Has anyone ever won a car show with their C body?

I never won with a C body, but at the 56th annual Das Awkscht Fescht in Macungie Pennsylvania our 1966 Chrysler Newport sedan was curiously honored...in a way. That year the show featured all Chrysler Products and each year the best of the best is placed in a tent. I had planned on taking my 1966 Sport Fury Conv. but it did not cooperate and we took the Newp instead. When we arrived to my surprise, I was directed in front of the line right outside the tent and placed in the dead center of the line and they had me set the car off a bit sideways like the center piece. When I got out, the man laying out the parking said to me. Its your show... with a big smile...Curious... All day people were all over that four door taking pictures of it. Talking to me about it. (The main comment was we had one like this type of thing) It was not restored at the time in anyway. No special options, just a blue Newp four door. A few yards in the tent were some amazing Mopars but old Mr. Blue got just as much attention as the rest. Maybe it was the contrast of the amazing with the ordinary. I love driving the car and of all of the ones I have, we enjoy driving it the best. It wasnt a trophy or an award of any type but it sure made me feel good to have a simple four door Newp get so much attention that day. Enjoy your rides and drives.

Retroman

My biggest surprise about people's reactions to my NYB 4 Dr. hardtop was that it had no B-piller. They were shocked and amazed. No, not really. Just a whole bunch of WTFs.

Years back I won a few trophies with my Fury including a best in class in a big mixed brand event. The novelty wore off really fast & I gave away the trophies. The occasional car cruise & sunny day driving does it for me.

Could you elaborate? What happened when leaving the hood open?
I liked to leave the hood open for all the world to see the complete mess of wires that were the engine harness, held together with strips of duct tape, wrong engine color, Mopar Performance valve covers and my awesome Mountain Dew radiator overflow bottle.

After listening to members here complaining about the open hoods ruining the good looks of a car with the hood closed, that sentiment grew on me, and now I keep my hoods closed at car shows. It does look better and no one cares about what's under any of my hoods. It's just my personal choice.

2018 when my Newport was fresh from a 12 year restoration, I took it on tour to shows.
I did not expect to win anything but was nice to be acknowledged for my efforts.
Mopar Madness 2nd place C body class,
Chryslers at Carlisle 2nd place C body AND Celebrity Award!
That was huge for me and the Boab especially being a 4 door.
( First was taken by a car with 2 less doors and no roof!)
I was there mainly to show the car to all who followed the build for 12 years and finally got to see the finished product.
In my eyes, my car is not perfect and I built it to drive..and that I do.
So it has gathered up some chips,scratches and a stone chip in the windshield.
Perfect....now I can drive the **** out of it
Do I want to achieve 1st? No..cant afford to do that.

FB_IMG_1693550494864.jpg

Grace on the other hand I did nothing cosmetically.
She won 2nd place C body in Chicago this summer.
Plus long distance award driving 754 miles one way.

20230625_143151.jpg

Could you elaborate? What happened when leaving the hood open?
For me it was just comments. Had a 66 Charger with a LA 360 transplanted.
I got " Nice car but it should only have a Hemi." More than once.
Now I drive a 63 Belvedere beater and have been asked "Don't park that here"
Lovin' pissin' the show bosses off. I never was that way before. I guess getting cynical in my old age..

Cars just look better with their hoods closed. No reason to open the hood.
Hood closed, trunk closed top up windows down, that's displaymanship.

I've had my wagon to numerous local shows, most people just keep on walking. I like the group that remember riding in the 3rd row seat, big family road trips, helping dad load lumber for a home project, those sorts of things. Never won a trophy with it, never expect to, but I always enjoy the stories and people.

Boydsdodge won best C body with his Imperial TUX this year and Ross Woolridge won best wagon at the same said Mopar Spring Fling both deserving of their awards. These two cars are examples of being as original as possible, so no alterations needed if you are leaning that way.
If your expectation is to win, well you may be sadly mistaken unless you have a boat load of money to make your car stand above the rest.
C bodies are not usually the more desired specimens at car shows but do get attention. I've gotten way better at lip reading and it's satisfying enough to read "wow, is that ever nice" "cool looking car" " look at the size of that car" " nice paint job" even though my car is wrapped and so on.....those are things that give you a warm feeling that your hard work is recognised.
The best is when you are doing a drive by and you can't help but notice people stop in their tracks to just appreciate their moment of "WOW' and watch you go by until you are out of sight. Waves , thumbs up, smiles are all welcome too. You have possibly just made their day!
Car shows are for comradery

Boydsdodge won best C body with his Imperial TUX this year and Ross Woolridge won best wagon at the same said Mopar Spring Fling both deserving of their awards. These two cars are examples of being as original as possible, so no alterations needed if you are leaning that way.
If your expectation is to win, well you may be sadly mistaken unless you have a boat load of money to make your car stand above the rest.
C bodies are not usually the more desired specimens at car shows but do get attention. I've gotten way better at lip reading and it's satisfying enough to read "wow, is that ever nice" "cool looking car" " look at the size of that car" " nice paint job" even though my car is wrapped and so on.....those are things that give you a warm feeling that your hard work is recognised.
The best is when you are doing a drive by and you can't help but notice people stop in their tracks to just appreciate their moment of "WOW' and watch you go by until you are out of sight. Waves , thumbs up, smiles are all welcome too. You have possibly just made their day!
Car shows are for comradery
I couldn't have said it better. Nuff said.

Cars just look better with their hoods closed. No reason to open the hood.
Hood closed, trunk closed top up windows down, that's displaymanship.
One exception I found to the "top up" preference was at the Syracuse Nationals.

Since I had a primo indoor spot, I tried putting the top down. It really worked, especially since I was parked near a really nice '64 Caddy with the top and hood up. I think it was the indoor setting that contrasted with the top down.

L67Jgfu.jpg

One exception I found to the "top up" preference was at the Syracuse Nationals.

Since I had a primo indoor spot, I tried putting the top down. It really worked, especially since I was parked near a really nice '64 Caddy with the top and hood up. I think it was the indoor setting that contrasted with the top down.

View attachment 614222

Being inside is the difference.

Back