Looking for advice on car damaged during transport

Another thing to consider...if his insurance gives you a hard time, you could call your insurance and explain what all happened and then they will sue (subrogate) his insurance for the damage. You would be on the hook for your deductible until they settle though.

edit: I wouldn't see why your insurance wouldnt cover it.
Yeah, the broker said that is exactly what they'd do. He just said my problem will be that 7 hour window between me contacting the carrier). It's under my fathers policy and he told me that there is no deductible so I should be able to just call and they'll start the process. I'll have to run to the DMV and grab a temporary tag for it since it's currently under non-op so I can go to a shop for an appraisal.

Yeah, the broker said that is exactly what they'd do. He just said my problem will be that 7 hour window between me contacting the carrier). It's under my fathers policy and he told me that there is no deductible so I should be able to just call and they'll start the process. I'll have to run to the DMV and grab a temporary tag for it since it's currently under non-op so I can go to a shop for an appraisal.

Well, that 7 hour period isnt all that bad. If we were talking days or weeks, then that may be another story.

I would at least contact your agent and get his/her opinion and go from there.

Another thing to consider...if his insurance gives you a hard time, you could call your insurance and explain what all happened and then they will sue (subrogate) his insurance for the damage. You would be on the hook for your deductible until they settle though.

edit: I wouldn't see why your insurance wouldnt cover it.
Totally agree with Mario...In a slightly different case and in a long distance purchase I get insurance way before the seller gets paid (once we're serious and have a verbal agreement) and before car leaves seller's property just in case something happens in the interim or during transport.

Hope you can get around signing off that the car was delivered OK. That's going to be difficult. A really careless driver! Too bad.

In your claim,make sure you include a new windshield and gasket.
They have to be removed to do the repair correctly.
From my experience,there is a risk of cracking the glass during removal and the gasket will not be reusable.
A little bit of leg work regarding parts locating will help you get along with the insurance people.
The trim across the top of windshield will have to be from another sedan or wagon.
Good luck!!

I just made my claim and told them exactly what happened and why the damage wasn't noted on the bill of landing. At this point, all I can do is sit and wait for the adjuster to contact me and hopefully there will be a resolution in my favor. The anxiety from this is horrible lol... part of me wants to part with the car if nothing can be done but I also can't see this repair being **too** expensive. One day at a time I guess, lol.

Hi there,
I thought there would be no better forum to come to than here for talking about my 1968 Chrysler Newport. Sadly, the first post isn't going to be the happiest of posts lol. So, I moved from California's Central Coast to Denver, CO, and I figured it would be easier to have it transported. So we got some quotes, and I was able to get it shipped for $1050.

Today it got delived, and was absolutely filthy. Covered in dirt and various oils. I was an idiot and didn't closely inspect it, and just chatted with the transport guy. Overall, the car is fine... exactly as it was before the move. The issue, however, is that they managed to scrape something on the bodyline where the windshield meets the roof. It bent the metal back, and scraped off some paint in the center of the car.

So I have two questions:
1. What would you guys recommend I do? I tried calling the guy about 30 minutes ago, and his wife answered saying he was unavailable but he'll call me back. Should I go to the broker instead?
2. What would you all expect a repair of this nature to cost? I know that there are many variables involved, and I'll probably have to take it in for a few quotes whether they pay for the damage or if I have to. Ideally, I'd prefer that I didn't pay for it and they own up to it.

Thanks for any input!

Some pictures:
View attachment 196733
View attachment 196734
View attachment 196735
A picture from late 2017. I have a few but these are the only pictures I have, unfortunately.:
View attachment 196736
And how it arrived, before I washed it about an hour ago:
View attachment 196737
Take out the 78 and you have 3CPO from Star wars.lol

It's annoying and frustrating but you have a solid car, not like it was destroyed by fire. I used Reliable Carriers myself, a business trusted to transport multi million dollar cars across the US.

They weren't cheap but did the right thing by me, no hassles with my car.

Good luck, am sure it'll all be repaired soon.

Last edited:
Well, after giving myself some time to think about it and read over the Bill of Landing again, I'm considering dropping the claim as there is a clause on there that says I can't hold them liable for any damage after it is signed. I saved a lot of money using them so what's about a grand (hopefully) to repair it? After how much I think the repair would cost, it'd be comparable to many other quotes I got. I don't want to open myself up to any legal issues stemming from an insurance claim.

As I am a college student, I'll probably just keep working on the engine and replace the transmission pan gasket then fix this once I have money to actually throw at it. It's sad. But it is what it is.

Make your claim, damage like that is not something that would happen due to everyday use, that is damage that occurs in their business. If they try an hide behi d that B.S clause you tell them you are going to flood the car hauling review sites with negative reviews.
Most business contracts are written to protect the business and lay the blame on the consumer.
Don't take that crap!
Don't take

Was the car delivered during the day or night? These clowns will purposely try to deliver a vehicle in poor lighting when they have damaged it. Also, did they come to your door, or did the ask you to meet on the side of a busy road where you may not have had time to look over vehichle due to busy traffic.
You signed an inspection report when vehicle was picked up and you should have a copy that shows no damage in that area

Was the car delivered during the day or night? These clowns will purposely try to deliver a vehicle in poor lighting when they have damaged it. Also, did they come to your door, or did the ask you to meet on the side of a busy road where you may not have had time to look over vehichle due to busy traffic.
You signed an inspection report when vehicle was picked up and you should have a copy that shows no damage in that area
He dropped it off during the afternoon. He dropped it off on a larger road (not busy) next to my house (car was visible from my street), but we just talked a little bit and he handed me the forms and told me to sign. Also, I never got any inspection report. He picked it up from a AAA parking lot as I was already out of the state, so the only paperwork that I have is the Bill of Landing.

Make sure you can replace that windshield before attempting to remove it, SEDAN windshields can be virtually impossible to get as they are NOT available new.

Alan

Make sure you can replace that windshield before attempting to remove it, SEDAN windshields can be virtually impossible to get as they are NOT available new.

Alan
Thanks for the heads up. Also, I noticed you're in Lompoc... I moved to Denver from San Luis Obispo lol

Well, after giving myself some time to think about it and read over the Bill of Landing again, I'm considering dropping the claim as there is a clause on there that says I can't hold them liable for any damage after it is signed. I saved a lot of money using them so what's about a grand (hopefully) to repair it? After how much I think the repair would cost, it'd be comparable to many other quotes I got. I don't want to open myself up to any legal issues stemming from an insurance claim.

As I am a college student, I'll probably just keep working on the engine and replace the transmission pan gasket then fix this once I have money to actually throw at it. It's sad. But it is what it is.

Damn it man, dont give up!! Exhaust all options!! They f****d up your baby! Make em pay!!

Seriously, you may have recourse yet. Have you talked to your agent? Consult a lawyer? Wont cost you anything but time...

Damn it man, dont give up!! Exhaust all options!! They f****d up your baby! Make em pay!!

Seriously, you may have recourse yet. Have you talked to your agent? Consult a lawyer? Wont cost you anything but time...
I don't exactly have an agent. I called and talked to a claims representative and I explained the issue, and they said that they will contact the other insurance company and try to figure something out. So the claim is on-going and thats all that I know at this point.

I don't exactly have an agent. I called and talked to a claims representative and I explained the issue, and they said that they will contact the other insurance company and try to figure something out. So the claim is on-going and thats all that I know at this point.

Does your Pops have an agent?

Back