Heavy Metal

Prototype Completed!

Hmm ... A "Bullet Truck" - 14 mpg on highway.

66-76.jpg
66-78.jpg
66-79.jpg

I would think they could nudge it up a smidgen if the fairing were a little longer to narrow the gap to the trailer.

Interesting... thanks!

New Heavy Truck EPA Regulations To Require Increased Fuel Economy

assuming the 14 mpg is reliable (dunno if it is or isnt -- allegedly achieved back in 2012 by the builder), that's double what these rigs get now and even well above the 10 mph EPA apparently wants by 2027, why doesn't every truck look like this one today?

Millions of bucks in fuel savings (net of whatever it costs extra to build/maintain a Bullet Truck) on the table (I cannot fathom a right-thiinking fleet or OO passing up these fuel savings), OR is this Bullet Truck NOT all it seems to be?

66-82.jpg

EXCERPT FROM THEIR WEBSITE

We just finished up a coast-to-coast, revenue-producing, real-world, freight hauling run.

We loaded in Connecticut and our first stop was in Tracy, California. We ran into 35 mph 3/4 headwinds all the way through Wyoming and 40 mph crosswinds traveling through Utah. But we still achieved an amazing 13.4 mpg average for the entire coast-to-coast trip.

Here are a couple of pics of the Bullet Truck high-definition engine display. The first one is just like it says, a leg from Gary, Indiana to Cheyenne, Wyoming. As you can see in the center top box, we are traveling 55 mph. Upper left corner is the time at 3:04 in the afternoon.

We are doing 14.2 instant mpg at 17% engine load which means we are climbing uphill. Level and straight with no grade we would be 10% engine load and 17.5-18 mpg. But that Instant MPG does not really mean a thing as far as documenting mpg.

The three numbers in the lower right corners are the key. This is what shows the average mpg for that leg of the trip. They show 950.5 miles traveled since we reset the readout in Gary, Indiana after buying 100 gallons of fuel. We burned 67.4 gallons which shows as an 14.1 mpg average fuel burn.

We also averaged 14.1 from Connecticut to Gary, Indiana.

Last edited:
Probably driven like a hypermiler, and it doesn't give the loaded weight either.

yeah, probably 55mph all the way, and he said the loads were 'paper products, Sony Electronics, and 304,000 plastic paint can covers" -- that doesn't seem that heavy. NO reference anywhere to the ACTUAL weight of the loads.

so maybe it ain't 14 mpg given the way people HAVE to drive/typical loads ..but is it 10 mpg in such circumstances? something aint addin' up here with this Bullet Truck ..:rolleyes:

but, i'm rootin' for 'em. People ragged on Robert Fulton RIGHT up the minute their jaws dropped when the Clermont steamed up the Hudson :)

Oh, his 2015 design concept ..

66-76.jpg

Last edited:
yeah, probably 55mph all the way, and he said the loads were 'paper products, Sony Electronics, and 304,000 plastic paint can covers" -- that doesn't seem that heavy. NO reference anywhere to the ACTUAL weight of the loads.

so maybe it ain't 14 mpg given the way people HAVE to drive/typical loads ..but is it 10 mpg in such circumstances? something aint addin' up here with this Bullet Truck ..:rolleyes:

but, i'm rootin' for 'em. People ragged on Robert Fulton RIGHT up the minute their jaws dropped when the Clermont steamed up the Hudson :)

View attachment 88184
What is this, a Limo? Where's the articulation on that thing?

View attachment 88184

What is this, a Limo? Where's the articulation on that thing?

that "limo" was done back in 2012. The current iteration is this one they are doing with Shell.

Articulation between tractor and trailer looks "flexible", trailer rear wheels open (that's odd), and there's a "winglet" on the back of trailer in this rendering.

66-78.jpg

66-75.jpg

66-76.jpg
66-74.jpg
66-77.jpg

source: Blog War: The First Strike Is Delivered By A B-1…This Restomodded 1949 Dodge B-1

1949 DODGE B-1 TRUCK CUSTOM

Used to be a FIRE TRUCK. Now sits on a 1998 Freightliner Chassis with Air Ride, Air Brake and 24 VALVE CUMMINS DIESEL ENGINE, and 6 SPEED TRANSMISSION.

Equipped with JACOB BRAKE, TRAIN WHISTLE as well as chrome in-cab HORN HANDLE. Truck is painted with KANDY APPLE RED over CHARCOAL, which becomes the nicest, deepest RED WINE color.

Exterior:

•Custom chromed bumpers front and rear
• Airbrushed horses on front of hood
•2 SIDES with CUSTOM WRAP
•Custom stainless sun visor
•2 stacks with Mufflers
•Fifth wheel hitch, can do both UTILITY TRAILERS and SEMI TRAILERS
•Added Marker lamps on top of cab
•Original 1949 Hood ornament
• 2 x 150 gallons capacity fuel tanks
• Custom handle on both side of cab (Personalized with revolvers)

Interior:

• The Dash has been customized and painted the same GUN METAL GREY. Inside doors painted same KANDY APPLE RED.
  • Interior upholstery is Black Tuck N’ Roll.
  • Head Liner and door panels are Black.
  • Vinyl Seats, Maple Wood laminated Floor.
  • Shifter is a REAL SHOTGUN – NON SHOOTABLE.
  • IN-CAB Transmission cover has been airbrushed with beautiful horses.

maybe posted here in another thread but i just stumbled across this.

Guess I am feelin' two ways about this (energy/geo-politics aside). Gotta love his love of the vehicle BUT wow, thats a lotta cheese to spend on this toy.

66-82-2.jpg
66-82-1.jpg

maybe posted here in another thread but i just stumbled across this.

Guess I am feelin' two ways about this (energy/geo-politics aside). Gotta love his love of the vehicle BUT wow, thats a lotta cheese to spend on this toy.

View attachment 88401 View attachment 88400

I have a question: in the middle picture, why is Jesus looking at these trucks?

Top one too.

the vehicle shown is at a show in Abu Dhabi (UAE) -- which is quite diverse (lots of intl. businesses there) as ME metros go :)

From another thread, so I put here so that fine thread can carry on without interruption as that train caught my eye.

post #340 - Old photos with cars

The New York Central Streamliners .. cool then in the 1930's, still cool to me even now. The Commodore Vanderbilt and the Mercury. Conventional locomotives with "shrouds" added.

source: Streamlined Steam |

1934 - Commodore Vanderbilt

The New York Central was the first to fully streamline a steam locomotive in the United States, adding a shovel-nose shroud to a three-year old Hudson (4-6-4) locomotive and naming it the Commodore Vanderbilt.

First made public in December, 1934, the locomotive entered revenue service pulling the railroad’s prestigious, but still heavyweight, 20th Century Limited in February, 1935.

66-78-12.jpg

1936 - The Mercury.

The New York Central asked Henry Dreyfuss–perhaps the nation’s second-most notable industrial designer–to design a train for Cleveland-Detroit service called the Mercury. Dreyfuss saved the railroad millions of dollars by suggesting that it rebuild 10-year-old commuter cars to his design, and to lead the train he put a shroud on two 4-6-2 Pacific locomotives.

Introduced in May, 1936, their design became known as a “bathtub” style and was derided by many people.
66-78-16.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to those who know this, or may have posted these somewhere.

I dig these old trains, vintage advertising art .. and these streamliners. Never knew there were so many examples of these locomotives.

source: Streamlined Steam |

66-78-12.jpg
66-78-13.jpg
66-78-14.jpg
66-78-15.jpg
66-78-16.jpg
66-78-17.jpg
66-78-18.jpg
66-78-19.jpg
66-78-15.jpg

Last edited:
1938 - The French

The first French full-streamlined locomotive named 221B, used on the Paris à Lyon et à la Méditerranée Railway (PLM), converted from the retired Class 221A Atlantics.
66-78-13.jpg

Draugen Field (Norway) Oil Platform. These rigs (and this industry) has fascinated me since I saw John Wayne in Hellfighters in the late 60's

Draugen is an oil field in the Norwegian Sea with a sea depth of 250 metres (800 ft). It is operated by AS Norske Shell. The field has been developed with a concrete fixed facility and integrated topside. Stabilized oil is stored in tanks in the base of the facility. Two flowlines connect the facility to a floating loading buoy. The field has six subsea water injection wells.
66-78-13.jpg
66-78-15.jpg
66-78-14.jpg
66-78-16.jpg

Back