Looking for opinion - mags vs wheel covers

mcmlvii

Reaction score
I'd like to hear from you folks which is more to your liking, vintage Supermags on my car now or put on steel wheels and some '66 Charger spinner wheel covers I have. I'd have to acquire the steel wheels and have the tires remounted, so it would be some cost to go to wheel covers. In the photo below, the wheel cover is just taped on, so it might look a little odd. Maybe the wheel covers need blackwall tires...
mag_wheel-cover.jpg

mag_wheel-cover.jpg

comparingthe 2 pics, definitely the wheel covers. way more style than those mags..

Mags with black walls of the two choices. You might also want to try the steel wheels painted black with chrome lugs & white outline letters. See it done & it looks quite good.

If it were me I'd go to 15" wheels ... black steelies with chrome lugnuts or hubcaps or Magnum 500s and white letters or red-lines

If you are limited to above two options I like the hubcaps but would turn the white stripes in on on the mag if you go with it

Mags with the tires turned around, my 2 cents. I do like those wheelcovers though...

I'm a wheel cover kind of guy. Make sure those charger covers fit right though. Early 66 and older wheels have more positive offset and those covers will not fit. Later wheels have less positive offset and are deeper on the front side.

DSCF5472.jpgThis is a pre 66 wheel. Notice the center disc is nearer the front edge of the wheel.
DSCF5474.jpgThis is a 66 > wheel. Notice the disc is attached to the wheel portion farther back, making the front deeper.

DSCF5472.jpg

DSCF5474.jpg

If it were mine I would put some effort into polishing and painting the mags.
They are a great vintage style that I have always liked.

Here are two low cost options that I like. Top being my first choice.

113_04_day1_7z+1966_plymouth_fury_III_coupe+left.jpg
1544_02_1966_plymouth_fury_v_i_p__640.jpg

113_04_day1_7z+1966_plymouth_fury_III_coupe+left.jpg

1544_02_1966_plymouth_fury_v_i_p__640.jpg

Back