Headlight issues...

68blackbird

Reaction score
Fury1.jpgOk, 3rd post, I scoured 10 pages of archives with no luck. I have low beams...most of the time, no high beams at all. Bought new dimmer switch, same problem. Put ohm meter on both switches, they both checked out ok. Did same on both high beam lights, ok there. Also, left turn signal works until I hit brakes, then indicator stays lit, right side ok. Gotta be a ground issue, just not sure where start looking??? Only had car for a week, but man I love this car already!! Kel

Fury1.jpg

Sharp car. :)

First, if you don't already have a service manual you can download a PDF here . http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

That will get you the factory wiring diagrams.

On the headlight issue, I would just put the hi beams on, and just trace the wiring checking with a volt meter to see where the power stops. One likely candidate is the bulkhead connector. That's the big set of plugs in the firewall that basically all the wiring goes through.

As for the turn signal, is the problem just the indicator (dash or fendertop?) or the actual turn signals? Since the brake lights work through the turn signal switch, the problem might be there, but your guess about ground issues is pretty likely. Not sure if your lamp sockets ground through the housing, or if they have a separate wire for ground.

Since your saying the turn signal stops flashing once you hit the brakes,it sounds like possibly your bulb may be bad on that one side.One of those brake bulbs may have a duel filiment that is shorting out when the brake circuit is activated.Try changing out your brake bulbs on the side that is not flashing

30 or so years ago I had a '67 Fury that developed an intermittent issue with the headlights acting goofy, I don't recall what they were actually doing, but it turned out that one of the glass fuses had the end come unsoldered and was making intermittent contact. The fuse looked fine just to look at it, but you could pull the metal end cap right off. I don't remember how I found that, but I do remember that it wasn't easy to find. Other than that I'd have to agree with D Cluley and check the turn signal switch. Good luck.

Since your saying the turn signal stops flashing once you hit the brakes,it sounds like possibly your bulb may be bad on that one side.One of those brake bulbs may have a duel filiment that is shorting out when the brake circuit is activated.Try changing out your brake bulbs on the side that is not flashing

Yahtzee..... thanks,Kel

Yeah,I've seen many people use an 1156 in place of an 1157 bulb and vice versa.A common problem since they do look alike but have different bases and filiments inside.

As far as I know headlights do not have fuses, the headlight switch acts like a circuit breaker.
This is consistent on all Mopars of the era

Alan

If you have low beams operating normally then the headlight switch is probably ok and the problem has to be somewhere between the floor mounted dimmer switch and the headlights themselves.

If the headlight switch were failing the high beams should still light up momentarily, before the breaker kicks out.

Several issues fixed tonite...

1. Both front turn signal light sockets corroded real bad, fixed. That helped with turn signal issues.

2. High beams fixed, after checking all lights, I also noticed that my new after market stereo I installed kept kicking off/on while driving...figured gotta be a ground issue messing everything up...with stereo on, I moved wires in bulkhead panel, found that several terminals were corroded. Cleaned that up, now stereo works all the time, and all lights work. Very happy camper now...time for an evening cruise..thank fellas for the help! Kel

P6210006 (Large).jpg

P6210006 (Large).jpg

Back