heater/ ac firewall pass through

Wonderwagon

Reaction score
Found a donor car for my Family's Grocery Getter restoration project. My Wagon is factory equipped with AC. The AC hoses enter above the engine compartment blower motor housing, heater hoses below. The donor car is not an AC car and has its heater hoses utilizing the upper pass throughs on the firewall. I plan on swapping the engine bay side enclosure and all interior side ac/ heater components. Other than moving the heater hoses down and entering through the lower holes (hopefully factory punched ) any other not so obvious problems. Brn car mine, Blue donor

0324.jpg

getPart.jpeg

Having one of each I was able to look at this, if the plan was to move the AC to your car I feel this should not be an issue.

Worse case is you cut in the sheet metal. I think you major issue will be different pulleys and brackets for the front of the engine. Even the hoses for the AC will be different.

Alan

Having one of each I was able to look at this, if the plan was to move the AC to your car I feel this should not be an issue.

Worse case is you cut in the sheet metal. I think you major issue will be different pulleys and brackets for the front of the engine. Even the hoses for the AC will be different.

Alan
will be moving Ac equipped family car motor mechanicals, etc to donor body shell. It seemed straight foward, seeing your car in the thread exposed the differences in firewall cutouts and hose openings. Will plan on metal work. Did the blower motor hole require mods or appear to if you were going to the non Ac car with AC. I became concerned when I could not find the firewall metal part number in the service or parts book. thanks for the info. Nice if there was a tech dept showing these types of things.
Mike

The AC car will have the extra opening that the larger housing covers.
The AC cars have the heater hoses under the housing, there are also two holes about 1" dia under the housing for the electrical and vacuum lines, all easy fixes. The fan opening is the same on both cars.

Alan

The AC car will have the extra opening that the larger housing covers.
The AC cars have the heater hoses under the housing, there are also two holes about 1" dia under the housing for the electrical and vacuum lines, all easy fixes. The fan opening is the same on both cars.

Alan
cool thanxs, will definitely be flying out check the the rear shell out

... Nice if there was a tech dept showing these types of things...

The entire forum serves as a tech department... in between stray thoughts and a little humor. I am glad you found that parts car. Good luck with the trip.

knockouts for larger heater box all present on firewall. just trim them out. holes for recirculation housing present inside vehicle. may have larger radiator and necessary radiator wall. not really a difficult swap with nose and dash disassembled.

knockouts for larger heater box all present on firewall. just trim them out. holes for recirculation housing present inside vehicle. may have larger radiator and necessary radiator wall. not really a difficult swap with nose and dash disassembled.

oops wrong button, Thanks rags, have the flight booked to Portland and the rental car. hopefully it's as good in person as pictures. the Ac conversion from non AC was a concern thanks all

actually read through this whole saga, viewed all the pictures, etc. gotta say your a dedicated individual. this a/c swap is nothing by comparison. have a safe trip and i hope it brings you good fortune. SG

Thanxs, can't wait to get back behind the wheel and get kicked back in the seat

Back