the $61 tag for the tires are quite cheap, no wonder it's sold out everywhere, the alternative is to getting the new line of Hankook's Kinergy ST line (H735?)

In the meantime the car is a garage queen till I can fish up some tires.

It's currently on a spare but the size is wrong.
(15 inches instead of the 14 inch I have all around)

I was planning on going to a big car show soon but this tire blowout has potentially cancelled my car show plans.

Last edited:
Just to stick this as an FYI since I saw you gentlemen discussing tire longevity/reliability in wet weather.

I daily drive my C body/forward look Chrysler going to college, so it's a bona fide daily, anywho I've used the Hankook H724 P215/75R14 98s and have had a few notable issues with them.
Now I may have used them past the "safety date"
Or just asking too much from them.

The tires perform OK in wet weather, but the traction diminishes when you are taking a turn(1 to 2 MPH?) more of an understeer situation is quite the "normal" situation you can get into with these tires.

Bought the tires in 2014
Had the one blow out the sidewall in 2023.
(Thankfully it blew with the car parked)

The second tire blew the side wall around 3 months later of the same batch of tires I bought in 2014.

Noted the sidewalls have started cracking on the blown tires, I still have 2 more tires that are from the 2014 year range that are mounted on the car, those are still holding air but the sidewall is cracking, I can surmise that the remaining tires may blow their sidewalls by the end of the year.

I plan on getting a pair of tires soon before the inevitable "dual blowout " occurs.

Update: 2023 the H724's are not sold anywhere, the $61 tag for the tires are quite cheap, no wonder it's sold out everywhere, the alternative is to getting the new line of Hankook's Kinergy ST line (H735?)

In the meantime the car is a garage queen till I can fish up some tires.

It's currently on a spare but the size is wrong.
(15 inches instead of the 14 inch I have all around)

I was planning on going to a big car show soon but this tire blowout has potentially cancelled my car show plans.
Now is the time to go to 15 inch tires while they are still available.

Back