Headers for '70 Sport Fury?

B-Rode

Reaction score
1970 Sport Fury 383

Does anyone know of good headers that would fit with minimal modification?

Any shorty headers? Or else standard/long

preferably under $500

I'm looking to get some better low-end torque which is why I would like shorty headers, however it's hard to find any headers that would fit in a C-body without trouble. I'm sure some of the 383 headers would fit but I'm not sure exactly which, or what would work best overall.

Thanks!

mthe Hooker headers I bought for my 71 Polara in 1984 were $400.00 I presume they still make them for a C.

TTI is another source but you'll double your budget

Hedman shorties fit my 66 New Yorker like they were made for it. They need a mini starter to fit tho.

For long tubes that actually fit, Tti is the only game in town. About $800 IIRC.

I don't see you making any serious low end torque gains with headers unless there's a turbocharger involved so before Stan pops a blood vessel I'll just say if you are just running a nice cruiser, go with HP manifolds on a set of 2.5" duals and call it a day.

Kevin

At this point the HP manifolds I don't think flow a whole lot more than the log manifolds, and the HP's are getting a little pricey. But they do look cool for sure. Do you have a dual exhaust already? What do you want the car to do?

At this point the HP manifolds I don't think flow a whole lot more than the log manifolds, and the HP's are getting a little pricey. But they do look cool for sure. Do you have a dual exhaust already?
I have stock manifolds and single exhaust at the moment

2 barrel or 4? I presume 2? Is the engine healthy or tired.

Currently a 2 barrel car that I would consider tired, headers gears and carb are on my current list of perf upgrades. Hoping to really open it up with gears and a 4 barrel, headers mainly for the sound and maybe slight power gain.

yoda worthless pics.jpg

I wouldn't mind seeing pics either (if possible).. and I'd go with the HP manifolds rather than headers, just my 2 cents.
?... has the engine ever been apart? Just asking...unleaded gas did a number on the valve seats in my 906 heads....lost a bit of compression on some cylinders (= no pwr)

Headers are nice but not worth the headache unless you are building a serious street/strip car.
You may gain some horsepower-that;s ok.. but will move the torque up the powerband,not good for a big heavy car that needs torque to get moving,IMHO

Here are a few recipes that I did that gained more torque--and some ponies along the way;

On the 66 300 that I revived,I did original lo-po exhaust manifolds. Stock cam,452 heads,69 4bbl "301"casting iron intake,625 Eddy carb with TTi exhaust system. Lots of torque and drives 75 MPH all day.
Minimal fuss and works great .

My 68 New Yorker,440 350hp. 260/260 Purple shaft, I used the factory lo-po logs with 2.5" TTi.
Drove the **** out of it for ten years with no issues regarding exhaust.
Never did find top end in that beast since I always ran out of road!

Currently on my 68 Newport,was 2bbl now Eddy 383 Performer intake 750 Eddy carb,268 Comp cam,HP manifolds with 2.5 TTi.
Works very very well..Just ask some members here who rode in or driven the BoaB!
Cheers.

Headers are nice but not worth the headache unless you are building a serious street/strip car.
You may gain some horsepower-that;s ok.. but will move the torque up the powerband,not good for a big heavy car that needs torque to get moving,IMHO

Here are a few recipes that I did that gained more torque--and some ponies along the way;

On the 66 300 that I revived,I did original lo-po exhaust manifolds. Stock cam,452 heads,69 4bbl "301"casting iron intake,625 Eddy carb with TTi exhaust system. Lots of torque and drives 75 MPH all day.
Minimal fuss and works great .

My 68 New Yorker,440 350hp. 260/260 Purple shaft, I used the factory lo-po logs with 2.5" TTi.
Drove the **** out of it for ten years with no issues regarding exhaust.
Never did find top end in that beast since I always ran out of road!

Currently on my 68 Newport,was 2bbl now Eddy 383 Performer intake 750 Eddy carb,268 Comp cam,HP manifolds with 2.5 TTi.
Works very very well..Just ask some members here who rode in or driven the BoaB!
Cheers.
Sounds like the HP manifolds are a good option, I thought might as well upgrade as long as I'm going to dual exhaust

Sounds like the HP manifolds are a good option, I thought might as well upgrade as long as I'm going to dual exhaust

If that is the reason for the change over, I'd leave the logs on a tired engine. Not worth the aggravation to me.

I investigate headers and decided starter interference, power brake booster interference and reduced ground clearance were too much of a price to pay for a bit of extra power. I did however use HP logs.

I investigate headers and decided starter interference, power brake booster interference and reduced ground clearance were too much of a price to pay for a bit of extra power. I did however use HP logs.
I def want dual exhaust at some point, what brand of HP logs would give me minimal fitment issues?

I def want dual exhaust at some point, what brand of HP logs would give me minimal fitment issues?
The "HP" (high performance) exhaust manifolds are Chrysler... as for the exact pair you'll need to find the proper part no.s for each side... one manifold left side & one manifold right side.

The "HP" (high performance) exhaust manifolds are Chrysler... as for the exact pair you'll need to find the proper part no.s for each side... one manifold left side & one manifold right side.
So HP manifolds for/ off of any 383 should fit without issue?

Only asking because C body part support and fitment is somewhat limited.

First... Have you a 70' Chrysler/Plymouth FSM (factory service manual)? I would suggest you have this on hand.. lots of pertinent information for your car. Also a Chrysler parts no. source as well (pictured). These will go a long ways in helping you, you should get asap.
20190721_123311.jpg

oh and sorry.... not all 70 c body 383s came off the line with HP manifolds (depends on how car was optioned out) and so no you will not just be able to grab them off any 383 you might stumble across... hence the parts no. pamphlet.

Back