Intake and Carb Shopping List Needed, 383

Gary, what are the part numbers for those HP manifolds?

For a B-Body.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-BIG-B...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ad54fd630

Mans.JPG

Mans2.jpg

Mans3.jpg

Well, Im digging up this thread cuz I think I may have finally made some progress....

I recently purchased an Edelbrock TM6 for a seemingly low price. So I figured I might as well start there.
Right now I've got my eye on a rebuilt Edelbrock 1406 as well. I've read a lot of different reviews as well as "use this, not that" sort of stuff and vice versa, so its seems like there is no correct choice except just to choose something!

I'm tired of messing around with my 2 barrel WWC and I feel like if I'm gonna pull it off again, I might as well bolt on something that ISN'T gonna leak or give me anymore hassle.

But, before I click "Buy It Now" on the 1406, i thought I'd better get some more input. I'm mostly concerned about hood clearance. The TM6 looks taller and I would like to use my stock air cleaner. But I've read that mine will have a smaller hole than what the 1406 will fit. My cleaner measures about 4.125" in diameter.

'67 Newport Sedan Base w/383 2bbl WWC.

Any more input would be great, thanks!

I have 1406's on my cars and have used about a dozen of them in the last 20 years on a lot cars. Ready to go right out of the box and never had a problem.

ive got a used one right here for ya $125 + shipping to your front door.

lemmie know.

- saylor

+ yes - the 2bbl and 4bbl neck should be different size. I'm pretty sure. I don't think the stock 2bbl cleaner fits - I didn't even try with mine I just set it aside.

I have a mr. G top for it, another $20 bucks and ill put it in the box.

ive got a used one right here for ya $125 + shipping to your front door.

lemmie know.

- saylor

+ yes - the 2bbl and 4bbl neck should be different size. I'm pretty sure. I don't think the stock 2bbl cleaner fits - I didn't even try with mine I just set it aside.

I have a mr. G top for it, another $20 bucks and ill put it in the box.
Sounds like a great deal! Can you post a pic of it?

Edelbrock performer intake manifold for low deck B series engine not 440, Edelbrock thunder series carburetor, the performer is okay I just like the thunder series because the secondaries are easier to adjust with the spring loaded air door rather than counterweights almost impossible to over carb with this one. A new valley pan, your choice to block off heat crossover or not, a tube of black rtv for end rails and corners up onto head, I use permatex high tack gasket sealant around ports and intake to head surfaces no paper, use thread sealer on intake bolts. When you order carb also order Chrysler throttle arm adapter for kickdown linkage and I think there is a extender to use for kickdown linkage from 2bbl to 4bbl.

What he said.....no really that's exactly what I am doing and have done with great results!

I'd try to locate a nice set of Hi-po big block exhaust manifolds in addition to all the above stuff. Your 383 will breath better with those than the stock logs which are nothing but sharp angles. The big block hi-po manifolds are beautifully designed and act almost like headers.

Or

stick with the 2bbl and be happy.

Find those 440/383 BB hp manifolds....

Gary, what are the part numbers for those HP manifolds?

I dont know why all you guys get a hard on for HP manifolds. They arent worth the effort. Leave them for the numbers matching resto guys.

An Error Has Occurred!

First post is dyno results vs. log manifolds

Expensive, hard to find, pain in the *** to install and then you gotta redo the headpipes since the outlets are different than your stock log manifolds. All so you can gain 4hp?

And you will probably break at least 1 rusty old heat cycled brittle exhaust manifold stud off in the head in the process.

Yeah know, you're right. 383 iz 'bout 1" narrower across the valley. Missed that detail on the #1 post but then I waz rememberin' all the timez I played with the Cross Ramz. I'll go back under the porch now lol, Jer
I probably wouldn't have caught it if I hadn't just put a 1215 on my 440.

I'm gonna pass on any exhaust upgrades for now. My carb has been giving me alot of hassle so I want to focus on that. Plus, my valve covers still leak and there is a pool of oil on the valley pan. So I hope I can cure some of that in the process. Ive had the valve covers off two or three times now. This time I sealed the gaskets to the valve cover itself, but still leaks. I can see oil coming up and collecting around the valve cover bolts, then from there it drips down on the block. Not sure how it gets on the valley pan.

Also, I've had the carb apart a few times, rebuilt, regasketed and still leaks and doesnt start worht a crap, even more so now thats its 10-20 degrees colder out. So Id just like to be done with it.

#1214 added to my list. Anything else??

Lastly, any opinions on the TM6?? even though its almost to my doorstep...

I dont know why all you guys get a hard on for HP manifolds. They arent worth the effort. Leave them for the numbers matching resto guys.

An Error Has Occurred!

First post is dyno results vs. log manifolds

Expensive, hard to find, pain in the *** to install and then you gotta redo the headpipes since the outlets are different than your stock log manifolds. All so you can gain 4hp?

And you will probably break at least 1 rusty old heat cycled brittle exhaust manifold stud off in the head in the process.

Whatever

I guess mother Mopar just spent extra money casting, managing inventory, and putting them on the HP cars for years for no good reason and the engineers were all too lazy and didn't have the intelligence or gumption to tell the powers that be that they were a worthless waste of money.

Whatever

I guess mother Mopar just spent extra money casting, managing inventory, and putting them on the HP cars for years for no good reason and the engineers were all too lazy and didn't have the intelligence or gumption to tell the powers that be that they were a worthless waste of money.

I know the OP has a 383, but lets check out the differences in 440 engines available in 1970. Two 4bbl versions you could get were the 350 horse (standard) and 375 horse (high performance).

The HP motor got several upgrades that added up to a difference of 25 horsepower.

HP exhaust manifolds vs standard

Better Cam and Valvesprings- Lift .450"/.458"Duration 268*/284*Overlap .... 46* (hp) vs
Lift .425"/.437"Duration 256*/260*Overlap 32* (standard)
HP engines got a windage tray, vs none on standard 440

HP dual exhaust had 2.5 inch primary pipes with a crossover and 2.25 tail.
Standard duals had 2.25 all the way back and no crossover.

HP distributors had better timing curves than the standard 440.

How much of that 25 total horsepower difference should be attributed to the exhaust manifolds in your opinion? I think the cam makes the biggest difference personally.

But like you said, "Whatever."

I trust back to back dyno tests more than opinions.

I have to agree about logs vs hp manifolds, not worth the aggravation and $$$$. If you are going to make a exhaust change put 2.5" or 2.25" min on head pipes and run them through a X right around the end of the trans. If muffler shop tells you you can't get anything bigger than 2" at manifold go find another shop, the one you are at is lazy, and don't give me that BS about bolts too close together, again lazy shop go find one that has a craftsman at work not a brain dead parts changer.

I know the OP has a 383, but lets check out the differences in 440 engines available in 1970. Two 4bbl versions you could get were the 350 horse (standard) and 375 horse (high performance).

The HP motor got several upgrades that added up to a difference of 25 horsepower.

HP exhaust manifolds vs standard

Better Cam and Valvesprings- Lift .450"/.458"Duration 268*/284*Overlap .... 46* (hp) vs
HP engines got a windage tray, vs none on standard 440

HP dual exhaust had 2.5 inch primary pipes with a crossover and 2.25 tail.
Standard duals had 2.25 all the way back and no crossover.

HP distributors had better timing curves than the standard 440.

How much of that 25 total horsepower difference should be attributed to the exhaust manifolds in your opinion? I think the cam makes the biggest difference personally.

But like you said, "Whatever."

I trust back to back dyno tests more than opinions.

Go read you dyno sheets then. While you were showing off all the "knowledge" you have typing out or pasting that list, that most of us know all to well, that just perhaps, not all those changes were intended to add power? That some may have been for other reasons such as to enable the power adders to make the power and that all were needed to enable the package to work as intended and produce that 25 HP that shows up on your dyno tests ?

perhaps

HP exhaust manifolds vs standard - enabler

Better Cam and Valvesprings- Lift .450"/.458"Duration 268*/284*Overlap .... 46* (hp) vs - power adder

HP engines got a windage tray, vs none on standard 440 - safety / durability

HP dual exhaust had 2.5 inch primary pipes with a crossover and 2.25 tail. - enabler
Standard duals had 2.25 all the way back and no crossover. - enabler

HP distributors had better timing curves than the standard 440. - power adder / enabler

oh and you also forgot to mention the carb - power adder / enabler and the unrestricted or less restrictive air cleaner - enabler

but you are correct .. all this is just my opinion and I'm entitled to have it like everyone else here ... to have their own opinions based on their knowledge and experience.

So quit calling others foolish or wrong or making fun of them for having differing views and put fourth your own opinions, knowledge, and ideas w/o having to put someone else's down. If you can

hey -

you sure the difference between the fel - pro 1214 and 1215 is motor size? I thought the difference was if the heat riser was blocked off or not - on the pan itself.

hey -

you sure the difference between the fel - pro 1214 and 1215 is motor size? I thought the difference was if the heat riser was blocked off or not - on the pan itself.
I looked them up on Summit's website. The part numbers for valley pans with crossovers are MS96000 for RB and MS96007 for B motors

Back