lower ball joint

ALLAN

Reaction score
our 70 Polara (318) has just failed its annual check because of excessive play in the drivers side lower ball joint, I'm unable to finding a replacement listed anywhere, are they called something us Brits don't understand? Are they the same as fitted to the 'OTHER' MOPARS,you know those showy A & B bodies?

No, lower ball joint and out of production. You gotta find pieces sitting on a shelf. Keep searching the net, they're out there but not on an auto parts store shelf.

our 70 Polara (318) has just failed its annual check because of excessive play in the drivers side lower ball joint, I'm unable to finding a replacement listed anywhere, are they called something us Brits don't understand? Are they the same as fitted to the 'OTHER' MOPARS,you know those showy A & B bodies?
You are allowed up to .080 inches of play in the lower ball joint.
Having some play is normal compared to today's newer cars.

If you really need a lower ball joint,make sure you specify that your car has either front drum or disc brakes.
Unfortunately They do not interchange with other platforms (A,B,E,etc).

I know for a fact National Moparts have them in stock and do ship overseas.
National Moparts
Hope this helps

You are allowed up to .080 inches of play in the lower ball joint.
Having some play is normal compared to today's newer cars.

If you really need a lower ball joint,make sure you specify that your car has either front drum or disc brakes.
Unfortunately They do not interchange with other platforms (A,B,E,etc).

I know for a fact National Moparts have them in stock and do ship overseas.
National Moparts
Hope this helps

Doesn't the 1970 have the same number ? Drum or disc shouldn't matter, same joint.

I purchased new ones for my '70 Newport from rare parts this last summer. They fit well and pleased the alignment guy. They weren't cheap, something around 150-250 Canadian each.

Been years since I rebuilt the front end on my wagon, but was able to get lowers from PST I think, for the 73 disc brake spindles?

I see they have them in a kit....and list them fitting your 70 Polara.

Original Performance Standard Front End Kit

That looks like a good deal right there! And those look like the rare parts lowers, black finish and that tit on the inside is more pronounced than the originals, my only complaint. Though I must admit it could be due to other worn components.
IMG_20180905_161034.jpg

One thing to consider, when the tires are on the ground, all of that "play" vanishes. But should the tire lose contact with the road surface, then it can be a handling issue as everything re-aligns as the weight of the car returns to the wheel.

In the '70s, it was quite common for newer Chrysler products to allegedly need new lower ball joints. Rather than measure the "play" (for which there is a spec in the FSM), the shop would just incorrectly (in many cases) jack up the car and then use a pry bar to move the wheel up and down as the customer watched. "Shouldn't be like that" . . . and then the money started flying, many times unnecessarily on a 50K mile car. Never had to put any ball joints on any of our Chrysler products, even with well past 125K miles on them. For what it's worth. Perhaps TX roads are better than others?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Following CBODY67's comments, I have to agree. Since the early '90's I have owned 16 or more C Bodys and have owned and currently have 8 of them and have never had to change a lower ball joint on any of them. In fact the only front end part I can recall replacing is an Idler Arm and that was on a car with less than 50,000 miles, which was surprising.

Allan,

I have one and I will ship to the UK. Go to this thread and scroll down. The pair are sold but I have a new old stock left lower ball joint for sale.

For Sale - New in box Moog K7003 & K7005 C Body Lower Ball Joints $200

Bill
that would be fantastic, this car has 75k miles on it, how much of the running gear is original is anybodies guess but given the state of the roads around here I'm not surprised its shot. guy at work has gone through 3 rims on his Lexus :(

BIG thank you to Fury GT :thankyou: part arrived today, fitted and been round the block ;all that remains is the re-test. Thanks guys:thumbsup:

Are the Dodge lower ball joints different from the Chrysler? I picked up mine from PST for $65 each about three years ago, unless they stopped selling them. Every time I look at the Rare Parts site, I shake my head and move on.

3A9DD139-FFED-4A65-884A-DCB4B0384F06.png

BIG thank you to Fury GT :thankyou: part arrived today, fitted and been round the block ;all that remains is the re-test. Thanks guys:thumbsup:

Allan,

Glad it worked out for you. If you can, leave me some feedback.

Bill

Are the Dodge lower ball joints different from the Chrysler? I picked up mine from PST for $65 each about three years ago, unless they stopped selling them. Every time I look at the Rare Parts site, I shake my head and move on.

View attachment 259383

No, no difference Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth C Body 65-73 Drum Brakes & 70-73 Disc Brake cars.

I have no experience with PST or Rare Parts products. All I know is that the old stock MOOG, TRW and other brands were made better than Chrysler's lower ball joints, at least the NOS ones that I have come across and sold because the Moog ones are better. Just my 2 cents.

View attachment 259383

Crap! There they are again! I'm 99% sure those are the exact same lowers "rare" parts sells for way more. I just looked at my file, paid 290.00$ Canadian last summer for the two. Damnit! Glad you got your part ALLAN.

I to am unsure of the quality of the PST lowers, I do have a set in my 68 T/C wagon with the 73 disc brake conversion I did, probably have about 10-15K miles on them and car has driven well over the years. I do have a set of the old stock Moog K-7003/5 lowers squired away, will most likely swap them in if those PST lowers ever go south. ;)

I have my front end pulled apart to blast everything, and was just going to replace my LBJ dust boots.
I didn't notice any play in the joints, until all the grease was cleaned out. Now I'm guessing they can be pulled in and out about .125.

Is there a good way to check LBJ play on the bench?

I was going to put them in a vice, and rig up a dial indicator to check vertical play, or in and out of the socket.

Would the .080 number be the limit to be looking for?

Checking the 2 from my 65, and the 2 on the disc brake swap sitting there, they all seem to have similar clearance in and out.

Back