Has anyone ever won a car show with their C body?

I forgot to add ...Hood closed.
If somebody wants to see under the hood I gladly oblige.
Like opening a jewelry box...

boab 2018 005.JPG

20230605_164800.jpg

Couple years back in our small town (5000 in the entire county) an RV resort park held it's biannual car show. They hired a new manager maybe a month prior to the 2nd show and no one told him to plan for the event. No signage or advertising, the day of the event the owner called up the new mngr and asked who the band or DJ was gonna be. Oops! Now I had already marked it in my calendar and was there early when the gate opened. I was the only one there, besides the owners Camaro which had a For Sale sign on it. I won by default. Got a tee shirt and a check for $80.

I know there's very little chance my 73 more-door Newport has of winning anything against a sea of musclecars, restored classics or exotic cars, I'm there to see the other cars and bump heads with like minded people. I can't afford a real musclecar so I took a cast off vehicle no one else wanted (quite literally, it was abandoned at a repair shop and destined for the crusher when I said "Wait, this has potential.") & made it my own.

It turns heads & gets double takes all the time. There's just enough custom touches to set it apart from the pack (2 tone paint, custom LED lighting, wire mesh grill, Magnum 500 rims, side pipes) and with the loopy cam, headers & glass packs, it sounds like a dedicated Road Runner or Charger. No hood scoop or fin out back, other than adding blackout paint below the belt line, the body is unmolested. I did add a subtle chin spoiler below the bumper (to help shovel air into the radiator) but it's barely noticeable. Kids in my neighborhood dig it and swear it's gotta be the fastest car in town. Seeing a hot rodded C-body is super rare so it gets a lot of attention, admiration and respect.

Just last week I was downtown picking up my check from the boss's HQ when a lady from the insurance agency next door (who also happens to be the treasurer for the city council, small town) came out, complimented my car and hands me a flier, asking me if I'd be interested in driving it in the Pioneer Days parade in a few weeks and entering the car show afterwards. She heard it coming before she saw it and when I pulled into the parking slot right in front of her door she had to come see. "I love your car! Please enter it in the car show!" People smile and give me thumbs up almost every time I take it out. And this is a conservative, red state, country town, where nearly half of my neighbors are retired.

Yeah, I won a small plastic trophy, 1st place, best of show. I was the only one there.
img_1_1630583980094.jpg
Screenshot_20211017-204905.png
1604761744133.jpg
?hash=a1e0fa56604828621addfe4bf502c705.jpg

img_2_1630583992746.jpg

Out of curiosity, took my 1975 NY'er to a car show (around 200 participants). Came away with a participation award but no trophy. I'm starting to think the car is too generic -not special enough - to win a trophy. Has anyone ever won a car show with a NY'er or Imperial? Paul
A couple weeks ago I took home a plaque for my 300 L convertible they mention it deserved an award for its land yacht status ! Anyway have a great day!

IMG_4899.jpeg

My 78 Black won Best Chrysler at the Mopar Show at the Chrysler Dealership. Judges said afterwards was more for it's originality as there sure was some high end Mopars there.

78 Black.jpg

well at least I got the award for "last weeks most popular topics". That soothes some of the disappointment from "no trophy for you " at the car show. Paul

A- body is average
B-body is basic
C-body is comfort
y-body your luxury

Drove my 67 New Yorker to hickory corners Michigan. Car show @ Gilmore museum. Called " mopars at the Red Barns". Anyway another 67 New Yorker was there. Same color , body style & everything. Even interior was same color. Both paint jobs were O.E. my car only has 40k original miles. Well he got a trophy. So it could have been me. It was a great day regardless. Mopar people are some nicest persons around.

Drove my 67 New Yorker to hickory corners Michigan. Car show @ Gilmore museum. Called " mopars at the Red Barns". Anyway another 67 New Yorker was there. Same color , body style & everything. Even interior was same color. Both paint jobs were O.E. my car only has 40k original miles. Well he got a trophy. So it could have been me. It was a great day regardless. Mopar people are some nicest persons around.
He had a houla girl on the dash, right!

Hood open. top down. As for someone asking to see my engine, I go to Car Shows to see other cars, not stand by mine all day.

I did receive a trophy from the show in this picture.

IMG_0001.JPG

I have never tried, but I have brought Tux back to a very presentable state of ownership. I don't leave the hood open unless asked to show. I am usually away from the car looking at others and talking just like the show is for.
I have been surprised 4 times so far in the last year to receive any mention of good job with Tux. It is a nice acknowledgement but not an addictive pursuit for me.

View attachment 613836

View attachment 613837

View attachment 613838

View attachment 613840

View attachment 613841
Glad I'm not the only one who's never at my own car at a show - I'm often out/about. What I always enjoy more than a trophy, is someone who 1.) walked by the car when I wasn't there, and 2.) came back to it hoping to find me to ask questions, or tell them about the one "just like it" that they once drove..........

Granted I don't have a beautiful C-body like the rest of you. In the 16 years I've owned and showed my J-body Imperial, I've trophied a handful of times. A couple of first places, one top 25, and one out standing in class.
Most shows in my area are top _____ not classed. Full-sized and malaze Mopars get lost in the sea of Camaros, Corvettes, and Mopar muscle.

I have won several awards w/ my 69 300 convertible. The 300 in the beginning was an ok driver in need of a lot of love. Like many of you my car drew a lot of attention, but not many awards in the beginning. The compliments eased the pain a bit in the beginning. Restoration is not for everyone. The amount of time required is astronomical. So I can see both sides of the argument of driving as is vs restore and pamper. The work and preparation done does pay off. The debate on hood open or shut comes down to your own desire to win. Points judged shows are just that. Do the detail work, have your hood open and as I found out carry a fire extinguisher will help. they award points for that too. Yes, the hood down looks better, hood open points judged a necessity. My attention has always been drawn to high quality lesser-known cars and models.

20230905_231433.jpg

The following pictures ae from a show in 2010, at a restaurant in Bakersfield, the Chuy's Rods and Rides Show. I had y car parked next to my son's Gremlin and my Buddy's over-the top custom '68 Barracuda. The Grem had been on the road for less than two months, and the Plymouth was for sale for 17 grand; the work was phenomenal! I expected no trophy.

AS the show was ending, each of the 20 Clubs sponsoring the show handed out their trophies. We were sitting behind the cars when two guys came walking up. Jeff had already been given two for the 'Cuda, and I turned to Jerry and told him his trophy was coming. They stopped in front of the Gremlin, pointed to my Newport and asked whose car it was. When I told them it was mine, they handed me a two-foot tall trophy. I was astounded and asked why, with all the sweet custom cars would they give one to me. They said, "It's clear your car is a driver, it's not pristine, yet you chose to show it, and we liked it. It has some customization, yet it's stock enough for people to see what these looked like when new. We wanted to reward you for that."

Yes, I was pleased!!

IMG_4634.JPG

IMG_4669.JPG

IMG_4668.JPG

Out of curiosity, took my 1975 NY'er to a car show (around 200 participants). Came away with a participation award but no trophy. I'm starting to think the car is too generic -not special enough - to win a trophy. Has anyone ever won a car show with a NY'er or Imperial? Paul
Yes I have with my 78.

IMG_0164.jpeg

IMG_6072.jpeg

Awards are for people who are concerned what others think of their car. I only care what I think of my car.
I’ve only had my car for several years, and I went to several professionally judged, car shows just so I know what I have, and now I do. If I win a trophy, at any car show it doesn’t matter to me now one way or the other now.

Back