I have a question about these cars

74newport

Reaction score
Iam just wandering how fast do you drive with these cars on the interstate, my wife likes her new suv because she said she can go 70 all day , and i told her the older cars could too. So i want to show her this post.

When I got my first 69 Polara I drove it 1400 miles home from Montana averaging 70+ on the highway.
This is a base car with a 318 and the ride was good, it is my favorite rode car.

2009-11-14_01.jpg

Alan

Funny you should ask, I pick my boy up from school in the afternoons. I have to get on the jersey turnpike to get there. It's a 20 mi ride one way. I probably average about 80 mph our up and back easy, no problem with my 383. Once or twice I kissed triple digits just to see what it was like. It was nice! 70-80mph is no problem.

Just make sure your tires aren't to old for the speeds and these cars will easily take the same thing your wife dishes out to her SUV.

I have driven for hours at a time at over 70 with every C body I ever owned. My current 65 Chrysler has cruised off and on at 90+ on these flat, straight ND highways. They will do the same as a modern car... just a few rpm higher due to less gears in the tranny.

I drive my 300 like I drive any other car. 75 to 80 MPH on the interstate is pretty typical.

These were BUILT for all-day running at 80+ turnpike cruising! Of course, they'll run all day at 80+mph...or 128 km/h, for you metric-types.

Thank you, i showed her she couldnt believe something this old could be just as good as her suv, i told her some of the trunks could haul just as much too.

Yup. I noticed that higher you get over 90mph, the smoother the ride gets...and once you starts getting close to triple digit zone the flowmasters REALLY start to make a racket back there,lol. Going though tunnels or underpasses is so sweet to listen to,LOL. I would advise that you have your front aligned and setup properly before going that fast, though.

And the 25 gallon in your gas tank form a swirl and you blow them away within 15 minutes?!

I think that's the difference to the modern cars...

The SUV in the start of the thread won't get good MPG at 132 either... or go 132MPH for that matter.

Back