How quickly does one rebuild A727 transmission?

330dTA

Reaction score
Out of quriosity: How long does it take from an experienced mechanic to disassemble, go through, and assemble a regular A727 transmission? Timed from the minute it arrives on your table, to the moment it’s ready to be lifted into a delivery truck. A regular service build, changing the clutches and whatever you normally would do. Only adding a Trans-Go Stage 1 shift kit.

Your question does not work......
To just open and replace some parts,, mebbe an hour....
What takes a lot of time is the cleaning and then measuring various clearances ...
So could be couple hours,, could be five or six hours....

Your question does not work......
To just open and replace some parts,, mebbe an hour....
What takes a lot of time is the cleaning and then measuring various clearances ...
So could be couple hours,, could be five or six hours....

Thank you, this is the kind of reply I was sort of expecting. It gives one a good time range. Eight hours a hundred bucks an hour, plus parts. (My tranny rebuild cost me 15 hundred, plus the shift kit.)

It will also depend on how much debris from failed components are inside the transmission. It can take as long to clean it as it does to rebuild it. About $1500 is the going price for a quality rebuild assuming that the hard parts are in good shape. That price should also include a rebuilt torque convertor. The eight hours of labor is a reasonable number.

Dave

Just having gone through mine over the winter 8-9 hrs is reasonable. My rebuild total cost was just shy of 1100.00 w/ convertor + front pump.

What's going to happen when these 10 speed dual clutch start crapping the bed.
Torch the car and report it stolen?
In my case I was chasing a minor leak at the low / reverse band pivot shaft. Upon opening it up I found excessive wear all over. A check of specification clearances gave me no choice but to rebuild. In talking w/ other transmission builders, the modified Hell Cats are starting to press the 10 speeds limits. On summer nights you can here the Hell Cats drifting or doing donuts right on the RPM limit chip. A 3000.00+ transmission bill will soon be commonplace. You got to remember fast food workers now make 15.00 per hr. = 600.00 per wk.

What's going to happen when these 10 speed dual clutch start crapping the bed.
Torch the car and report it stolen?
Todays cars/trucks are far more disposable so when that happens you’ll just junk them and hopefully the last payment will have been made. :lol:

G'Day,
"detmatt"
In My Youth, (MANY Years Ago) I was an Avid Science Fiction Fan.
(Asimov, Heinlein, Zelazny, Miller Etc. Those were the Days, Wonderful Stories to a Young heart)
I Remember Reading a Story Where You Paid a Permanent Rental.
You Never owned a Car, What Happened was That if It Broke Down or
You Had a Prang They Would Give You a On the Spot Replacement.
Replace, Repair & Re-Supply to the next Customer.
Not a Terrible Idea if Cheap enough for a City Runabout.
But I can See Problems Amongst MOPAR Enthusiasts.
(Yeah, Over My Dead Body, Pal) LOL
Regards Tony.M

I just did a cable shift 727 for a member on here. We got started at around 9:30 with a trans freshly pulled from his car, so it was dirty. He rolled out around 6 or 7 in the afternoon, took a couple of breaks to look up the specs on the early 727 and the valve body exploded view.

We replaced all seals, a few bushings that were shot, clutches, bands, gaskets and took apart the valve body for cleaning. I did check all the specs but it really doesn't add that much time to a 727 build.

I had not done a cable shift in over 20 years so maybe a bit slower than the lever shift.

Years ago when I would do a 727 or 904 at least once every 6 months and my shop was set up for it I could do a basic rebuild in about 4 hours if the trans was clean. Add a couple hours if the guy wanted a shift kit. Add another hour if he wanted a bolt in sprag. If the planetary gearsets need to be rebuilt add another hour. So if your trans needs everything done and you want a shift kit installed 10 hours is about right.

If they charge you 10 hours for seals, clutches and bands and don't do the rest they are ripping you off. Ask them what the 10 hours of labor includes. Don't accept an answer like "its a complete rebuild". Ask does that include all bushings, planetary rebuilds? Stuff like that so the guy knows you know what goes into the rebuild and aren't just your average joe off the street, even if you are. lol

Back