Intake and Carb Shopping List Needed, 383

OneEyed

Reaction score
I want to start acquiring the parts that I'll need to upgrade my intake and carb for a summer project. Right now i have a stock 383 with 2 barrel. I'm not looking for racing performance or car show appearance but I would like more power when I floor it. I plan on having dual exhaust done sometime soon then I would like to get started on this. I would like to have all the parts on hand rather than my current process of tearing something apart and driving to parts store back and forth several times to get the right parts. Ideally I'd like a carb that's easy to setup and doesn't require a lot of attention afterwards. So if you guys would like to help with recommendations so I can get a list together that would be great!

Edelbrock performer intake manifold for low deck B series engine not 440, Edelbrock thunder series carburetor, the performer is okay I just like the thunder series because the secondaries are easier to adjust with the spring loaded air door rather than counterweights almost impossible to over carb with this one. A new valley pan, your choice to block off heat crossover or not, a tube of black rtv for end rails and corners up onto head, I use permatex high tack gasket sealant around ports and intake to head surfaces no paper, use thread sealer on intake bolts. When you order carb also order Chrysler throttle arm adapter for kickdown linkage and I think there is a extender to use for kickdown linkage from 2bbl to 4bbl.

I'll be the counter point.
Put on a new correct 2bbl. Period.
Will run like an electric motor and acceleration from a stop light is excellent.
A 383/275 is the Rock of Gibralta.

Next......

I like the 4bbls myself. I don't think I'd block the crossover, or go fancy with anything. I'd recommend any stock post'67 383 4bbl intake, an Edelbrock Thunder AVS of 650cfm, and a small camshaft and matching valve springs to take advantage of the 4bbl and duals. Whether it be a stock 383/335 cam, or something more modern like the XE256 - you'll be happy with the punch.

I'd try to locate a nice set of Hi-po big block exhaust manifolds in addition to all the above stuff. Your 383 will breath better with those than the stock logs which are nothing but sharp angles. The big block hi-po manifolds are beautifully designed and act almost like headers.

Or

stick with the 2bbl and be happy.

Eddie Performer 2186 intake and a Eddie 1406 carb with an electric choke.

Right now I have a 2 barrel Bendix Stromberg WWC carb. Would I gain anything by upgrading to a better 2 barrel or since I'm going that far should I just go 4 barrel and intake as well? I'll see about exhaust manifolds when I have the duals put on.

So aside from carb, intake, throttle arm adapter and extender, valley pan and RTV....what else would I need?

Also, is there a step by step process online or something i can refer too? This is all pretty new to me and honestly I don't even know what some of the parts are that have been mentioned above...does anyone think I'm taking on too much? I feel like an idiot for asking so many questions here, but how else do I learn, right?:sSig_noob:

If you go with an Eddie manifold & carb....use the 2932 carb adapter plate that comes with the manifold. You might need a 1/2" spacer adapter on top of the carb depending on the air cleaner that you use....it might hit the electric choke housing. Get a new valley pan.

i'd try to locate a nice set of hi-po big block exhaust manifolds in addition to all the above stuff. Your 383 will breath better with those than the stock logs which are nothing but sharp angles. The big block hi-po manifolds are beautifully designed and act almost like headers.

yes

OP - no - the idiots are the ones that post after they bought the wrong stuff and got over their heads...lol. "No stupid questions".
You'll need what you listed and there will be some tuning and transmission tweaking to be done after assuming you go with an aftermarket intake manifold. You will need to reset the kickdown linkage, reset the timing (lots of tweaks there if you want to take the time), maybe replace the steel fuel line depending on if it lands right on the new carb. It's pretty basic stuff. If you don't have an idea how to, and don;t want to either buy a book or learn, is there a hot rod shop local to you to do the labor?

It's all pretty basic stuff you can do yourself in one afternoon.

I agree with 1978 NYB. Just take your time, do a little research if you have a question or post it here if you run into an issue while doing the upgrade. To honest, I would go with the Performer and a 650 Holley. Put a set of good headers on it and a good exhaust system. 2 1/2 or 3" exhaust. I would go with a 3" exhaust for future upgrades if you plan to do that. Ultra Flo mufflers. Then enjoy it..!!

I'm pretty sure Edlebrock has a couple of "How To" video's on their website. Just take your time and do a little research like 66SportFury said and you'll have her done in no time.

A side note: I've used Eddie and Holley carbs are many projects and I had pretty good luck most of the time and they ran GREAT right out of the box without making any adjustments.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/misc/tech-center/

I hear ya 1978 NYB, Ive always used Holley's on all my projects. Just use to them I guess. I'm running an 850HP on mine with the RPM. Talk about response!! We had to tune it a bit, but after that...Wow!!

OneEyed, just jump in take your time and you'll be fine. It's really the only way you'll learn. Taking pictures of before is always a good thing too!! Oh and after and post them!! We like pictures.

Back