Is it possible to have a reliable 4-500HP Street car

IMHO, 400 horsepower is pretty achievable and can be done without too much craziness. 500... Yea, can be done, but it costs more to do initially and to maintain. You also might get sick of it faster when you have a more temperamental car that you have to wrench on more and it's finicky about gas, drinks deep at the gas pump, and how you drive it etc.

Again, IMHO, you want to build an engine with torque... Lots of it. You have a heavy car and you need torque to get the weight moving. That means cubic inches. Start with a 440 block and a stroker crank and get it to 500 cubic inches. Then you want to look at matching the rest of the "package" to the engine. Camshaft, torque converter, rear ratio etc. all has to be figured to whatever configuration your car is.

So.... It's all about how deep your wallet is and how much you can do yourself. There are a lot of good engine builders out there, and a few that are good with Mopars (where are you in NY?).

Again, IMHO, you might want to really think about exactly what you want... Want a car that's reliable and you don't have to go too crazy? A nice, fairly stock 440 with dual exhaust (no headers), maybe change the intake and a good Eddy carb. 3.23 or 3.55 gears in the rear and that gives you a pretty respectable package. It won't break the bank and you can run it on pump gas. Want a little more? Look at a stroker kit. Again, no headers and that should make 400 hp easily and still be fun to drive.

It all sounds like fun until you realize that it isn't cheap or easy.

It can be easy but not cheap. :thumbsup:

And why do C body owners hate headers so much? Instant power with little downside. Yes it is a little harder to install the engine but most people aren't doing that routinely...:poke:

IMHO, 400 horsepower is pretty achievable and can be done without too much craziness. 500... Yea, can be done, but it costs more to do initially and to maintain. You also might get sick of it faster when you have a more temperamental car that you have to wrench on more and it's finicky about gas, drinks deep at the gas pump, and how you drive it etc.

Again, IMHO, you want to build an engine with torque... Lots of it. You have a heavy car and you need torque to get the weight moving. That means cubic inches. Start with a 440 block and a stroker crank and get it to 500 cubic inches. Then you want to look at matching the rest of the "package" to the engine. Camshaft, torque converter, rear ratio etc. all has to be figured to whatever configuration your car is.

So.... It's all about how deep your wallet is and how much you can do yourself. There are a lot of good engine builders out there, and a few that are good with Mopars (where are you in NY?).

Again, IMHO, you might want to really think about exactly what you want... Want a car that's reliable and you don't have to go too crazy? A nice, fairly stock 440 with dual exhaust (no headers), maybe change the intake and a good Eddy carb. 3.23 or 3.55 gears in the rear and that gives you a pretty respectable package. It won't break the bank and you can run it on pump gas. Want a little more? Look at a stroker kit. Again, no headers and that should make 400 hp easily and still be fun to drive.

It all sounds like fun until you realize that it isn't cheap or easy.
Im on LI, I know it wont be cheap but I've been squirreling away a little each week and I'm starting to plan my winter upgrades

What makes you say I aint gonna do it?
99 out 100 guys ask how to do it end up not doing it or doing something else. Going strictly by past postings and observattions, nothing against you personally.
I would love to see you do it and I hope you're the 1 out of the 100 that does do it. Best of luck.

It can be easy but not cheap. :thumbsup:

And why do C body owners hate headers so much? Instant power with little downside. Yes it is a little harder to install the engine but most people aren't doing that routinely...:poke:
"Instant power with little downside"
Bull puckey.
I'm tired of always explaining the whys and wherefores of the waste of money headers are on a street machine so I will just leave it with that I disagree.

This myth about headers being so freakin awesome needs to be busted once and for all but unfortunately there will always be fools that are eager to blow money.

if you were local to them it'd be interesting to go talk to them. pricing isn't terrible if you aren't providing any hard parts and it's not put together with cast cranks, iron rings, etc.

Yea I think the OP is just getting his toes wet with the idea. As mentioned, he would probably be using a garage for the install, maybe a $1500ish job to swap engines. Then you have to add exhaust on to that.
Also as Stan mentioned, have to upgrade the fuel and cooling system.

My old 440 was probably high 400 horse, I drove that thing all over, as I do with the stroker, closer to 600 hp.

So far so good, no problems at all.

So just for discussion, what would make a 500hp engine less dependable than a stock mill?

Without upgrades, I would think, harder starting because of a wilder cam, overheating if you don't bump up your cooling system.

Anything else?

if you were local to them it'd be interesting to go talk to them. pricing isn't terrible if you aren't providing any hard parts and it's not put together with cast cranks, iron rings, etc.

This is $8500 as it sits from CME.......

20180728_081029.jpg

20180728_081014.jpg

Back