leaf springs................

Springs, bushings, and isolater pads from ESPO... $620.00.
I'm kinda really upset right now.

Maybe if I deduct the pads (expensive) and the $$$hipping, it's more in line.

Don't be... not apples and oranges... but different apples for sure...

ESPO builds to year and model specific specifications. Stan will NOT be disappointed

Post some pic's of your springs when they arrive Stan. I think my springs were meant for a later car, such as your formal, or a later wagon due to the larger "eye" for the rear bushing.
They were shipped yesterday so will be arriving soon.
I agree that leaf appears to have the eye for a Formal.

I did go with ESPO and didn't even look to anybody else because of the high praise I have seen here in the forum.
This is the first time with popping for leaf springs. Uncharted waters for me.
I love this forum.

The engineer in me and remembering my metallurgy courses tells me recurved springs are not a good option.

There's the metal fatigue, the re-arcing, and the re-tempering that leaves too many options for Pablo to screw up.

I did go with ESPO and didn't even look to anybody else because of the high praise I have seen here in the forum.
I love this forum.

I followed advise given here also and talked with several suppliers. St. Lewis spring asked questions very specific to my application and needs. They instilled confidence in me. That coupled with their fair pricing is what made me decide to go with them. I'm thinking "good choice" now.

I think we'll BOTH be very satisfied with our final results.
The best for the NYB. BitterSweet would have gotten a shot of ATF squirted into the squeeky bushing. :D

Different eye altogether it looks like.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Different eye altogether it looks like.

So it is. St. Louis Spring was able to supple a larger bushing that worked with the spring and original shackle. It went together well and I think the larger bushing might be to my advantage with the extra load.

If they can supply the correct bushing to fit, I can't see it making any difference.
The eye is formed by machine. I imagine they have several sets of dies for standard sizes rather than a set of dies for every application out there.

Well........ New springs were not the solution. I gained nothing in ride heigth with Connie hooked onto the Admiral. Still a tail dragger in most entrance/exit drives.

As much as I hate air shocks, I ordered a set today to be delivered to the RV park here. Where I will install them before towing anymore.
I think I'll also swap my hitch receiver for an adjustable highth unit to make sure things stay level.

Well........ New springs were not the solution. I gained nothing in ride heigth with Connie hooked onto the Admiral. Still a tail dragger in most entrance/exit drives.

As much as I hate air shocks, I ordered a set today to be delivered to the RV park here. Where I will install them before towing anymore.
I think I'll also swap my hitch receiver for an adjustable highth unit to make sure things stay level.

I am really sorry they didn't work out for you.

I think, if it were me, I would want to get a loaded tongue weight before I did too much more. I happily admit I don't know very much about weight distributing hitches, and I have no problem believing you understand it better than me.
Tongue weight is what is causing your problem, either there is too much or the Admiral isn't carrying it well. With the new springs, I would guess it isn't the Admiral.

Any weight in front of the trailer axle would increase tongue weight. Fresh water tank drained and any other cargo you could pack rearward in the trailer might help. I am sure I'm not telling you anything you don't know... just trying to be helpful.

Will, take a look at this link for proper adjustment procedure. It is fairly detailed and easy to follow.

http://www.diskdoctor.us/camper/uploaded/How to Adjust the Weight Distributing Hitch.pdf

Definitely worthwhile. I had one with my Grand Caravan pulling a 3500lb camper and was level all the way. The van did not have the load levelling shocks either. Reese made it also Curt DSP etc. Just a caution about removing the bars...use the hitch jack cranked down to relieve the tension on the chains when you unhook. Those chains can really snap once released.

Back