Heavy Metal

1647999479509.png

Post #1,621 ... lets see some more. Might already be here .. we did the big draglines couple years ago??

Anyway, a Heavy Metal masterpiece worthy of this thread for sure! Shoot, I am from Kansas .. I might have to drive down to SE Kansas to West Mineral (3 hours from Lawrence KS) for a day trip to see this beast.

Source: Big Brutus - Wikipedia

Big Brutus is the nickname of the Bucyrus-Erie model 1850-B electric shovel, which was the second largest of its type in operation in the 1960s and 1970s.

Big Brutus is the centerpiece of a mining museum in West Mineral, Kansas where it was used in coal strip mining operations. The shovel was designed to dig from 20 to 69 feet (6.1 to 21.0 m) down to unearth relatively shallow coal seams, which would themselves be mined with smaller equipment.

Fabrication of Big Brutus was completed in May 1963, after which it was shipped on 150 railroad cars to be assembled in Kansas. It operated until 1974, when it became uneconomical to mine coal at the site. At that time it was considered too big to move and was left in place.

Big Brutus, while not the largest electric shovel ever built, is the largest electric shovel still in existence.

The Captain, (
see post #1,623 below) at 28 million pounds (13 kt) – triple that of Big Brutus – was the largest shovel and one of the largest land-based mobile machines ever built, only exceeded by some dragline and bucket-wheel excavators. It was scrapped in 1992, after receiving extreme damage from an hours-long internal fire.

. Type Electric shovel
. Manufacturer Bucyrus-Erie
. Production 1 unit made; June 1962 to May 1963 at a cost of $6.5 million
. Length 79.5 feet (24.2 m) (house)
. Width 58 feet (18 m) (house)
. Height 160 feet (48.8 m) (to tip of boom)
. Weight 9,300,000 pounds (4,200,000 kg) + 1,700,000 pounds (770,000 kg) ballast when operational
. Gross power ≥7,500 hp (standard), ≥15,000 hp (peak)
. Speed 0.22 mph (19 ft/min) (5.8m/min) max
. Blade capacity 90 cubic yards (68.8 m3) or 150 short tons (140 t)

UntitledEE2ccc1292-AABC.png
UntitledEE2ccc1292-AAB.png
1648044289313.png

Whats inside of Big Brutus look like? well, there's a video for everything .. even that :)

Last edited:
followup to post 1,622.

source: Marion 6360 - Wikipedia

The Captain .. the biggest electric shovel ever built.

Marion 6360, also known as The Captain, was a giant power shovel built by the Marion Power Shovel company. Completed in 1965, it was one of the largest land vehicles ever built, exceeded only by some dragline and bucket-wheel excavators.

The shovel originally started work with Southwestern Illinois Coal Corporation, but the owners were soon bought out by Arch Coal. Everything remained the same at the mine except for the colors which were changed to red, white, and blue.

The shovel worked well for Arch Coal until September 9, 1991, when a fire broke out in the lower works of the shovel.

It was caused by a burst hydraulic line that was spraying the hot fluids on an electrical relay panel. This fire caused a great deal of damage to both the lower works and machine house.

Afterwards, engineers from both Arch and Marion Power Shovel surveyed the damage and deemed it too great to repair, and the machine was scrapped one year later in the last pit it dug.

• Boom Length: 215 feet (66 m)
  • Bucket Capacity: 180 cubic yards (140 m3) (double doors)
  • Overall Weight: 12,700 tons
  • Total Height: 210 feet (64 m)
  • Crawler Height: 16 feet (4.9 m)
  • Individual Track weight: 3.5 tons apiece (42 pads per track total)
  • Clearance Under Shovel: 16 feet (4.9 m) to the first level of the Lower Works
  • Largest Shovel In The World & Largest Ever Built By Marion--
  • Started Service: 1965
  • Dismantled: 1992
  • Power 15,000 hp
  • Build time (site erection) 18 months & 150,000 man hours

1648040271303.png

1648040752327.png

Big Brutus' 40% BIGGER cousin (3850-B) .. "The Big Hog". (source: Power shovel - Wikipedia).

First, before today, I never heard of the "Big Hog". Another Bucyrus mega electric, stripmining shovel that, beyond the technology of the product, it holds a really unique story in American history.

The Big Hog, to this day, is buried in a "grave" it dug for itself. Born 1962, "retired" permanently in 1986, It was used to strip-mine coal at the Sinclair mine for use by the TVA powerplant in western Kentucky.

There is no museum for it like its big brother Brutus ... nor was its disposition was dismantling/scrapping like the other big electrics like it.

Another stripping shovel, The Bucyrus-Erie 3850-B known as "Big Hog" was eventually cut down in 1985 and buried on the Peabody Sinclair Surface Mining site near the Paradise Mining Plant where it was operated. It remains there on non-public, government-owned land.

1648049607513.png
1648051642993.png

TANGENT: When the Big Hog went out of service, it had been embroiled in controversy (source: Big Hog strip mine shovel | The Pop History Dig) of environmental regulation, socio-economic issues for workers, business-economics of mining, a John Prine song, etc.

The controversy is NOT for this thread or this forum (WAY too much politics) .. but if interested the link in this paragraph can point to some info sources (even John Prine as a young man). It is actually quite fascinating -- and depressing in a way.

Anyway, rather than move it when its time came, its owner Peabody Coal partially dismantled it (took off its boom and tracks), drained it of volatiles/removed otherwise hazardous material, and used a drag line and covered it all with dirt right where it was (@ Sinclair Mine for 25 years) in Western Kentucky.

Btw, even though it may be obvious of others, I had to think about WHY, over 100 years later, modern versions of these BIG shovels are built "onsite" (place where/near they are used).

Simple.

You really can't easily/ecomonically ship the complete shovel up to many thousand miles from where it was engineered -- they are too big, too heavy, etc... Take the Cat 7495 ..a mere 3 million lbs. (1,500 tons) assembled.

1648053029338.png

four minute time-lapse video shows this "build it onsite" method of the Cat 7495, how many people to do it, their skills, etc.

Surprised I didnt put this one here sooner.

"Connie" - the Lockheed Constellation. One of the truly transformative aircraft ever made.

Yes, there's bigger, there's faster rigs, jet aircraft obsoleted them, etc... but there's hardly any more influential/iconic aircrafts in their design and operation. Literally helped change the whole world.

Ton of info at this Wiki link if interested: Lockheed Constellation - Wikipedia

1648398504904.png

The Lockheed Constellation ("Connie") is a propeller-driven, four-engined airliner built by Lockheed Corporation starting in 1943. The Constellation series was the first pressurized-cabin civil airliner series to go into widespread use.

Its pressurized cabin enabled commercial passengers to fly well above most bad weather for the first time, thus significantly improving the general safety and ease of air travel.

General characteristics (Super Constellation version)

. Crew: 5 flight crew, varying cabin crew
. Capacity: typically 62–95 passengers (109 in high-density configuration) / 18,300 lb (8,301 kg) payload
. Length: 116 ft 2 in
. Wingspan: 126 ft 2 in
. Height: 24 ft 9 in
. Empty weight: 79,700 lb
. Max takeoff weight: 137,500 lb
. Powerplant: 4 × Wright R-3350-DA3 Duplex-Cyclones 3,250 hp each
. Maximum speed: 377 mph
. Cruise speed: 340 mph
. Range: 5,400 mi

. Service ceiling: 24,000 ft

1648398624026.png

1648399423340.png

8 minutes of contemporary video, including the fire-spitting, powerful Wright radial 3350's in action.

Last edited:

"Connnie" - the Lockheed Constellation. One of the truly transformative aircraft ever made. Yes, there's bigger, there's faster rigs, jet aircraft obsoleted them, etc... but there's hardly any more influential/iconic aircrafts in their design and operation. Literally helped change the whole world.

View attachment 522653

The Lockheed Constellation ("Connie") is a propeller-driven, four-engined airliner built by Lockheed Corporation starting in 1943. The Constellation series was the first pressurized-cabin civil airliner series to go into widespread use.

Its pressurized cabin enabled commercial passengers to fly well above most bad weather for the first time, thus significantly improving the general safety and ease of air travel.

. Capacity: typically 62–95 passengers (109 in high-density configuration) / 18,300 lb (8,301 kg) payload

View attachment 522654View attachment 522648

View attachment 522657

8 minutes of contemporary video, including the fire-spitting, powerful Wright radial 3350's in action.

I have a spark plug from a Connie somewhere in the shop.
In Camarillo, there used to be 2. One got sold and went to Sweden and the other was an electronic warfare version and I think it went to a museum.

I have a spark plug from a Connie somewhere in the shop.
In Camarillo, there used to be 2. One got sold and went to Sweden and the other was an electronic warfare version and I think it went to a museum.

if you get a sec @3175375, can you help the interested but uninformed like me please? :)

what is the significance of such a spark plug in this context? rare because it was used in "Connie"? or because used in a 3350 radial? something inherently/technically rare about such this particular plug?

something else?

thanks in advance!

if you get a sec @3175375, can you help the interested but uninformed like me please? :)

what is the significance of such a spark plug in this context? rare because it was used in "Connie"? or because used in a 3350 radial? something inherently/technically rare about such this particular plug?

something else?

thanks in advance!
I had been given a tour of the aircraft by a mentor of mine who had retired and was working on a C-47 there at the Camarillo airport.

No special significance other than a momentous from someone who took me under his wing to teach me about radar and weapons systems.

Now I’ll have to dig it up and post a pic…

I had been given a tour of the aircraft by a mentor of mine who had retired and was working on a C-47 there at the Camarillo airport.

No special significance other than a momentous from someone who took me under his wing to teach me about radar and weapons systems.

Now I’ll have to dig it up and post a pic…

definitely a special piece then ... thanks,

:thumbsup:

A litle more on Connies.

The Columbine II, the first plane (under Eisenhower) to wear the designation "Air Force One".

source: Columbine II - Wikipedia

1648417534959.png

Columbine II is a Lockheed VC-121A-LO Constellation (Air Force Serial Number 48–0610, Lockheed Model 749-79-36); the aircraft that was to become the first plane to use the Air Force One callsign and the only presidential aircraft ever sold to a private party.

The aircraft owner was considering cutting the aircraft up as scrap when the Smithsonian Institution, during a research project, contacted the owner and informed him that 48-0610 was, in fact, a former presidential aircraft.

Columbine II was purchased and moved from Arizona to Bridgewater, Virginia in March 2016 for restoration by Dynamic Aviation. The purchase price has not been disclosed, but the purchaser, Karl D. Stoltzfus Sr., founder of Dynamic Aviation, has said it was less than $1.5 million.

Dynamic Aviation mechanics did significant work on the plane in Arizona in preparation for its flight to Virginia. The restoration is expected to take several years to complete.

1648417403360.png

source: Columbine II Makes It To Texas

Columbine II, a Lockheed VC-121A Constellation that once served as Air Force One for President Dwight Eisenhower, took to the air this week after being grounded since 2003.

The airplane, which has been undergoing restoration in Tucson, Arizona, flew to the Mid America Flight Museum, in Mount Pleasant, Texas, on Monday.

The 1,000-mile flight took about five hours. Volunteers from the museum have been working with engineers from Dynamic Aviation, the aircraft’s current owner, to return it to flight status.

1648418579049.png

source: Our Story: Restoration Project Detail – Columbine II

Last thing I located on status (details and pics at link below) of the restoration in June 2020:

1648418763709.png
1648419250301.png

source: Columbine II Restoration - June 2020

"Connie" - the Lockheed Constellation. One of the truly transformative aircraft ever made.

Yes, there's bigger, there's faster rigs, jet aircraft obsoleted them, etc... but there's hardly any more influential/iconic aircrafts in their design and operation. Literally helped change the whole world.

View attachment 522653

View attachment 522654View attachment 522648

View attachment 522657

A customer of mine that knew I was former Air Force told me some stories about his flight hours logged in the Constellation, I wish I could remember all the stories.

One of the most beautiful planes ever built. There is one at the Chino Air Museum in So. Cal. I was there one day when it fired up, taxied out, and took off. Wonderful! Right before it a very rare P-51A did the same. Great day to be there!

UntitledEE2ccc129-3.png

how do you move this truck (Cat 793 (or bigger), 900K lbs, 25 ft tall, 40 ft long), in this case, from Chile to Australia? Oh, and you got move 12 of them.

Well, some guys with fork trucks, crates, lo-boys, cranes, and giant ocean-going boats are involved. 4 mins of vid below

How about on land (i guess if not that far/on site, otherwise you probably gotta do it pieces)? Ya just close a public road and drive it.

Or like they did it in Fort McMurray Alberta . "flat bed" it using four class 8 rigs and be careful?

Dang .. flat tire on my 797. NP. there's a tool for that. Seriously though, are these tires inflated? tubeb? neither?

Last edited:
this last one shows up here: What machine tool was the biggest workhorse of WWII? - Page 3

1648992883875.png

Yeah, the machinists professional has a "forum" too, of course.

To my untrained eyes, this is a lathe. Specifically I think it is a turret (or "capstan") lathe.

Basically mass producing identical parts typically needed machines/gadgets like cars, tanks, guns, battleships, and planes. The wiki link was a learning opportunity for me and lots of cool info there to noodle on if you wanna deep dive.

BTW, the machinist forum thread was called "What machine tool was the biggest workhorse of WWII?".

Again a learning chance for me, I perused it (three pages, like 60 posts). Fascinating equipment types/brands/functions in some of the posts was very informative.

However, amongst the enlightening info, there were "skirmishes" that were predictably "political" and a little ugly (e.g., Americans vs. Europeans, planes vs. boats - which was superior, etc) that drifted away from the OP's original question -- what machine tools saw the most action related to WWII?

It became more about the war itself and not the metal working.. they tried to self police the thread but some posters just had to duke it out until the thread just petered out with a couple folks "argufying" ...

Last edited:
another iconic plane I am surprised we don't have here.

The Douglas DC-3. First flew in 1935, did civilian (passenger and cargo0) and military (C-47 "Dakota") duty, last built 1946 (actually a variant is STILL being built today in Wisconsin).

But, by some estimates, a few hundred of the original planes are flying today, even some commercially. In fact, the only pre-WWII aircraft still in commercial service

Like Connie, the wiki link is full of info you may wanna dive into if interested. One of my favorite planes anyway.

source: Douglas DC-3

1649172676617.png

1649172611787.png
1649172798066.png
1649173622306.png
1649173181317.png

General characteristics

. 607 civilian variants
. 10,048 military C-47 and C-53 derivatives built at Santa Monica, California, Long Beach, California, and Oklahoma City
. 4,937 built under license in the Soviet Union (1939–1950) as the Lisunov Li-2
. 487 Mitsubishi Kinsei-engined aircraft built by Showa and Nakajima in Japan (1939–1945)

. Crew: two
. Capacity: 21–32 passengers
. Length: 64 ft 8 in (19.7 m)
. Wingspan: 95 ft 2 in (29.0 m)
. Height: 16 ft 11 in (5.16 m)
. Empty weight: 16,865 lb (7,650 kg)
. Gross weight: 25,200 lb (11,431 kg)
. Powerplant: 2 × Pratt & Whitney Wright_R-1820_Cyclone air-cooled two row radial piston engine, 1,200 hp each
. Propellers: 3-bladed Hamilton Standard 23E50 series, 11 ft 6 in diameter

Performance

. Maximum speed: 230 mph at 8,500 ft
. Cruise speed: 207 mph
. Range: 1,580 mi
. Service ceiling: 23,200 ft

Why are they still around ... 3 min. Smithsonian video presents some reasons why they think so.

My dad was the Crew Chief on a C-47. I still have his Flight Handbook from his days in the USAF. It got me a good grade in High School History and College Psychology. The High School Teacher was a fan of planes, the Psy Professor was a WWII Pilot. Both loved reading it!

Sending this 1940s? crane off to scrap.

View attachment 524304
That piece of machinery has a heritage, and seems to have a collector market .. dunno how active though. Maybe that model list below can help ID it?

source: https://tractors.fandom.com/wiki/Hanson_Clutch_and_Machinery_Co.

Hanson Clutch and Machinery Co.

The Hanson Clutch and Machinery Company was founded in 1914 by two brothers in Tiffin, Ohio, USA as a manufacturer of clutches.

The company introduced its first excavator in 1924. the company was taken over by Pettibone-Mullikene Corporation of Chicago. The company survives as the Tiffin Parts, LLC.

Founded in 1914 by brothers Milton and Clifford Hanson to manufacture there patented clutch design.

In 1924 Milton retired and Clifford took control of the company. Then in 1924 the company then introduced the first excavator, using there own clutches, in a 3/8 cu yd crawler excavator, powered by a petrol engine.

The company claimed it was the first excavator of this type built in the USA. At this time most excavators were still Steam shovels.

In 1963 the company was sold to an MBO and renamed the Hanson Machinery Company.

The Pettibone-Mulliken Corporation of Chicago then bought the firm in 1966, and droped excavator manufacture but continued building cranes at the Tiffin facility for a few years before switching it to be a parts facility.

Model range​

• 3/8 yd excavator - 1924 - McCormick-Deering petrol engine
  • Hanson model 28 3/8 yd
  • Hanson model 22 - 1/4 cu yd
  • Hanson model 33 - 3/8 cu yd
  • Hanson model 44 - 1/2 cu yd
  • Hanson model 55 - 5/8 cu yd
  • Hanson model 66 - 3/4 cu yd
  • Hanson model 30 comet - 1938 with hydraulic control of clutches.
  • Hanson model 31 - 3/8 yd
  • Hanson model 41 - 1/2 yd of 1944
  • Hanson model 61 - 3/4 yd
  • Hanson model 254 - 3/8 yd of 1954
  • Hanson model 354 - 1/2 yd of 1954
  • Hanson model 454 - 1/2 yd HD
  • Hanson model 654 - 3/4 yd Universal excavator.

Back