Get your Hankook Optimo H724 WW tires while you can!

When I bought the 300L last summer, I had to buy tires right away as the wheels and tires had to go back to the seller. I decided I wanted to stay with the original 14" wheel covers and that locked me into a 14" tire.

Nothing with a white wall was available readily and since I had already stretched the budget, I didn't want to pay $$$$ for a specialty tire anyway.

I ended up with a 215/78-14 Hancook Kinergy H735. $78 each to my door from Amazon and I bought 5. Not a white wall, but I've never been a big fan of white walls anyway. Mounted them all up and honestly, the car needs the WW tires to look right with the wheel covers. The car rides fantastic though... and seems to handle nicely, so for that part, I'm happy with the tires. I just don't like the look.

View attachment 639314

So.... I've been trying to figure out what to do. Every solution leads towards replacing the tires and wheels and going to a 15" combo and losing the wheel covers and I really don't want to do that. I even wondered about "Porta-Walls" like they used years ago but they weren't that good back then and they don't work with radials anyway. Then I stumbled onto a video about using these white letters that glue to the tires and that got me thinking and lead me to these: White Wall for ANY TIRE | TIRE STICKERS

Everything I've read and watched makes me think this just might work... and at $150, not cheap, but not that crazy either. Worse case scenario is I'm out $150 and I have to flip the tires back around to the blackwalls.

One thing I did was have Mrs. Big John cut some vinyl "white walls" from vinyl in a 1" width on her Cricut to see how they look. Obviously those probably wouldn't make it to the end of the road, but I can see if that's the width I want. Just waiting for some warmer weather to try this... and once I figure out the width, I'll order some and see how they work out.

John: When you finally decide to surrender and go to 15's, I have a set of four you can have. Generous FCBO discount applies. . . I also have a set of 15" 65-66 disc brake wheel covers (that need a little work) to go with them.

When I saw the Kinergys in WW variations, I was happy. Later, when I looked at the specs closer, they are only 8.5/32" tread depth, but still have high mileage ratings. That got me a bit inquisitive about them and looked at other brands with 14" WWs. There are other brands. In another forum Nexen has been mentioned. Some with the normal 11/32" tread depth.

The tread depth issue is not just about ultimate tread mileage, but about wet weather traction, should that be needed.

I know most of us treasure that original look, especially for regional and national-level shows where it matters. But I am also glad for the VN-501s and their 15" sizes.

Back in the 1980s, I found some original BFG Silvertown whitewalls at a Super Shops warehouse closeout sale. I bought them as they would fit my '58 Fairlane Town Sedan and look right. Plus, I always liked those tires for being a good tire, back then. I took them to my shadetree shop and put them against the wall, which is where they still are. With tubes, they might make some good rollers for that car, but little more.

Hopefully, for a good while, there will be Diamondback . . . but I never did realy like paying lots of money for a tire that would see little mileage, fwiw.

Y'all enjoy!
CBODY67

John: When you finally decide to surrender
1705690565712.png

So true @Big_John.

It still surprises me the fact that, with the amount of classics still driving around on their stock 14 inch wheels. The demand seems high but the production rate is at an all time low.

It's like all the manufacturers are going away from white wall tires all together, I'll be damned if I'm subjected to buying tires from coker tires.

Good tire I'd assume, but that price tag though!
It was like, 200 300 USD for one tire?

So true @Big_John.

It still surprises me the fact that, with the amount of classics still driving around on their stock 14 inch wheels. The demand seems high but the production rate is at an all time low.

It's like all the manufacturers are going away from white wall tires all together, I'll be damned if I'm subjected to buying tires from coker tires.

Good tire I'd assume, but that price tag though!
It was like, 200 300 USD for one tire?
Last I checked, about $240 a tire at Coker.

Coker tires don't have the best reputation. I've never bought tires from them, so I can't comment on that any more than what I've read about them.

"Coker" is not the same company it used to be. Corky is now running "Honest Charley's" in his retirement years, last I heard. Seems like many of the "poor tire" comments came after the sale?

I have been very happy with the handling/comfort combination of the Hankooks. That is what I'd like to stick with, if possible. Some other folks share my preference, which is why I am alerting folks that they might (I don't know) be on their way out.
Still available through Walmart.

"Coker" is not the same company it used to be. Corky is now running "Honest Charley's" in his retirement years, last I heard. Seems like many of the "poor tire" comments came after the sale?
Coker has had a bad rep for quite a while.

G78-14 BF Goodrich 1" Whitewall
$290

"economical replacement"

It's 290 USD, not exactly cheap. But the merit would be tires that fit and not dealing with Coker.

No idea if this is a Coker tire or not:

P215/75R14 - 1" Whitewall Tires American Classic
$236
-----------------

215/75R14 Calli Whitewall
$185

(choose your WW size)
------------------------
------------------

Vercelli Tires Classic 787 Passenger All Season Tire (WW)
P215/75R14 98S
$79

Hankook Kinergy ST (H735) Tire (non WW)
$87

Last edited:
I put 5 of the Cooper W.W.'s on my New Yorker.

20200312_172257.jpg

20230527_111409.jpg

Last edited:
When I bought the 300L last summer, I had to buy tires right away as the wheels and tires had to go back to the seller. I decided I wanted to stay with the original 14" wheel covers and that locked me into a 14" tire.

Nothing with a white wall was available readily and since I had already stretched the budget, I didn't want to pay $$$$ for a specialty tire anyway.

I ended up with a 215/78-14 Hancook Kinergy H735. $78 each to my door from Amazon and I bought 5. Not a white wall, but I've never been a big fan of white walls anyway. Mounted them all up and honestly, the car needs the WW tires to look right with the wheel covers. The car rides fantastic though... and seems to handle nicely, so for that part, I'm happy with the tires. I just don't like the look.

View attachment 639314

So.... I've been trying to figure out what to do. Every solution leads towards replacing the tires and wheels and going to a 15" combo and losing the wheel covers and I really don't want to do that. I even wondered about "Porta-Walls" like they used years ago but they weren't that good back then and they don't work with radials anyway. Then I stumbled onto a video about using these white letters that glue to the tires and that got me thinking and lead me to these: White Wall for ANY TIRE | TIRE STICKERS

Everything I've read and watched makes me think this just might work... and at $150, not cheap, but not that crazy either. Worse case scenario is I'm out $150 and I have to flip the tires back around to the blackwalls.

One thing I did was have Mrs. Big John cut some vinyl "white walls" from vinyl in a 1" width on her Cricut to see how they look. Obviously those probably wouldn't make it to the end of the road, but I can see if that's the width I want. Just waiting for some warmer weather to try this... and once I figure out the width, I'll order some and see how they work out.
I would be interested to know your experience with the Tire Stickers whitewalls if you go that route. I've thought about doing that also.

If you want to keep the same look as those wheel covers in 15", there was a 1970s Dodge 15" wheel cover that looks very similar. If you're really lucky, the centers from your original ones might even swap into them. The ebay listing I got this pic from says they were used on 1973-77 Monaco and Polara. These or very similar ones were also used on pickup trucks.

1706496120037.png

The '66 Newport wheel covers had centers which were retained into the cover body by foam tape. The '66 New Yorker covers had centers which were retained by a big snap ring on the back of the ornament. Seems like the parts book illustrations detail this, too.

CBODY67

I would be interested to know your experience with the Tire Stickers whitewalls if you go that route. I've thought about doing that also.

If you want to keep the same look as those wheel covers in 15", there was a 1970s Dodge 15" wheel cover that looks very similar. If you're really lucky, the centers from your original ones might even swap into them. The ebay listing I got this pic from says they were used on 1973-77 Monaco and Polara. These or very similar ones were also used on pickup trucks.

View attachment 640965
Wow... Those could work!

You have me wondering about the diameter of the centers. I'm going to research that a little more.

1706535433799.png

I found a picture of those Dodge wheelcovers that showed the back and there's a problem. The dished in part with the ribs is part of the metal stamping. Only the raised center cap is removable. To use the 300 plastic center some of the metal on the Dodge cap would have to be trimmed while leaving tabs to fold over to hold the Chrysler center in place. Not saying it can't be done, but it's not going to be a simple swap.

300 14.jpg
dodge 15.jpg

Back