Just My Luck

streetmachine

Reaction score
Well, I got the bad news today. I'm taking the wife's car in for second opinion but, I believe my wife's HHR is done for. I took it to the local Chevy dealer and they believe the transmission maybe done for. We're certain the converter is done for. It is doing the surging between 45-50 mph which is apparently typical of the transmissions although I can't complain we payed $12k for the car new and it has around 150k miles. The dealer wants $3500 to install a reman transmission and torque converter. This is includes labor, tax, etc.

I could go get a used transmission and reman converter but, the book says 10hrs to remove and reinstall the trans. So, the cheapest shop I know of would be $75.00 per hour x 10 on labor is at least $750 for labor. I've seen used transmission between $400-$600. A converter would be another $200-300 and still I'm taking a risk at that point not knowing if the transmission or the solenoids are any count. So, it's a tough call but, looks like the wife will potentially be getting a new car. As bad as I hate to I think we will shoot for a Dart and the only reason we need a new car for her is because she drives 83 miles a day round trip just to work. Not to include any outside activities. So, some of the money I had set aside since my truck hasn't sold is gone but, that's life I guess.

Well, that sucks a big one. You're not Alone though. I'm sure every one of us has been there. Look at it this way, that car owes you nothing and you did well by it.

PS: that is the major reason I avoid FWD at all cost.

Posted via Topify on Android

I agree, I really hoping we could get this car to 200k but, I'm not sure. Other than the crappy 4T45E transmission it's been a great car for the money. The problem is in the past two years let's see; $1k to replace three of the transmission shift solenoids, $1k to replace all 4 door lock actuators and now potentially a transmission and converter. Oh yeah, I can't forget about the ignition switch issue (huge recall) and yes we've had it lock and shut the car off while driving.

Well, that sucks a big one. You're not Alone though. I'm sure every one of us has been there. Look at it this way, that car owes you nothing and you did well by it.

PS: that is the major reason I avoid FWD at all cost.

Stan I definitely agree. It has been a great car and much better than a PT Cruiser IMO. Are mpg average is usually 28-30 mpg mixed driving with the 2.2L Ecotec. The problem like you said is they're not easy to work on. I know to change the headlight bulb the front wheel has to be turned a certain way to remove the access panel and then you have to feel for it to change it.

Vehicles can be a money pit. At a certain point keeping a high mileage car on on the road can be more expensive than payments on a new car. In my case I'm challenged to work on my old C Bodies. I'm completely hopeless working on the newer cars. My wife got a 2013 Charger 3.6 and is very happy with it. Good mileage and it boogies nicely for a 6.

Vehicles can be a money pit. At a certain point keeping a high mileage car on on the road can be more expensive than payments on a new car. In my case I'm challenged to work on my old C Bodies. I'm completely hopeless working on the newer cars. My wife got a 2013 Charger 3.6 and is very happy with it. Good mileage and it boogies nicely for a 6.

My fear is that her will quit on her and part of her route is in the middle of nowhere. We would love to have a Charger but, being she drives quite extensively I think we'll keep it to a cheaper car because of the mileage. We're thinking of a Dart just because I figure we give FCA a try. I actually like the Focus for an econo car but, the automatics in those are problematic according to the forums I've been on and personal experience with several rental Focus's we've had. During the recall, GM gave us a 2014 Sonic to drive and that was a nice car but, a little small and under powered.

You're point is exactly why I like old cars even at my young age of 34 years. I've daily drove a 383 Challenger, 79 LRE, a 90 Dakota Convertible. Actually my current daily is a 2004 Ram and it's simply enough to work on for me. I don't know how the knew trucks are or how much difference there is. The only thing that drives me nuts on the newer stuff is all the electronics. Especially when the manufacturer uses cheap sensors.

Ellie loves her 05 Mustang convertible. The 6 cyl allows 25-27 MPG, rear wheel drive, I can work on it, and best of all .... Made in the USA by an American company. It's coming up on 150K now and still looks and runs like new, never any serious issues, (might need a new top soon).

Along with consideration of the Dart, I would also take a good look at the new Chrysler 200 - getting good reviews and it finally has world class build quality with an almost totally new plant. FCA really wants to break into the Camry, Accord, Fusion territory with a real game changer, so they put everything into this car that they had. You can get the really nice 3.6 V6 with a 9 speed automatic (a ZF design with a reputation for being the best transmission company in the world) or slightly more economical 4 cylinder. Resale value would be better than the Dart although initial price will be a little higher.

Thank you for the suggestion. We had 98 Mustang (SN95 platform) before this car and it had the 3.8L V6 but, man I had hard time getting into that car. It had been hit 3 times but, it still kept going until an accident kill it at 171k miles. I'll haven't set inside a Dart yet but, I figure I would FC a try at least. I know I wouldn't be able to work on it but, I would hope it be a better car than the HHR since it would be 6-7 years newer technology but, who knows. If my wife didn't have to drive far I'd consider an older LX Charger. Anyways, it is what it is.

still looks and runs like new ...

I have no doubt about that considering who her mechanic and detail guy is grin.gif

grin.gif

My daily driver is a Toyota. There excellent cars. They have great reliability, and still come at a fair price. My family was an all mopar one until my dad looked into the ratings between a neon, and a corolla. The corolla won hands down. Back in 2002 he bought a 2003 corolla new. Except for basic maintenance we didn't need to do anything to it. It was lost to an accident at 280,000 in sept 2013 it was still mechanically sound before the accident.

I'm afraid a fixed income won't allow the immediate depreciation of a new car. The money lost on the top end kills any resale value advantage of a car.
The rental company's are a good source of low mileage popular cars at a lesser cost. At least they are maintained on a schedule.

I rented a 200 about a year ago, and I actually liked that car. Drove very well and had no problems with it. I'd buy one, but if I were to buy a new vehicle, it would have to be a truck. That's a far more practical vehicle for me, over any car. The Ford and Toyota are what I'd look at. I'm not real crazy about the Ram's ride, and I will NOT touch a GM product newer than 2007. Period.

What's sad about the majority of new vehicles is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to check the automatic trans fluid, as there is NO dipstick or filler tube! Whose idea was this, other than keeping the servicing of said trans in the hands of the stealerships.

Last call for good used Marquis and Town Cars down here. The supply is drying up rapidly.
Oh, did I mention they are a good value, traditional V8 body on frame RWD proven to be a rugged and reliable full size vehicle by an American company?
What else did I forget?
I got Panther love but no money. :(

Last call for good used Marquis and Town Cars down here. The supply is drying up rapidly.
Oh, did I mention they are a good value, traditional V8 body on frame RWD proven to be a rugged and reliable full size vehicle by an American company?
What else did I forget?
I got Panther love but no money. :(

Lot of folks I know have bought used Crown Vic police units at around 100K miles and drive them trouble free well past 200K, and they can be had for around $3500, 2008 and later models even. Just shop for the nicer ones from other than city venues and you should do well. Most of the taxi guys buy these cars because the money they save from not having repair bills offsets the slightly higher fuel use than other models. They seem to be bullet proof.

Regarding Toyotas, the newer ones have a spotty record, as a couple of my friends that use their cars for a living with them have had numerous problems that they didn't expect from the brand, more like the GM cars pre 2010 at least.

I'm with Patrick on looking at the Ford line....
Having to deal with Ma Mopar (lack of) warranty and stealerships for last three years....
Probably going to get a Flex this spring ...
Have a 2011 Challenger ,, currently 15,ooo miles on it... Three years to get the manual trans fixed....

Designed by Germans...
Built by Canadians.......
Sold by Italians ..........
Serviced by Idiots !!!!!

Back