leaf springs................

Screw the Monroe air shocks, Will.
IMHO, it's like jamming 4x4 blocks of wood in there.
Auto leveling AirBags are the way to go.
It keeps the ride height constant without pummeling your kidneys to death.

I would put air bags between the frame kick up and the Axel, run some air lines 1/4" stuff like trucks use to a schader just air up when loaded like air shocks then let air out when empty, that way no need for compressor and leveling valves.

Screw the Monroe air shocks, Will.
IMHO, it's like jamming 4x4 blocks of wood in there.
Auto leveling AirBags are the way to go.
It keeps the ride height constant without pummeling your kidneys to death.

I would put air bags between the frame kick up and the Axel, run some air lines 1/4" stuff like trucks use to a schader just air up when loaded like air shocks then let air out when empty, that way no need for compressor and leveling valves.

That is a solution for dead weight carried in the vehicle, but will not solve the problem of the axle acting as a fulcrum to lift the front of the vehicle. You are just making the pivot point more solid rather than making the weight transfer that is needed in Will's situation.

I thought he was having sag issues, still.

He is, but most likely due to the hitch adjustment, not spring capacity. In my younger days I worked at a trailer dealer getting customers hitched up and ready for the road (before trucks were the tow vehicle of choice). There is no reason his new springs are not up to the task if the hitch is adjusted.

Thanks for the tips guys. This is all basic info, (trailer towing 101), and I've been all through it already.

I load any heavy weight items to just forward of the trailer axle, drain the water holding tank, (rear of trailer), and water heater while traveling. And folddown the 2nd seat and load any heavier items forward of the wagons rear axle.

Air bags will likely be the best bet, but I can install air shocks here at the rv park until I get some that will work.
An adjustable hitch receiver will also help. I usually like to set my hitch ball heigth at 19" when connected. It's been a learning curve with this combo. Although this trailer was designed to be towed with vehicles such as the Admiral, it is still a little on the heavy side. I may take it to a scale and get some tongue and overall vehicle weights.

He is, but most likely due to the hitch adjustment, not spring capacity. In my younger days I worked at a trailer dealer getting customers hitched up and ready for the road (before trucks were the tow vehicle of choice). There is no reason his new springs are not up to the task if the hitch is adjusted.

I agree. Hitch adjustment will make a big difference. The receiver I'm using is as old as the trailer and has no adjustments. A friend says he has a complete leveling hitch system including a sway control that I can have.

I load any heavy weight items to just forward of the trailer axle, drain the water holding tank, (rear of trailer), and water heater while traveling
Why are you adding more weight to the tongue.?

why not just trade in that old very heavy trailer for a much lighter one. or is it a nostalgia thing.

It's a nostalgia thing. A 1968 vintage travel trailer towed behind a 1969 Fury Custom suburban, with all the era trimmings and decor.

There are pictures in the "station wagon" thread, I think.

It's a nostalgia thing. A 1968 vintage travel trailer towed behind a 1969 Fury Custom suburban, with all the era trimmings and decor.

There are pictures in the "station wagon" thread, I think.

I like it very much and would never want to suggest giving up the classics. I am also sure you will get this ironed out, its just a shame your dealing with it on your trip.

Best of luck to you...

Will....did you get the air shocks on yet?

Did it help you out for this trip?

I think I finally solved the saggy rear problem, (I hope).
I removed the new spring set I got from St. Louis spring, then disassembled my original springs and installed the new secondary main leaf they sent me, put everything back together and installed the "original/custom" 8 leaf springs yesterday.

I gained about 2 1/2" over the original ride height so the Admiral sports a slight and noticeable "rake". Combined with my new adjustable hitch and 1000# leveler bars + sway control, all should be good for the New Orleans trip.

Anyone interested in a slightly used set of springs and air shocks check the "for sale" thread.

DSC02570 (Large).JPG

DSC02571 (Large).JPG

DSC02572 (Large).JPG

Last edited:
Back