Heavy Metal

JANUARY 2016: YES-THAT IS A 1974 IMPERIAL 5TH WHEEL HAULER - MyStarCollectorCar

00-1-2-2-2.jpg
00-1-2-3.jpg
00-1-2-2-3.jpg

The pics of that one just won't stop surfacing... @Dobalovr was trying to help me into her before some hail damage (and the reality of the road trip) stopped us...:rolleyes:

sorry .. my first time seeing it

my first thought was it couldnt withstand torsional NOR axial stresses. let alone tonque weight, that fifth wheel setups need to endure in use. heck the rear glass on occasion must have a load on it. even with whatever that setup is in the trunk, this one spooks me.

reminds me of these examples in Scenicrusin' thread.

00-1-2-2-2.jpg
00-1-2-2-3.jpg
00-1-2-3.jpg

i acknowledge I may not know what im talking about .. just thinking back to discussions with engineers who I worked with during my car company building 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton trucks. these look "flimsy" by comparison to truck-bed mounted setups, but I guess they work.

guess there's no other way to move this thing is there? Just learned (probably should have known it -- i have seen houses being moved, etc) ) of something called "Abnormal Load Transportation".

Actually kinda fascinating. Ever seen 100 ton locomotive (60163 'Tornado" in the UK) moved through city streets, ala the Tundra dragging the space shuttle through LA's streets at night?

00-1-2-2-2.jpg
00-1-2-2-3.jpg

Bonus .. this last video is self explanatory and actually quite fascinating -- moving 2 million pounds on Tennessee public roads in 1980, but check out the Mopar squads in the first 20 seconds or so.

Just parked by by the side of the road Its a Chevrolet ... wrecker bed et. al. looks modern though. Also, it has, and looks like that all it EVER had, ONE wiper arm.

20180622_115744.jpg
20180622_115744-1.jpg

The pics of that one just won't stop surfacing... @Dobalovr was trying to help me into her before some hail damage (and the reality of the road trip) stopped us...:rolleyes:

That and the name of the owner was Stan just didn’t seem right...modifying a Formal beyond its original purpose ...must be the name...:poke:

Just parked by by the side of the road Its a Chevrolet ... wrecker bed et. al. looks modern though. Also, it has, and looks like that all it EVER had, ONE wiper arm.

View attachment 195207View attachment 195209

Not uncommon with base or Commercial models, saw this even with passenger cars. Ford was a bit more generous with a longer wiper arm for the one Piece windshield.
Unbenannt.png

sorry .. my first time seeing it

my first thought was it couldnt withstand torsional NOR axial stresses. let alone tonque weight, that fifth wheel setups need to endure in use. heck the rear glass on occasion must have a load on it. even with whatever that setup is in the trunk, this one spooks me.

reminds me of these examples in Scenicrusin' thread.

View attachment 195124 View attachment 195126 View attachment 195127

i acknowledge I may not know what im talking about .. just thinking back to discussions with engineers who I worked with during my car company building 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton trucks. these look "flimsy" by comparison to truck-bed mounted setups, but I guess they work.
There was a thread where that was discussed and some pictures surfaced showing it was very well braced... those sort of loads on semi-floating bearings is nuts IMO, but I've killed a few 1/2 ton axles in the past too.

Last edited:
Imagine walking a non-descript salvage yard and finding a million dollars?

Long lost Shelby Mustang, 50 years in the wind, found in a field in Texas. Neat story .. but its about to get hyped to death. Still glad somebody with the lettuce to bring it back has it.

We say it all the time .. stuff turns up outta nowhere. Unlike the Norseman (we know where it is but ya cant retrieve it), i wonder where the cool/infamous/famous mssing Mopars are?

Where's the first 426 Heni car(s)? First '70 Hurst 300 off the line? First and only "whatevers" Mopars? Maybe a thread in that question - the "Lost Mopars"? :)

Anyway, classic car lovers no matter the brand you favor might like this. Short video at beginning gives ya most of what you need to know.

'Little Red' 1967 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 found after 50 years, could be worth millions

Capture33.jpg
Capture30.jpg
Capture31.jpg
Capture32.jpg

Last edited:
the first Hemi? Well I learned something new today .. apparently (we all know how the internet is but this info seems credible).

Year was 1942. A V-16, 2,200 cubic inches, 2,400 horses, (yes more horses than cubic inches way back then) ... and in a P-47 Thunderbolt experiemental rig The Chrysler XIV-2200. Never went into production. But hauled a** to about 500 mph.

How bout that :)

XIV-2220 Hemi V-16: first Chrysler engine with a Hemi head design

00-1-2-5-0.jpg
00-1-2-2-2.jpg
00-1-2-4.jpg
00-1-2-2-3.jpg
00-1-2-3.jpg

Oh, this is how the P-47 Thunderbolt finally looked with its Pratt Whitney mill. best speed? ~ 440 mph

00-1-2-5-0.jpg

Heavy metal making light work outta tree/stump removal. came to my attention when somebody bought a heavily treed lot to build a house (almost three acres).

did NOT see how they did it, but in 3-4 work days it was completely cleared, stumps and all. had to have had machines like these.

gotta half hour to kill? i never tire of these shredders/crushers -- as long as NO C-bodies were harmed :)

the first Hemi? Well I learned something new today .. apparently (we all know how the internet is but this info seems credible).

Year was 1942. A V-16, 2,200 cubic inches, 2,400 horses, (yes more horses than cubic inches way back then) ... and in a P-47 Thunderbolt experiemental rig The Chrysler XIV-2200. Never went into production. But hauled a** to about 500 mph.

How bout that :)

XIV-2220 Hemi V-16: first Chrysler engine with a Hemi head design

View attachment 206909 View attachment 206905 View attachment 206908 View attachment 206906 View attachment 206907

Oh, this is how the P-47 Thunderbolt finally looked with its Pratt Whitney mill. best speed? ~ 440 mph

View attachment 206910
The guys in Allpar need to do their homework. R&D on this aircraft started in '39, but plane did not fly until '45. It did all that was expected of it, but by then the jet was the future, not a 16-cylinder piston engine motor. Plane never went beyond the X stage.

'Big Muskie' was the largest dragline ever built, with a 168m3 bucket. Pulling out the tub required a fair bit of effort.
0405678i6utr.jpg

Last edited:
Working for CAT I get to see some pretty big stuff fairly regular. This was just too good not to take a pic of. Must've been a backbreaker to chain down.

IMG_4130.JPG

IMG_4131.JPG

IMG_4132.JPG

Back