Heavy Metal

first starts in decades? assuming these are authentic, and they appear to be, quite interest seeing an old car/tractor/truck/tank, etc being started after 20-60 years of sitting. about 20 mins.

Tugboats ... badass "little" critters i was told once. I have no idea.. but this startup routine was fascinating.

How the Titanic's engines worked. Engineering marvels in their era .. how did they knkow all this stuff 100 years ago. :)

BTW .. did ya hear? The are building the Titanic II .. a modern day (safety, technology, etc.) exact replica of the first one.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/titanic-2-launch-2022/index.html
t
I have to admit, I am seriously fascinated with not only the technology, but also the crazy economics of making these machines profitable/possible. I find it difficult to imagine how these companies could invest so much and still provide enough of a return to satisfy their investors.

I do understand, within my limits, the low cost of labor... but truly stupendous creations without the kind of equipment that would be used today.

I can't help but be skeptical of the Titanic II... I can't help but wonder how they could faithfully reproduce such a machine that would please a modern consumer, and at a price that would allow them to make a profit. @amazinblue82 , I know you have a far better grasp of the economics than I ever will... but I wonder if there will be enough folks in 2022 who have a desire to spend for the nostalgia of an era they have no real familiarity with. To make this ship have the appeal of other floating vacations, it will be interesting to see what the "Blue Star Line" folks come up with.

BTW, I recently saw the movie "The Finest Hours", which I enjoyed. I hadn't heard of it, prior to our Netflix rental... so I looked up the reviews and saw that it's biggest charm was also it's Achilles heal... "Too old fashioned" :wtf:

I always have found the concept of the "Liberty Ship" to be curious too... I do follow the history and the desperation that created them, but am still amazed that they were considered successful upon the completion of such a short lifespan.

Kinda funny how technology circles around. Most ocean going cargo ships now have basically a many story high version of the triple expansion engine. The cylinders are the same size and burn the diesel fuel directly and the rev to about 250 rpm, they basically removed the steam transfer of heat.

I can't help but be skeptical of the Titanic II... I can't help but wonder how they could faithfully reproduce such a machine that would please a modern consumer, and at a price that would allow them to make a profit.
I'd speculate they would target the 1% with the fare 10X that of a typical cruise ship.

BTW .. did ya hear? The are building the Titanic II .. a modern day (safety, technology, etc.) exact replica of the first one.
I did see that. But, if it's an "exact replica," will the fourth stack remain a phony? The original was a three-engined, three-screw vessel with four stacks. The fourth/rear stack was a dummy. That always cracked me up.

I did see that. But, if it's an "exact replica," will the fourth stack remain a phony? The original was a three-engined, three-screw vessel with four stacks. The fourth/rear stack was a dummy. That always cracked me up.

8 minutes of video, from azipods to more-than-enough enclosed life boats, check out the new Titanic II. Four stacks too.

Last edited:
t
I have to admit, I am seriously fascinated with not only the technology, but also the crazy economics of making these machines profitable/possible. I find it difficult to imagine how these companies could invest so much and still provide enough of a return to satisfy their investors.

I do understand, within my limits, the low cost of labor... but truly stupendous creations without the kind of equipment that would be used today.

I can't help but be skeptical of the Titanic II... I can't help but wonder how they could faithfully reproduce such a machine that would please a modern consumer, and at a price that would allow them to make a profit. @amazinblue82 , I know you have a far better grasp of the economics than I ever will... but I wonder if there will be enough folks in 2022 who have a desire to spend for the nostalgia of an era they have no real familiarity with. To make this ship have the appeal of other floating vacations, it will be interesting to see what the "Blue Star Line" folks come up with.

BTW, I recently saw the movie "The Finest Hours", which I enjoyed. I hadn't heard of it, prior to our Netflix rental... so I looked up the reviews and saw that it's biggest charm was also it's Achilles heal... "Too old fashioned" :wtf:

I always have found the concept of the "Liberty Ship" to be curious too... I do follow the history and the desperation that created them, but am still amazed that they were considered successful upon the completion of such a short lifespan.

Welll i did go to business school .. twice .. but not sure that gives me better economics grasp than anybody else. just lets me string a buncha letters behind my name .. that and a buck will get ya the foam off a latte at Starbucks.

I too am skeptical of the construction of this this Titanic II will ever make money. Part of me, says Super Idea, where do I invest? Another part of me .. even before I saw this video was "somebody" is gonna lose their shirt.

Titanic cost 7.5M in 1912 money, or about $180M in todays money, to build. These cats are spending $450M on this thing, but with ticket inflation 3X construction inflation rate, the Titanic 2022 charging quite a bit higher, as a %, than Titanic 1912 patrons shelled out. The nostalgia crowd, versus the floating mega city cruisers, have to keep occupancy rates UP on the new boat.

Liberty ships. Fantastic story. They are how Aristotle Onassis and others got rich after the war. Average build time 42 days each .. remarkable. We built them faster than the Axis powers could sink them. Only 4 of the 2700 built remain today.

Liberty ship - Wikipedia
00-1-2-2-2.jpg

Last edited:
I'd speculate they would target the 1% with the fare 10X that of a typical cruise ship.
I've never done the cruise ship thing, but if I was going to... this would appeal to me. That price would kill it fast. After the initial batch of folks who just "have to", I just don't believe the nostalgia would be as strong a selling point as modern amenities and more bang for the $$ on a modern ship.

I kinda hope I'm wrong...

4 holes is an important identifier...
1955Buick4.jpg

man... everytime I see cool car art (we have a few threads floating around here with that theme), it reminds me of why I friggin' love these machines.

:thankyou:

man... everytime I see cool car art (we have a few threads floating around here with that theme), it reminds me of why I friggin' love these machines.

:thankyou:

I think this was an Art Fitpatrick ad with that Buick, created before he teamed up with Van Kaufman for the Backgrounds. To me the Epitome of car Illustration.

FK-1960-conv.jpg

FK-1960-conv.jpg

Welll i did go to business school .. twice .. but not sure that gives me better economics grasp than anybody else. just lets me string a buncha letters behind my name .. that and a buck will get ya the foam off a latte at Starbucks.

I too am skeptical of the construction of this this Titanic II will ever make money. Part of me, says Super Idea, where do I invest? Another part of me .. even before I saw this video was "somebody" is gonna lose their shirt.

Titanic cost 7.5M in 1912 money, or about $180M in todays money, to build. These cats are spending $450M on this thing, but with ticket inflation 3X construction inflation rate, the Titanic 2022 charging quite a bit higher, as a %, than Titanic 1912 patrons shelled out. The nostalgia crowd, versus the floating mega city cruisers, have to keep occupancy rates UP on the new boat.

That's a good point, The Titanic, compared to ships built just ten years later, was a small vessel. Today it's a yacht!

Back