Hello

Smurfy064

Reaction score
Just introducing myself to c body only page, growing up a chevy guy, and still am to an extent, I have found a great deal of affection for the mopars. 7 years ago I restored a 68 charger and then my son and I restored a 68 barracuda that he drives daily . I've now bought a 66 polara convert and will be having some questions, they guy we bought it from suggested this page as a great source of info, so first question, when did they go to electronic ignition? On my sons small block 318 it was an easy swap, but on the 383 when I went to order a hei distributor, they wanted to know what year, so any help with this would be appreciated........thanks

Hey Smurfy welcome aboard. IIRC 73' was first year for electronic ignition setup....but is is relatively easy to retro-fit pre-73' cars....I did mine (70' Newport). Would like to see pics also.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Pics are a must of course.
the switch to electronic wasn't done till the early '70s but the year shouldn't matter. If your points distributer is in good shape mechanically you should look into a pertronics conversion kit. I'm running it on 2 of my big blocks right now and I am pleased. Bought one of them on Amazon and the other through Summit. Get the kit and the coil.

My 68 charger 440/4 speed

Runs as good as it looks! image.jpg

image.jpg

Very kool, now lets see the '66.

A few pictures of our projects, some closer to done than others!
sorry, but one of my Chevys crept into one of the pics.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Based on the nice work that you've done on the other cars it bodes well for the outcome of the ragtop. Welcome aboard and please keep us up to date wrt to your progress.

Thanks for the pics, nice fleet. We just saw your '66 on here last week. It got some favorable reviews just so you know. Hardly a C body goes up for sale on the net in the states and Canada without us giving it the once over on this board. Hang around a while and you'll see.

Wow. Those are nice cars. :icon_thumleft:
The 383 engine was built for the last time in 1971, so no 383's had electronic ignition, but the 400 engine had electronic ignition starting in '72 and the 400 distributor fits the 383.

Welcome, that Chevrolet Monte Carlo isn't bad either. Got a soft spot for the early SS454 versions of these. A bit overlooked in the shadows of the SS Chevelles, Camaros and Novas, just the same as with Chrysler.

Mopar started using Electronic Ignition in 1972 and it was standard on all engines starting in 1973 and evolving in to Lean Burn several years later. I remember the big sales slogan in 1973 when I bought my Ralleye Challenger.......Electronic Ignition is standard on all of our new model cars.

ApplicationMopar Perf.
Part Num. *
170-198-225 Slant SixP3690789
3.9L V6P4529402
273-318-340-360 Small Block V8P3690426
361-383-400 B EnginesP3690427
413-426W-440 RB and 426 Hemi EnginesP3690428
* Source: 1996 Mopar Performance Catalog

ApplicationMopar Perf.
Part Num. *
Orange Box for up to 6000 RPMP4120505
Chrome Box for up to 8000 RPM (race)P4120534
Gold Box for up to 10000 RPM (race)P4120600
* Source: 1996 Mopar Performance Catalog

My chrome box went down on the way home from Carlisle. Dad had a new one in the box from Herbs, and away we go

Welcome, that Chevrolet Monte Carlo isn't bad either. Got a soft spot for the early SS454 versions of these. A bit overlooked in the shadows of the SS Chevelles, Camaros and Novas, just the same as with Chrysler.
I always liked those cars too. A friend of mine had a '70 Monte Carlo. It had a kind of two tone factory paint on it. The hood, roof and trunk were sort of a copper bronze color while the sides had silver grey. It had a brown vinyl interior and the ralleye wheels. His had the 350-4V engine, but it moved pretty good for a small block. Another buddy had a '74 with the big-block in it.
Seemed like almost everybody had one of them back in the day, but I haven't seen a Monte around here in must be 15 or 20 years.

My chrome box went down on the way home from Carlisle. Dad had a new one in the box from Herbs, and away we go

See.......it is a good idea to have essential parts in the trunk. That would be terrible to have your beauty sitting on the side of the road even for a minute while you are looking for an ignition module. I had a new "shiny performance coil" fail on Route 40 in a heavy traffic area last year.

Back