Just over it!

By the 'Tab' in the right image of this picture;

edlfloat-jpg.jpg

Sorry I didn't see it before but I did so closed 7/16 open 1 inch. I'll see what happened and that's to everyone for taking the time ;)

I keep looking at the float and I think it just doesn't look right.

IMHO, the float should be more parallel with the top of the carb. Red line on the drawing.
I also think that the float bracket is bent incorrectly at too sharp an angle. Yellow circle.

float.jpg

Perhaps I'm all wet on this... Maybe someone else can chime in, but I think it should be more like this. I would check the needle and seat to be sure there's no issue there that would allow the needle to go further into the seat.... or if it's the correct needle and seat for that matter.

Example:

edelbrock-carburetor-20.jpg

Last edited:
The reason I did it the way in the photo was that the other side of the drill bit was smaller than the drilling side. Either way I put it all back together and it still didn't solve the problem. I even took all the jets primary and secondary out and boilded them and cleaned out the carb as well.

1518715232189732630126.jpg

In your photo that you circled and placed a line is this the point you're referring to as where the 7/16 bit should go? You also said needle and seat? When I took it apart all I saw was accelerator pump and in the metering rods with Springs I feel like an idiot but I'm not sure where the needle that you're referring to would be located. I've never got into carburetors and I'm now trying so please educate thank you

Needle and seat are where the float pivots. Take the float off and the needle should fall out IIRC.

What you're seeing looks right, the viton tips on the check valves aren't dinged up or grooved and the seats look good too.

Ok well then if I've cleaned the carb, jet (primary and secondary) sprayed everything with carb cleaner and adjusted the floats both in closed and open position I'm thinking it's something other than the carb?

So I placed a inline fuel pressure gauge and when off reads 2/3 psi. Now when running its around 6 psi. Now mind you she drove just fine up till the points going out which i replaced and gapped. Just very frustrated as my post states. Something tells me tho maybe when I poor in some of that mystery oil it messed it up. Just lost..
Dan

Now mind you she drove just fine up till the points going out which i replaced and gapped. Just very frustrated as my post states. Something tells me tho maybe when I poor in some of that mystery oil it messed it up. Just lost..
Dan

Ahh... the plot thickens...

First, 90% of carb problems are electrical in nature.

So... You replaced the points and it hasn't run right since? That would point (no pun intended) back to the points being the culprit. Did you check and/or change the timing? Have you rechecked the gap? Cap and rotor on correctly and in good shape? Plug and coil wires seated in the cap?

Marvel Mystery oil? When did you do that? You might want to check the spark plugs because you may have fouled the plugs.

So I reset the points and she drove good. I had then noticed that oil had been blowing out of the dip stick. I replaced the PCV and that went away no problem. Then I thought just to be safe putting a little MMO in the oil ( possible stuck oil ring i thought) and in the gas couldn't hurt anything I thought since i had the oil spraying issues. I've replaced fuel filter and cleaned out the carb also. So I drain the tank the best I could refilled it and then did all of the above to the carb. So I'm wondering if I have a bad sending unit and that's a pain to pull having a bad back you kmow. Today tho, I drain the rad and the fluid was terrible looking like brown sludge;( I've only had this car since Nov and it's has just sat in the garage . I went on and pulled the rad as well and might as well have it checked before replacing it. But back to the stumbling issues I have no idea. I do feel like it has a stumble on idle and does have new plugs/wires/cap /rotor etc... I'm sure it's needs an overhaul.

I gotta tell you... I have been running MMO a lot too and have no issues. Had no issues with a holley really but lots with that carter/edelbrock style. It just never ran right no matter the jets jr the float adjustment. Then had a holley with annular boosters (best thing ever btw) but with the inconsistent weather here i constantly had to tinker the idle. Switched to efi and that runs sufficient enough now

i have a 1406 edelbrock that has an off idle stumble that i have never been able to solve. it's not uncommon.

You know I wonder if I have a leak in the part of the fuel line that's rubber... I haven't checked but if the body flexes during a turn is that a possibility

You know I wonder if I have a leak in the part of the fuel line that's rubber... I haven't checked but if the body flexes during a turn is that a possibility
I don’t know about that but you could be sucking air through failing rubber hose. Do you run fuel with ethanol and if so do you use any additives to negate its negative effects?

Did you find any clear gelatinous sludge anywhere in your carb? Bottom of the bowls?

Nope everything was very clean even before I took it all a part. Even the gasket looked brand new.

Back