Just purchased a 77 Newport Coupe. Your advice, comments and opinions needed!

Nice car and I wouldn't worry that much about the drive. It sounds like the previous owner was using the car... My only concern would be the aforementioned tire vibration.

I drive old cars like this cross-country quite a bit and was never left stranded. (To be fair I am a mechanic.) But that is what they were designed for; it's just a machine that has no concept of age. Take some hand tools and a cell phone.

I am in agreement, but when I last considered flying and driving... I figured it would be easier and cheaper to just buy a cheap set once you got to the car. Throw away quality tools might cost less than the airline fee to bring them. Murphy's law seems to kick in for me often enough... whatever I have come prepared for, something I wasn't prepared for is the problem.

I am in agreement, but when I last considered flying and driving... I figured it would be easier and cheaper to just buy a cheap set once you got to the car. Throw away quality tools might cost less than the airline fee to bring them. Murphy's law seems to kick in for me often enough... whatever I have come prepared for, something I wasn't prepared for is the problem.
You can always ship your tools out ahead of time.

Looks great!

One thing I noticed is the vacuum control for the AC is not for the AT II but for standard AC. However, since it's been converted to 134a it probably will not matter. If it works, don't fix it! Ha!

Nice car!

One thing I noticed is the vacuum control for the AC is not for the AT II but for standard AC.

Nope. That is the correct vacuum controlled heater valve for 74+ ATC II

28-13-1-768x451.jpg

Great car, the price you paid is certainly fair I would say. My 76 Newp coupe was only $1500 but it needed another $3000 to get it road worthy. Heck it still needs AC work, heater core replaced and the wipers fixed. I love it though and I drive the ever lovin crap out of it. Best purchase ever. I hope you enjoy turning heads and family cruises as much as I do with mine.

Looks great!

One thing I noticed is the vacuum control for the AC is not for the AT II but for standard AC. However, since it's been converted to 134a it probably will not matter. If it works, don't fix it! Ha!

Nice car!
I'm worried about the AT II, given all that is written about it. Can I ask you to expand upon your comments? Does the conversion to 134 A mean anything in terms of how AT II works? Is the current vacuum control wrong? Thanks!

I'm worried about the AT II, given all that is written about it. Can I ask you to expand upon your comments? Does the conversion to 134 A mean anything in terms of how AT II works? Is the current vacuum control wrong? Thanks!

nono-pro-category-banner.jpg

If it blows hot and cold, put it out of your mind.
When it doesn't, we can go from there.
There really is no "preventative maintenance" you can do to prevent ATC II failure.

Just swing by a Canadian Tire store and pick up a kit like this.

Stanley Blitzbox Socket Set, 203-pc | Canadian Tire

They have cheaper tool sets but these are actually good quality and if you lived here, have a lifetime replacement warranty. They also have plier, vise grip and screwdriver kits in all price and quality points and there is usually something useful on sale for 50% off.

It has usually been my experience that if you have them you won't need them. Don't have them never works out the same.

Kevin

They know me by name at my local CTC. Worked there as a teenager still remember the product numbers for most of the Chrysler stuff. Love that store...

• Includes 203 pieces per set
Take away the useless hex drives, torxes, allen wrenches, and the other stuff that won't help you one bit when you break down and you're left with a 103 pc. set.

Take away the useless hex drives, torxes, allen wrenches, and the other stuff that won't help you one bit when you break down and you're left with a 103 pc. set.
But at 100 bucks, I bet your pretty close to what it would cost to transport your same existing tools, and much easier.

But at 100 bucks, I bet your pretty close to what it would cost to transport your same existing tools, and much easier.

Add a $20 set of screwdrivers and $20 house brand 3 piece Vicegrip kit and you're all set. Put them in the trunk and never leave home without them. Cdn $ too so about $100 total.

Kevin

Check the fluids and drive it home, all these people and their paranoia about driving a car a decent distance. Belts and hoses and a fuel filter buy them at the begining of the trip through them in the trunk you will have them on hand if need be. Have fun.

Check the fluids and drive it home, all these people and their paranoia about driving a car a decent distance. Belts and hoses and a fuel filter buy them at the begining of the trip through them in the trunk you will have them on hand if need be. Have fun.
That's the best advice. Bring all the stuff that AutoZone says,
We show zero in stock but we can have it here by 11:00 AM the next morning.
Check the spare and for ALL of the jack equipment.
And check to see if the lug wrench is the same size as the lugs ( I am so effen embarrassed).

Back