Heavy Metal

USS New Jersey.
sfr05ioh7v781.jpg

Advertised as the largest "self-propelled" (infers there is something bigger -- pushed by dozers/trains?) snow blower in the world. Norway's TV2200 (2,200 HP between blower and chassis)

UntitledEE!2.png

UntitledEE!!.png

Speaking of trains ... I knew they did this. Never saw it being done in person on rail road tracks.

Didn't think I'd sever see one get stuck .. about 3:50 to 5:00 it happened. total vid is about 12 minutes.

last one ... appears the best technique to clear snow (in most cases) off RR tracks is to go through it at a brisk clip. video about 4 mins long.

I did see with my own eyes big-azz truck snow plows going through --- looked like 40+ mph -- a snow city off Lake Erie flipping cars onto front yards of people who did NOT obey snow emergency parking rules to NOT park on certain streets. Blades didn't hit the cars .. the snow "wake" from the blades flipped the cars onto their sidess/roofs.

This video is advertised "Funniest Trains Going through Snow" ... a couple of these incidents look more dangerous than funny .

Example ... all these people on this TWO-sided rail platform, especially the left side (what is the lady in the white knit cap doing while the train is coming? Looking at her phone!) are about to get pasted. I almost put this one segment in the "Epic Whoops" thread...

UntitledEE!2.png

Last edited:
A fella told me about a video of something going by stationary camera at 6,600 (six thousand six hundred mph). Guffaw, guffaw, BS, What you smokin' man, etc. -- it was friendly but I did not believe it

We were just two strangers in a car dealership service area waiting on our vehicles .. never met before likely wont again

He was serious but couldnt produce the reference -- said he thought the "Army" did it". He didnt remember the context, the where, when ... as i was honestly curious.

Some of you may already know this answer.

Box One: where was this alleged feat accomplished?

Seems the US Air Force tested a hypersonic (Mach 6) rocket sled at their Holloman Test Track in New Mexico: So check one box -- Feds have a place I have never heard of. Holloman High Speed Test Track - Wikipedia

UntitledEE!!.png

more about Holloman test track:
US Air Force engineers prepare rocket sled for hypersonic ground tests | Aerospace Testing International

Box two: roll the video.

This is astounding btw. Imagine yourself (unless the shockwave would kill ya) where the camera is. Even at 1/4 speed, you cannot even see the thing go by. Assuming we all aint getting punked by Uncle Sam, check box two.

Guess its like try to see a bullet go by .. we have shutter-speeds that can catch that, but apparently that camera wasn't being used in the video.

You hear a what sounds like a gunshot, see a light, hear something coming, and then never see what just went by but you are pretty sure something did go tear-azzin' down the track. I think you can view the video at YouTube.

UntitledEE!!.png

Box three: What the heck went by?

I can't yet find the physical/materials specs on this thing. But in Sept 2019 it did Mach 8.6, 6,599 Mph, or 1.83 miles per second -- down here on earth.

Surely not the heaviest metal we have .. but we dont have a vid here that shows something this big and this fast going by a stationary observer.

Note escape velocity from the planet is 7 miles per second, or 25,000 mph -- but in some ways that's EZ because atmospheric friction is not dragging on the craft like it is down on earth.

Imagine what 7 miles per second would look like going by if you could park yourself a few miles above Cape Canaveral

UntitledEE!!.png

Dive in here for more info/source of photos -- all kinda cool stuff going on at Holloman:

US Air Force engineers prepare rocket sled for hypersonic ground tests | Aerospace Testing International
Here's A Hypersonic Sled Travelling At More Than 1 Mile Per Second @ Top Speed

btw, what does 200 mph look like going by you standing next to the road? Happens at every super speedway in NASCAR

I guess 33X faster than that, or 6.600 mph ... like the rocket sled .. its kinda easy to tell that object would be invisible to the human eye.

Last edited:
Saturn V, Kennedy Space Center
View attachment 515708
one of my all-time favorite pieces of heavy metal, and one of humankind's most magnificent engineering & manufacturing, & program execution achievements ... ever.

may not be topped for several more centuries IMHO,... unless we figure out warp drive or teleportation.

the Saturn V, and all the technologies we still enjoy right now, because we successfully went to the Moon.

Tangent:

Picture below are the things (estimated by NASA to be north of 2,000 technologies) invented within, improved upon, or lead to related technologies that ALSO wound up as consumer products, by NASA (& other govt/university/private company labs) trying to get humans into space).

Would we have invented this stuff anyway?

probably .. but in such a concentrated fashion (trying to keep our assassinated President's promise, competing with the Russians at the same time?

source: NASA Spinoffs

UntitledEE2ccc128.png

Last edited:
26-inch thick armor from a Japanese Yamato class battleship, pierced by a US Navy 16-inch gun. The armor is on display at the US Navy Museum.
View attachment 518991

From the link, I learned that the Yamato-class battleship in question was the Shinano. Makes sense, since the Musashi and the Yamato were both sunk in pretty deep waters and it would have been surprising to see a part of their armor cut and raised from the seabed.

"The winner ... and still ... the most powerful diesel engine in the world!" A few posts here already on these magnificent Wärtsilä diesels

The Wärtsilä RT-flex96C : (source: The biggest engine in the world)

. Finland built/engineered
. 107,349 horsepower (one hundred seven thousand)
. 7,000,000 Nm torque (seven million)
. 102 (one humdred two) RPM "redline"
. 14 cylinders
. 44 feet tall, 90 feet long, weighs 2,300 tons

UntitledEE2ccc1211.png
UntitledEE2ccc1212.png

UntitledEE2ccc1213.png
UntitledEE2ccc1214.png

UntitledEE2ccc12145.png

Usage is in another (and similar) "Heavy Metal" candidate for another post: The Emma Mærsk , a cargo ship (157,000 deadweight tons, 1,300 feet long) that can carry 11,000 (eleven thousand) 20-foot shipping containers at a speed of up 31 knots.

The shifting economics of global ocean freight business, and the diesels and ship designs, is actually fascinating (if that nerdy economics stuff interests you)

1647189932873.png

UntitledEE2ccc12147.png

Last edited:
Followiup to #1,615

Well, it appears Emma Mærsk, with its biggest diesel in the world, is a "dinosaur"?

A clue is in the video in #1,615 from Wärtsilä itself, announcing their next gen engine -- the 92C (see screenshot below for time stamp in the video). Somewhat smaller then their 96C -- still powerful but wont have same HP and torque, but getter fuel economy/emissions performance.

1647279833819.png

That video also newer ships are BIGGER, SLOWER, and have superior hull designs than ole Emma. And, these newer ships are already here and been in the news -- but not in a good way.

Here the Ever Given; She made news by getting sideways in the Suez Canal last year

UntitledEE2ccc12145.png

. Japan built/engineered
. Top speed 23 knots (vs. 30 knots for Emma)
. 199,629 deadweight tons (vs. 157,000 for Emma)
. 1.300 feet long (about same as Emma)
. Can carry 20,000 containers (vs. 11,000 for Emma

So, what's under the hood of the Ever Given? The MAN B&W 11G95ME-C9: (source: MAN’s Largest, Most Powerful Engine Leaves Test Bed)

1647280878463.png

. two-stroke design
. 79,500 HP (vs. 107,000 for the Wartsila 96C)
. 80 (eighty) RPM "redline"
. 11 cylinders

Boil all that down.

The Ever Given has TWICE the cargo capacity, 25% less speed ... and its NOT the best of what's coming in terms of design of the boats AND their propulsion. Container ships have to carry MORE, use LESS fuel, be more slippery in the water due to better hull designs.

The "powertrain" has a big role .. one reason to slow engine RPM is so they CAN use BIGGER propellers .. combined with more slippery hulls, theey can more efficiently move the boat (albiet slower in terms of knots because engine is less powerful) using less fuel, therefore emitting less CO2.

This 3 minute video answers the majority of the "why are they doing this"?

In the video there is an actual comparison of Emma Maersk to the Ever Given that makes the basics of the trends in these mega- container boats (and huge ships) over next 20 years.

Last edited:
Don't think one of these BIG plane recycle jobs is in this thread. Combination of a building-like demo, then like an automobile the rest of the way.

Video is 5 minutes - Lockheed C-141 "Starlifter" reaches end of the road in a little over 2 hours.

Born 1965, retired 2006:

. Length: 168 ft 4 in (51.3 m)
. Wingspan: 160 ft 0 in (48.8 m)
. Height: 39 ft 3 in (12 m)
. Wing area: 3,228 sq ft (300 m2)
. Empty weight: 144,492 lb (65,542 kg)
. Max takeoff weight: 342,100 lb (147,000 kg)

1647563937207.png

I sent more than one B-52G there when they were being retired. Only the H model left now

that was interesting .... thanks! i'd like to see this place.

UntitledEE2ccc129.png

The 309th Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group (309th AMARG),[3] often called The Boneyard, is a United States Air Force aircraft and missile storage and maintenance facility in Tucson, Arizona, located on Davis–Monthan Air Force Base.

The 309th AMARG takes care of nearly 4,000 aircraft, which makes it the largest aircraft storage and preservation facility in the world.

An Air Force Materiel Command unit, the group is under the command of the Ogden Air Logistics Complex at Hill Air Force Base, Utah.

The 309th AMARG was originally meant to store excess Department of Defense and Coast Guard aircraft, but has in recent years been designated the sole repository of out-of-service aircraft from all branches of the US government.

The facility has received US made foreign military aircraft: Boeing CC-137 (from RCAF for use in Joint Stars E-8 program), Lockheed CP-140 (from RCAF).

The arid climate of the region makes the 309th AMARG an ideal location for storing aircraft, as there is very little humidity in the air that would corrode
metal. Furthermore, the surface is hard so that the aircraft do not sink into the ground.

that was interesting .... thanks! i'd like to see this place.

View attachment 521405

The 309th Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group (309th AMARG),[3] often called The Boneyard, is a United States Air Force aircraft and missile storage and maintenance facility in Tucson, Arizona, located on Davis–Monthan Air Force Base.

The 309th AMARG takes care of nearly 4,000 aircraft, which makes it the largest aircraft storage and preservation facility in the world.

An Air Force Materiel Command unit, the group is under the command of the Ogden Air Logistics Complex at Hill Air Force Base, Utah.

The 309th AMARG was originally meant to store excess Department of Defense and Coast Guard aircraft, but has in recent years been designated the sole repository of out-of-service aircraft from all branches of the US government.

The facility has received US made foreign military aircraft: Boeing CC-137 (from RCAF for use in Joint Stars E-8 program), Lockheed CP-140 (from RCAF).

The arid climate of the region makes the 309th AMARG an ideal location for storing aircraft, as there is very little humidity in the air that would corrode
metal. Furthermore, the surface is hard so that the aircraft do not sink into the ground.
I would like to visit it also, lots of history there. Sad though that a lot of it is being scrapped

Back