Just bought an EFI

Knebel

Reaction score
Just ordered an EFI set :thumbsup:. Decided that if anything is available under $1300, ill do the swap. Have heared nothing but good about them even tho they are pretty new on the market. Only 5 wires to connect and can use the low pressure pump I already have.

Its got 3 weeks backorder, but i am excited. Should be pretty simple to install!

PAC-30003-FC - 400HP Carb Swap EFI Master Package with Fuel Command System.

Whatch all think of it?

When I heard about this EFI, I put it on my "maybe I should get one" list. I'm always leery of new companies starting out, but they're selling these EFI's like crazy. Using OEM injectors, sensors, etc is a definite plus.

I am glad to see all these systems coming down in price, with all the manufactures using EFI the price should come down.

Thank you for being the guinea pig... I am interested in general how these work out, but I don't see me ever doing it. I suppose if the fuels get worse...

Please keep us informed.

That looks pretty promising for the price. Might have to pick one up myself down the road.

Im concerned about the "being the guinea pig" but i dont think there will be much of an issue. Hope it will work as promised!

FiTech gets good reviews on Moparts. John Kunkel and some others over there are running it with good results.

That remote fuel tank while a little spendy makes for a painless fuel system.

Kevin

I just looked at both of these systems a little more thoroughly than before. As far as I could tell, both brands are offering a TBI replacement for a carburetor. Simple, basic, might get a little better fuel economy with the wide band, but I don't think either would get you anywhere careful carb tuning couldn't. If you want an electric cooling fan both seem to be able to act as your controller.

I don't feel TBI is really any better than a carburetor except when looking to fine tune for emissions (which is why the factories used them). I would like the idea of integrated fuel and timing controls, which I saw in the FITech system... except, I saw no knock sensor provision. I didn't see one in the MSD 6AL either. Forgive me and please correct me if there is a way to incorporate a knock sensor. To me the best results from this kind of upgrade would allow for a minor compression bump, fuel quality protection and/or leaner running and pushed timing protection.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with either system mentioned, but they both seem to just take the tuning a carb aspect out of the equation, not really offer anything new performance wise. I didn't notice, probably because it is not my focus, but neither system seemed to offer data logging, which is the tuning info a racer would be interested in.

The 2 most important missing pieces for a street car are no CARB EO or SEMA code was noticeable for either system and no mention of any ethanol resistance. If this was emissions legal, had a CARB EO#, it would be a solution for those who have factory fuel delivery system issues in IM testing areas. If this made your car more able to operate E15 fuel, it would be a win too... I don't see it and aluminum (TB) isn't ethanol friendly. I don't see where this would be much different than a carb as far as ethanol is concerned.

I don't mean to bash the system's and there are lots of interested folks, especially those who hate carb maintenance/tuning... I just don't see the things that would turn me on here.

Interesting....hopefully tech support will be helpful in case of trouble.The reviews at Summit are pretty strong for what that's worth. I agree on TBI, too bad an affordable MPFI system isn't yet available.

I mainly bought it for the automatic tuneability and maybe some better mpg and throttle response. My engine is a little on the weird side with the vacuum levels and I constantly have to tinker with my holley depending on the weather. Im just tired of it and would like to get in the car and have it idle/run on the same afr every time i start it.FItech has tons of different systems, some include timing control, some dont, some have data logging some dont. I just went for the cheapest simplest to get away from the carb. Dont need timing control, I rather keep em seperated.

My holley is pretty well tuned and has annular boosters, I just have some AFR quirks I am not able to tune out which are mostly vacuum related. Hope that the efi can handle that better and adjust accordingly.

Awesome! I've been considering this or new Trick Flow heads for the Moose. Tell us how it works.

I have repaired and tuned carbs since I was a teenager, but I love a good running EFI system. This is my job so I have a good handle on EFI. I can understand how some can be overwhelmed when it comes to the computer controlled systems. I normally go with the KISS philosophy(keep it simple stupid) but I like the upgrade of EFI just not the price.

I've used the Fast EZ efi kit. And I've recently purchased a Fitech kit and am in the midst of an install on my girlfriends 66 Windsor.

I will tell you all right now that these self learning kits are 100% night and day better over any carburetor. They are not kinda sorta ok better. I'm talking get in turn the key start and go like a new car. No surging, no stalling, no hi idle chokes to deal with. These kits control the electric fan and fuel pump and no fuel pressure regulator is needed. No drama and pretty simple to install. If you try to install one of these and can't figure it out then you probably shouldn't be turning any wrenches on your car whatsoever.

I build/restore musclecars/hot rods for a living. I'm talking from years of experience here. Do not listen to all these other guys speculating and what if's. If and when people have problems with these kits it's due to user installation error.

I will strongly recommend against using the "Command center" unit. They are not perfect and have issues. Build a proper fuel system with a proper electric fuel pump and feed and return lines.

DO buy Fitech's #40005 fuel delivery kit. DO NOT buy the command center.

It's also funny how people cry about how much fuel injection costs but go and spend thousands on tacky wheels and chrome ****. Fitech is $795 - $1095 plus $245 for the fuel system. Plus they have a rebate on now. That is a deal considering the world of difference these make in driveability.

I've used the Fast EZ efi kit. And I've recently purchased a Fitech kit and am in the midst of an install on my girlfriends 66 Windsor.

I will tell you all right now that these self learning kits are 100% night and day better over any carburetor. They are not kinda sorta ok better. I'm talking get in turn the key start and go like a new car. No surging, no stalling, no hi idle chokes to deal with. These kits control the electric fan and fuel pump and no fuel pressure regulator is needed. No drama and pretty simple to install. If you try to install one of these and can't figure it out then you probably shouldn't be turning any wrenches on your car whatsoever.

I build/restore musclecars/hot rods for a living. I'm talking from years of experience here. Do not listen to all these other guys speculating and what if's. If and when people have problems with these kits it's due to user installation error.

I will strongly recommend against using the "Command center" unit. They are not perfect and have issues. Build a proper fuel system with a proper electric fuel pump and feed and return lines.

DO buy Fitech's #40005 fuel delivery kit. DO NOT buy the command center.

It's also funny how people cry about how much fuel injection costs but go and spend thousands on tacky wheels and chrome ****. Fitech is $795 - $1095 plus $245 for the fuel system. Plus they have a rebate on now. That is a deal considering the world of difference these make in driveability.

I've been researching, and reading quite a bit about this kit, and loving it. Deff will be buying one.

What don't you like about the command center? I just installed all new original fuel system, and want to keep it. Granted adding and electric pump next to the tank wouldn't be hard at all. The command center just seems more my route.

How do you feel about using this system for breaking in a engine? I.E. start up, and take it to 2500 rpm right out the gate. I was thinking yank the carb off the other car for break in. Plus no exhaust to run the sensor..

The command centre is problematic. Edelbrock also makes one. People have issues with them. It's an ok setup but not ideal. I build all my fuel systems with an intank electric fuel pump and a full return and they work flawlessly. Although I will be running a Bosch external pump on the gf Windsor due to logistics of the project. Which is the same pump Fitech supplies.

At the end of the day it's your money and I can only tell you what I know from experience.

Here is the Fitech mocked up on the 383 I built. Will be dropping it all in this weekend.

DSC_0374.JPG

The command centre is problematic. Edelbrock also makes one. People have issues with them. It's an ok setup but not ideal. I build all my fuel systems with an intank electric fuel pump and a full return and they work flawlessly. Although I will be running a Bosch external pump on the gf Windsor due to logistics of the project. Which is the same pump Fitech supplies.

At the end of the day it's your money and I can only tell you what I know from experience.

Appreciate it! Think I'll go the command center route. Just spent a crap load of dough, and installed new tank, sending unit, lines, and what not. Don't really want to redo any of it if ya know what I mean lol.

Here is the Fitech mocked up on the 383 I built. Will be dropping it all in this weekend.

Looks great! Are you planning on letting the Fitech control the timing, or another ignition box?

For sure let us know how it turns out!

Appreciate it! Think I'll go the command center route. Just spent a crap load of dough, and installed new tank, sending unit, lines, and what not. Don't really want to redo any of it if ya know what I mean lol.

Looks great! Are you planning on letting the Fitech control the timing, or another ignition box?

For sure let us know how it turns out!

If you haven't bought the command centre yet you need to realize it costs more than the other kit they offer. Plus you need to add fuel lines to hook all that up the command centre. Technically you'll be saving money by taking out what you put in. Which probably didn't cost very much as is. Also that 40005 kit is a bargain as the pump and large filter alone is worth over 200 bucks.

Yes I am running a locked out MSD distributor and a 6AL box in order for the Fitech to control the timing. Will see how that works.

Also I recommend finishing your exhaust with o2 sensor and doing the break in with the kit. I learnt a long time ago that trying to break a motor in with open headers is a bad idea. It's so loud you can't hear if somethings off or wrong. Whether it be misadjusted rockers or a rod knock or detonation or anything potentially disastrous.

Sounds like you have a new motor so I'll highly recommend a proper break in oil like Joe Gibbs BR or Brad Penn or Royal Purple.

I know of two issues, well 3 so far. The floar on the command center used to get stuck on earlier runs, they have fixed that by now. The supplied high pressure line used to burst, they have also fixed that and supply a russle brand line. Then with the tune, if there is an hesitation, you have to adjust the throttle stop to get the iac between 6 and 10. Thats the only things i could find.

Back