leaf springs................

You need more weight in the front only answer is Big Block. JK, Will I would put it back together and go to a truck stop with a scale that can do axel weights like a cat scale each section will give a different weight so you can get a weight on each axel. Then using the total you can figure your tongue weight. I would sure drop the front bars to get the steering back in check. The weight figure on rear axel will work for someone to build springs for you also.

Thanks Bob, but air shocks on a mopar is a big NO-NO. The rear upper shock mount/cross member is a weak link and not designed to withstand supporting vehicle weight. I've repaired/replaced several of them back in the day when guys used air shocks to jack up the rear and mount wider tires. The cross member first bends, then will break at the welds.

I didn't see any reinforced cross member or mounts on my NYB with Air Ride Suspension....looks exactly the same as my Newport.

I think the equalizer I'm using is a good one, but is not height adjustable at the hitch. I'm going to focus on the springs I think.

DSC00004 (Large).jpg

You need more weight in the front only answer is Big Block. JK, Will I would put it back together and go to a truck stop with a scale that can do axel weights like a cat scale each section will give a different weight so you can get a weight on each axel. Then using the total you can figure your tongue weight. I would sure drop the front bars to get the steering back in check. The weight figure on rear axel will work for someone to build springs for you also.

I would consider this as an "ounce of prevention" if for no other reason. If you have any rebuilding, modifications or stuff back there, the weight changed... your car can pull it, but the tongue weight is what's causing your sag and could be excessive. I don't trust manufacturer's labels from that era... not always accurate in my small experience. Hope this helps. Jeff

The 318 pulled just fine and the 904 didn't miss a beat. I got the same gas mileage that a big block gets without a trailer.
I just got a quote of $300.00 for a new set of (7 leaf) springs. I'm leaning that way .....

Personally I would upgrade my hitch, to an adjustable weight distributing hitch, With my truck and trailer, soon as I drop the trailer on the truck it goes from having a rake to level, and any weight on the trailer flattens it down further. I had a old weigh distributing hitch and found an article on how to tune it, I followed the article and even with weight on the trailer, the truck sits level now, mind you I'm using the largest spring bars I could find (1,000 lbs each), the set up originally was for a '78 D100 to pull a 24ft prowler tandem axle travel trailer (5,500lbs GTW), so I figure my car trailer (1,000lbs with ramps, plus a car, say 4,000lbs, plus say some tools/etc in the truck, 500 lbs, 5,500lbs is realistic) weighs roughly the same loaded, and my trucks towing capacity and wheelbase are roughly the same as its original intended set up.

Just my 2 cents, I was ready to add leafs to my truck prior to trying the hitch and then learning to "Tune" it.

Nick

Personally I would upgrade my hitch, to an adjustable weight distributing hitch.

Just my 2 cents, I was ready to add leafs to my truck prior to trying the hitch and then learning to "Tune" it.

Thanks Nick.
I've been through the "tune" procedure with the equalizer bars. A adjustable hitch would allow me to raise the ball height but that's like applying a band aid. The trailer will gain height but the car will still suffer tail drag.

Like the guys here have said. Even thought my original springs are still in decent condition they are still 47 years old and not up to the task of supporting tongue weight. New springs should give me the support needed and that will translate to increased height and level ride.

You can have springs built as stated that will be stiff to hold tongue weight and not increase ride height empty. If you go the weighing route drop the trailer and see what rear car weight is so you can offer that info to spring builder.

I received my new leaf springs. They look good. No grooved leafs so that will add strength and the 7th leaf is a little longer then OEM so they should do what I need them to do.
I was concerned about the rear bushing "eye" being larger then my original but the guy at St Louis spring said he had bushings that will adapt and is sending them, no extra charge. (He may be covering himself for sending the wrong spring), but if they work, I'm happy.

DSC02446 (Large).jpg

DSC02445 (Large).jpg

I asked ESPO for "stock height (sorry, Ross) heavy duty" . They said it would be six leaf.
When are you installing them.?

I asked ESPO for "stock height (sorry, Ross) heavy duty" . They said it would be six leaf.
When are you installing them.?

I received the bushings today. Will install as soon as I get the A/C finished.
We are leaving Dec 21/22nd to spend Xmas in Golf Shores so they will need to be on the car by then.

I installed the springs yesterday, nice fit, a lotta work.....! I put the car on jack stands in the drive and it took me 6 1/2 hours.
It looks like I gained some height, 11/2 or 2 inches. which is a good thing as the Admiral had a little "sag" going 0n. I' don't have a level spot on the property and will check ride height later.
The real test will be when I drop the travel trailer onto the hitch

The new springs are really close to the originals. The 7th leaf, (shortest one). Is a little longer then the original. Plus the rear shackle bushing is a larger diameter. That should improve ride quality some.

Admiral springs.jpg

Last edited:
I installed the springs yesterday, nice fit, a lotta work.....! I put the car on jack stands in the drive and it took me 6 1/2 hours.
It looks like I gained some height, 11/2 or 2 inches. which is a good thing as the Admiral had a little "sag" going 0n. I' don't have a level spot on the property and will check ride height later.
The real test will be when I drop the travel trailer onto the hitch

The new springs are really close to the originals. The 7th leaf, (shortest one). Is a little longer then the original. Plus the rear shackle bushing is a larger diameter. That should improve ride quality some.

did you pull the rear axle housing out too or just swap springs?

did you pull the rear axle housing out too or just swap springs?

The axle stayed in place. I disconnected the shocks at the bottom. Removed the U-bolts and shock plate then R&R'd the springs one at a time. Once everything was back in place and all alignment pins located I tightened everything.

Back