Mechanical Fuel pump brand recommendation

65GUS

Reaction score
im thinking the diaphram is leaking inside the pump housing as the clear fuel filter is now empty after sitting for 7-8 days. its bled partially off before but never emptied the fuel filter. i cant really tell if the motor oil has a gas smell to it or not. reading past threads seems like a new Carter pump is the best stock 318 mechanical fuel pump available. im open to advice and opinions, thanks

It's been a long observed fact that Chrysler's "clear" fuel filters NEVER run "full", ever. Not sure why, but I've observed an empty filter on our '66 Newport as it ran perfectly. Time and time again.

IF the diaphram is leaking, it should be putting a fuel pattern on the fuel pump, out of the weep hole. IF the diaphram is leaking into the crank case, the smell of raw gasoline on the dipstick will be very obvious.

IF you feel you need a new fuel pump, Carter is one of the best brands, as they were also OEM with Chrysler back then, too.

Your money to spend,
CBODY67

I replaced mine last year with a Carter. Get a hold of Craig @mobileparts . He is a member on here who will have what you need at a fair price and he knows his parts. Any type of brake, suspension or tune up/ ignition / electrical parts you may need check with him first. He has the older stock, quality made parts you want on your car. Leave him a message and he will get back to you. Quite a few of us here are satisfied, repeat customers.

As noted, a leaking diaphragm will usually leak out of the weep hole, that is why that hole is there, to keep fuel out of the crankcase. Carter still makes the best fuel pumps.

Dave

I replaced mine last year with a Carter. Get a hold of Craig @mobileparts . He is a member on here who will have what you need at a fair price and he knows his parts. Any type of brake, suspension or tune up/ ignition / electrical parts you may need check with him first. He has the older stock, quality made parts you want on your car. Leave him a message and he will get back to you. Quite a few of us here are satisfied, repeat customers.
I know Craig he only sells top parts.

thanks guys for the replies and advice, think i'll do a new carter pump and add the old one to the used but still working parts collection in the tote in the trunk.

Back