Is it possible to have a reliable 4-500HP Street car

mag162

Reaction score
Was wondering if it’s possible to build or buy a motor like this. And if so where can I get one.
My wagon has a stock 383 in it now. I don’t care about originality really. I want a reliable street car with 4-500 HP

If the engine is built correctly, reliability should not be a problem. BUT driveability CAN be. As might be fuel costs when gasoline of adequate octane WILL increase in the future. If you desire to mimic the current 500 horsepower street motors, then you'll spend a lot on computerized controls for fuel and such. Check the price of "crate motors" to get an idea of what they're going for, at those power levels, too. Nothing's "cheap" in that orientations.

There's a segment on "Nick's Garage" where he dynos a rebuilt 440/375 and it hits that power level. Getting it to 400+ horsepower might take a few more tweaks, I suspect. Street Hemi 282/284 cam (or similar), some head porting, better intake manifold, a little bigger carb, etc. Plus appropriate-sized exhaust.

Just remember that the more cam, the "more gear in the rear" that you'll need. Plus a little looser torque converters so it'll idle decently at about 750rpm.

With appropriate clutch material upgrades in the automatic trans, or a better clutch mechanism if it's a manual trans.

It's always more fun when you can have fun and nothing breaks! RESPONSIVE power at lower power levels can be more fun than having a total horsepower number to "mention" at car gatherings! A properly set-up chassis can make a lower-powered car outrun a higher powered car, too. Nobody really knows what a '500 horsepower motor" looks like, as most of the things that make that power are hidden internally, anyway. Unless, of course, if it is a 426 HEMI or similar.

CBODY67

If the engine is built correctly, reliability should not be a problem. BUT driveability CAN be. As might be fuel costs when gasoline of adequate octane WILL increase in the future. If you desire to mimic the current 500 horsepower street motors, then you'll spend a lot on computerized controls for fuel and such. Check the price of "crate motors" to get an idea of what they're going for, at those power levels, too. Nothing's "cheap" in that orientations.

There's a segment on "Nick's Garage" where he dynos a rebuilt 440/375 and it hits that power level. Getting it to 400+ horsepower might take a few more tweaks, I suspect. Street Hemi 282/284 cam (or similar), some head porting, better intake manifold, a little bigger carb, etc. Plus appropriate-sized exhaust.

Just remember that the more cam, the "more gear in the rear" that you'll need. Plus a little looser torque converters so it'll idle decently at about 750rpm.

With appropriate clutch material upgrades in the automatic trans, or a better clutch mechanism if it's a manual trans.

It's always more fun when you can have fun and nothing breaks! RESPONSIVE power at lower power levels can be more fun than having a total horsepower number to "mention" at car gatherings! A properly set-up chassis can make a lower-powered car outrun a higher powered car, too. Nobody really knows what a '500 horsepower motor" looks like, as most of the things that make that power are hidden internally, anyway. Unless, of course, if it is a 426 HEMI or similar.

CBODY67
Bob, You forgot to mention that he will need ah gas station that sellz "TURBO BLUE" that he never getz more then an hour away from! Or become very friendly with the guy that haz the keys to the AV-GAS pump at the municipal air port in hiz community, Jer

If you're willing to build a 500" engine, which really doesn't cost more then a rebuild where you need a few hard parts then it's a piece of cake. A 1hp/cu in stroker will be very mild, good vacuum. Mpg night even be better than a 440 with a slobbery cam, on pump gas

No replacement for displacement.

My 8.97:1 493 does it on 87 regular. 500hp @ 5300 and 600 ft/lbs @ 4000.

It has an MP509 cam with a 108 LSA which I wouldn't do again for its particular application. It makes lots of torque from off idle on but the 1100 rpm idle beats the drive line going from P to D so I installed a 2800 converter and all is well in that department.

It will likely get something with more lift, a little less duration and a 112-114 LSA when it gets re-homed.

Kevin

The 700+hp GM, Ford, and Chrysler engines for sale today can be beat on unmercifully all day long, and still idle like a Lexus at the stop light.
Think about that.

Last edited:
Mag162, the answer is yes, especially if you spend your money on high quality parts. Your best bet would be to build a pump gas stroker. I had a 520" stroked 440 built for one of my 68 Sport Furys. Not sure where in New York you are located but I am in Central Connecticut and would be happy to take you for a ride and talk about my set up and costs outside of this forum.

Bill

The 700+hp GM, Ford, and Chrysler engines for sale today can be beat on unmercifully all day long, and still idle like a Lexus at the stop light.
Think about that.

Sure and add all the computer **** and sensors to deal with it. BS.
Then let's see your old car deal with 700 hp.
What is it you want from your car? Nice idle and power brakes? What time slips? Highway or 1/4 mile,, street racing.? Low end or high end? I would like to know what you want from your car.
I am amazed no one asked you what specifically you want your car to do.

Last edited:
Sure and add all the computer **** and sensors to deal with it. BS.
Then let's see your old car deal with 700 hp.
What is it you want from your car? Nice idle and power brakes? What time slips? Highway or 1/4 mile,, street racing.? Low end or high end? I would like to know what you want from your car.
I am amazed no one asked you what specifically you want your car to do.

He has a wagon and he wants 4-500 reliable horsepower for a street car.

A 4.25" stroker 440 at 505 cubes with some Trickflow 240 heads will do that standing on its head with a power brake, stock converter friendly camshaft on 87 regular.

Kevin

Quote:::: He has a wagon and he wants 4-500 reliable horsepower for a street car. Quote

To do what specifically?
He never said what he wants and in my mind that makes a big difference.

Last edited:
Mag162, the answer is yes, especially if you spend your money on high quality parts. Your best bet would be to build a pump gas stroker. I had a 520" stroked 440 built for one of my 68 Sport Furys. Not sure where in New York you are located but I am in Central Connecticut and would be happy to take you for a ride and talk about my set up and costs outside of this forum.

Bill
I’m on LI and would love to come up one weekend and check out your ride and pick your brain a bit.

Quote:::: He has a wagon and he wants 4-500 reliable horsepower for a street car. Quote

To do what specifically?
He never said what he wants and in my mind that makes a big difference.
A reliable street-able pump gas fast Wagon is why I’m looking for.

Well my dream would be a big stroker over 500 ci with relatively low compression that would give gobs of torque for my 69 Fury III with my 3.23 rear end so I can also hit the highway and with lowish compression can feed her anything available.

I’m on LI and would love to come up one weekend and check out your ride and pick your brain a bit.

Take a look at your calendar and let's see if we can find a weekend day that works for both of us. Send me a PM.

A reliable street-able pump gas fast Wagon is why I’m looking for.
What you are looking for is called the 500/500.
It's a BB bored and stroked to 500 in. with a street/strip cam, intake and 750+ cfm 4bbl of your choice.
The cam you choose to get that 500hp will be too lumpy for a stock torque converter so the TC will have to be upgraded. For that, the tranny has to be dropped so rebuild the tranny to HD spec.
Of course you are generating
a ton of heat now so new radiator and cooling system of course. Hell, don't forget the true dual 2-1/2 inch exhaust system properly hung which I rarely see cuz nobody understands how to properly design and hang a system.
DIY can be done for 6-8 grand. Since you didn't know how to do it I'm assuming you need it done for you so you're over 10 grand easily. How about 12?
You ain't gonna do it...

What you are looking for is called the 500/500.
It's a BB bored and stroked to 500 in. with a street/strip cam, intake and 750+ cfm 4bbl of your choice.
The cam you choose to get that 500hp will be too lumpy for a stock torque converter so the TC will have to be upgraded. For that, the tranny has to be dropped so rebuild the tranny to HD spec.
Of course you are generating
a ton of heat now so new radiator and cooling system of course. Hell, don't forget the true dual 2-1/2 inch exhaust system properly hung which I rarely see cuz nobody understands how to properly design and hang a system.
DIY can be done for 6-8 grand. Since you didn't know how to do it I'm assuming you need it done for you so you're over 10 grand easily. How about 12?
You ain't gonna do it...
What makes you say I aint gonna do it?

20180825_132836.jpg
Mine runs on 92 octane .

Back