Heavy Metal

USS Connecticut, BB-18, during speed trials off Maine, 1906.
29lv4wzhxli71.jpg

She must have all 12 coal-fired Babcock & Wilcox boilers spinnin' the crap outta the two screws to be belchin' all that black smoke in her speed trials. This pic is before she got her new masts too.

29lv4wzhxli71-jpg.jpg

source: USS_Connecticut_(BB-18)

USS Connecticut (BB-18), the fourth United States Navy ship to be named after the state of Connecticut, was the lead ship of her class of six battleships. Her keel was laid on 10 March 1903; launched on 29 September 1904, Connecticut was commissioned on 29 September 1906, as the most advanced ship in the US Navy.

For the remainder of her career, Connecticut sailed to various places in both the Atlantic and Pacific while training newer recruits to the Navy. However, the provisions of the 1922 Washington Naval Treaty stipulated that many of the older battleships, Connecticut among them, would have to be disposed of, so she was decommissioned on 1 March 1923, and sold for scrap on 1 November 1923.

Connecticut was 456.3 ft (139.1 m) long overall and had a beam of 76.9 ft (23.4 m) and a draft of 24.5 ft (7.5 m). She displaced 16,000 long tons (16,000 t) as designed and up to 17,666 long tons (17,949 t) at full load. The ship was powered by two-shaft triple-expansion steam engines rated at 16,500 indicated horsepower (12,300 kW), with steam provided by twelve coal-fired Babcock & Wilcox boilers ducted into three funnels.

The propulsion system generated a top speed of 18 knots (33 km/h; 21 mph). As built, she was fitted with heavy military masts, but these were quickly replaced by lattice masts in 1909. She had a crew of 827 officers and men, though this increased to 881 and later to 896.

The ship was armed with a main battery of four 12 inch /45 Mark 5[a] guns in two twin gun turrets on the centerline, one forward and aft. The secondary battery consisted of eight 8-inch (203 mm) /45 guns and twelve 7-inch (178 mm) /45 guns. The 8-inch guns were mounted in four twin turrets amidships and the 7-inch guns were placed in casemates in the hull.

For close-range defense against torpedo boats, she carried twenty 3-inch (76 mm) /50 guns mounted in casemates along the side of the hull and twelve 3-pounder guns. She also carried four 37 mm (1.5 in) 1-pounder guns. As was standard for capital ships of the period, Connecticut carried four 21 inch (533 mm) torpedo tubes, submerged in her hull on the broadside.

Connecticut's main armored belt was 11 in (279 mm) thick over the magazines and the propulsion machinery spaces and 6 in (152 mm) elsewhere. The main battery gun turrets had 12-inch (305 mm) thick faces, and the supporting barbettes had the 10 in (254 mm) of armor plating. The secondary turrets had 7 in (178 mm) of frontal armor. The conning tower had 9 in (229 mm) thick sides.
Connecticut after the new masts and that crest-looking thing spanning the bow being removed

H.png

Last edited:
locals know this pre-Renaissance Center skyline.

i went to school downtown in the mid 1970s and frequented the river (even with my children 20 years later) to watch the big boats ply up and downstream.

I saw this magnificent piece of "Heavy Metal" many times in the early 1970's (not this particular day as this picture alleged to have been taken October 1974) before she went on to "live" in memory (and song)

M1.png
M2.png

Up close and personal. play it loud if you can.

C17 Globemaster, F15, M109 "Palidan" self-propelled Howitzer. About 10 mins, captioned with information many many frames of the vid, on each magnificent pieice of heavy metal

Untitled13.png

Fleet battleships under the incomplete Golden Gate Bridge, leading ship is USS Arizona (BB-39), followed by USS Nevada (BB-36), USS Maryland (BB-46) and USS Texas (BB-35), Nov 1936
o9tdxynwp8o71.jpg

Not exactly "Heavy Metal," but, I saw this in Carson City, Nevada, and had to take a picture!

I've always gotten a kick out of people still calling Steam Rollers, STEAM Rollers since they haven't been powered by steam in most of our lifetimes.

Check this beauty out! (I don't mean the woman!)

20210723_141222.jpg

The BUFF!!!

Interesting shot; where was it taken? Wondering if it were Mather in Sacramento? Castle in Atwater?

I sure miss seeing the B-52s flying in the Sacramento and Atwater areas.
Looks like Barksdale to me, I was there 3 1/2 years. B-52's were my babies, G models anyways. The one in the pic is a H model, Barksdale was switching to H models as the G's were being retired when I was close to getting out

Back